Annual car tax renewal - advice on process

turgid

I need to renew my annual  car tax at the end of April and the Insurance expires on the 26th April  This is my first time doing this here. The Songkran holiday might mess things up so i want to start the process now if possible.

Can someone tell me the workflow for this and documents required ? If its already in another post then a pointer would be useful because i cant find it.

I assume Blue Book

Driving license

Insurance Certificate

Is a vehicle inspection required and where would I do that?

How long typically  does it take to get the insurance certificate issued  and typically what is the processing time for the tax disk

Will I need the letter from the embassy if I renew at the same  office where I registered the car ?

Thanks

If your vehicle is less than 7 years old you don't need a vehicle inspection. You will need to buy the compulsory government insurance (about 500 baht) and then you just show your blue book and pay the tax. In Bangkok it takes about 20 minutes depending on how busy it is. If you've already bought the government insurance you can also use the Drive Through service for the tax.

Thanks for this. Just noticed that the Tax expires end June not April. I assumed it was anniversary of purchase date but now realise its anniversary of changing red to white plates which is presumably why I got a fine for having red plates last year to encourage me to get the Tax done **

So supplementary question -  How early can you apply for the tax ?  If it expires 30th June can I apply any time in June  ?. How many days grace after expiry date if any.

** Bangkok to Mukdahan  I got stopped for speeding which I wasn't and refused to pay a"fine"  and then 10 KM down the road got stopped for having red plates and not completing the log book. Fine was magically the same.  I never ever put an entry in the log book and apart from this occasion nobody ever checked it.  I have noticed however pretty much every time I drive Bangkok to Mukdahan I will get stopped for speeding and now treat it as a toll road  payment. Never been fined  anywhere else. 

One month ....you will need the Blue Book and as a minimium government insurance. Usually the government insurance is offered at the same time as the 1st class.

Very silly not to complete the Brown Book before every journey. Just keep a pencil and rubber with the book ...less than 30 seconds and you are done.

Buy a car cam with gps and it will record you speed. Tell bib to watch the play back ... take your time showing it to him ... he will miss many cars and probably wave you off ... quickly

On 02/04/2017 at 11:52 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

If your vehicle is less than 7 years old you don't need a vehicle inspection. You will need to buy the compulsory government insurance (about 500 baht) and then you just show your blue book and pay the tax. In Bangkok it takes about 20 minutes depending on how busy it is. If you've already bought the government insurance you can also use the Drive Through service for the tax.

Also, you do not have to do it personally. Our office has a motorcycle taxi guy that we have used for years to do courier work for us. I haven been paying him 200 baht to to to the transport office and do it for me. Yeah, I know, lazy, but....

4 hours ago, bubba said:

Also, you do not have to do it personally. Our office has a motorcycle taxi guy that we have used for years to do courier work for us. I haven been paying him 200 baht to to to the transport office and do it for me. Yeah, I know, lazy, but....

Second that.  My local transport office is a nut house.  Go to any insurance agent with your blue book and they will do it for you for a small commission.  Pick up your book a few days later.  Done and done back to the pool.

If you have other insurance than the compulsory, normally the insurance agent will do the tax-service for free; i.e. you pay 1st class (or like) insurance, compulsory insurance and tax to the insurance agent, and pick-up everything (insurance papers and Blue Book) a few days after...

Edited by khunPer

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 11:45 AM, turgid said:

I need to renew my annual  car tax at the end of April and the Insurance expires on the 26th April  This is my first time doing this here. The Songkran holiday might mess things up so i want to start the process now if possible.

Can someone tell me the workflow for this and documents required ? If its already in another post then a pointer would be useful because i cant find it.

I assume Blue Book

Driving license

Insurance Certificate

Is a vehicle inspection required and where would I do that?

How long typically  does it take to get the insurance certificate issued  and typically what is the processing time for the tax disk

Will I need the letter from the embassy if I renew at the same  office where I registered the car ?

Your insurance will do it for you for about Bht 200-, that's what I do and have been doing all these years.

There are Government approved institutions, more like shops, where you bring your car or motorcycle, with a document provided by your insurance, for inspection.

Where I live it is the Esso gas pump station.

They hook my 27 year old car up at a computer which is hooked up to a computer at the car tax office or Land Transport Office.

They start my car and do some fiddling with the computer and presto, good for another year.

Lots of backslapping and guffawing and OKs from the Thais.

Wait a few days and get the new tax sticker from my insurance agent.

Yesterday I paid the tax for a 15 year old motorcycle, which also is modified, in the same way.

3 days wait for the sticker.

As This is Thailand it means that you did what the Law says you have to do, to get your car or motorcycle tax paid and insured,  it doesn't mean that your car or motorcycle has to be in a pristine state.:smile:

In short, pay a Bht 200- fee and your insurance agent will take care of it.