Can Immig issue re-entry permit 8 weeks in advance

We have booked a holiday abroad for the end of May. 

If I have to go to Immig to do the 90 day reporting next week can I get the 're-entry permit' as well even though the holiday is 8 weeks away?

If I instead get it at swampie where exactly is the counter? Do I do it after checking in? 

If my ext of stay based on employment expires 8th of june will they find it a problem to issue the permit if Im flying back into thailand 3 days prior on the 5th June?

thanks

Edited by davidst01

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

and it is valid for as long as the extension is valid.

Assuming it's a multi-re-entry permit.

A single re-entry permit would cease to be valid as soon as it's used once or until the extension of stay expires.

That might seem obvious, but experience has proven that what's obvious to many TV readers isn't obvious to some of our "special" members.

The issue could be your Immigration Office which may see the date too distant. I tried once a month out and was told to return one week before leaving and I must say my Immigration Office is one of the good ones that never tries to put blocks in my way with any process.

You can put anything down for the travel dates on the re-entry permit application. As far a I have experienced, they never ask for any proof of travel and nothing gets recorded with the permit itself. Maybe its different at some offices, but they've only been interested in the fee being paid when I have done it.

Getting it at the airport is an exception as they will want to see your boarding pass. However, at Suvarnabhumi it has been moved past security again so you need to have checked in anyway. It has changed locations a couple of times in the past year or so, so I would recommend checking the Suvarnabhumi sub-forum for the most up to date details.

For the past five years I have obtained a multi re - entry permit from the Chiang Mai Immigration  office at the same time as I have renewed my extension to stay based on retirement.

There has never been a problem and have never been asked about travel plans.

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

and it is valid for as long as the extension is valid.

17 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Assuming it's a multi-re-entry permit.

A single re-entry permit would cease to be valid as soon as it's used once or until the extension of stay expires.

That might seem obvious, but experience has proven that what's obvious to many TV readers isn't obvious to some of our "special" members.

That's a rather pedantic reply to UJ if you read what the OP stated.

He is flying out once and returning just before his current extension expires.

14 hours ago, Pepper1959 said:

The issue could be your Immigration Office which may see the date too distant. I tried once a month out and was told to return one week before leaving and I must say my Immigration Office is one of the good ones that never tries to put blocks in my way with any process.

Which particular immigration office are we talking about here?

Many people obtain a re-entry permit at the same time that they re-new their permission to stay....whether they have immediate plans to travel or not. For many it is a contingency plan ( just in case something happens and they need to travel)...and the cost is irrelevant.

saves the hassle should something happen and you need to travel at short notice.

• Like 1

Yes you can get a re-entry permit and have it in your passport.

That way if you need to leave suddenly for an emergency at home on short notice your re-entry permit allows you to return to Thailand afterwards as long as the re-entry permit has not expired.

That way if you are on an annual retirement extension, and there is an emergency at home you need to deal with, the re-entry visa keeps your retirement extension still valid on returning to Thailand and you do not have to start with another retirement extension after you return..

Your re-entry permit is good for the period of your yearly retirement extension.

For many of us retirees living on yearly annual retirement extensions a re-entry  permit is an annual investment.

Regarded as cheap travel insurance.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
correct typo
  • Like 2