UK tourism body calls for visa-free EU travel after Brexit

webfact

UK tourism body calls for visa-free EU travel after Brexit

REUTERS

r10.jpg

A European Union flag is waved in front of Big Ben outside Parliament after Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May triggered the process by which the United Kingdom will leave the European Union in London, March 28, 2017. REUTERS/Stefan Wermuth

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain should aim to secure visa-free travel between the UK and the European Union in upcoming negotiations to leave the bloc, an association of travel agents said on Tuesday, adding that a transitional deal could also help the sector.

Britain formally began its divorce from the European Union last Wednesday, and airlines have demanded that their sector is prioritised in the forthcoming two years of negotiations to ensure there is no disruption to flights.

The Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA) said the maintenance of visa-free travel between the EU and UK after Brexit was among its key priorities.

Other goals for ABTA included the protection of Britons' ability to travel freely to Europe and beyond and safeguards for consumer rights, as well as stability and growth opportunities for British businesses.

"Travel and tourism is one of the UK's largest industries and it is vital that the Government makes sure it can continue to thrive during and after the negotiations," said Mark Tanzer, Chief Executive of ABTA.

The trade body also said a transitional arrangement may be needed, to give consumers certainty given that some holidays are sold a year and a half in advance.

Currently Britain is due to leave the European Union in March 2019, whether or not an agreement over the terms of its departure can be reached.

Unlike trade arrangements, which will default to World Trade Organisation rules if no deal is reached, the aviation sector has "no international fall-back option," the ABTA report said.

(Reporting by Alistair Smout, editing by Pritha Sarkar)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-04-04

There are currently 56 non EEA countries whose citizens are what are known as non visa nationals.

This means that they can enter the UK for up to 6 months as a tourist or family visitor without first obtaining a visa.

I see no reason why EEA nationals should not be such post Brexit; as long as the EU grants the same to British nationals.

7 hours ago, alant said:

I dont recall needing a vise pre Brexit so I cant think why they would institute a need now.

Ever since the UK joined what was then the EEC in 1973 British citizens have enjoyed freedom of movement, i.e. visa free travel, to all other member states; and vice versa.

So it is not the pre Brexit situation you need to recall; it's the pre 1973 one!

My memory's not that good; how's yours?

16 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Ever since the UK joined what was then the EEC in 1973 British citizens have enjoyed freedom of movement, i.e. visa free travel, to all other member states; and vice versa.

So it is not the pre Brexit situation you need to recall; it's the pre 1973 one!

My memory's not that good; how's yours?

You are sort of right although pre 1973 was pre Brexit. Yes I was really saying UK citizens did not need a visa to travel to member states before we joined as far as I recall.

28 minutes ago, alant said:

You are sort of right although pre 1973 was pre Brexit. Yes I was really saying UK citizens did not need a visa to travel to member states before we joined as far as I recall.

With the exception of the former 'Soviet Block' countries of Eastern Europe, this is most certainly true. British forces serving in Germany in the '60s and '70s had the run of Europe, including Yugoslavia, for their holidays.

I don't recall a single European country where British citizens required a visa prior the formation of the Common Market as it was then known.

Come to think of it UK passport holders have the highest degree of visa free travel in the world at 160 countries. But we're not alone, we tie with  Denmark, Finland, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg and Singapore for that exalted privilege.

Cool eh!

Edited by Moonlover
Add paragragh