Complete newbie looking for advice

Hi everyone

I wonder if anyone can offer some advice or assistance ? I'm searching the forums however unsure of what path to take if indeed any is available.

I 'm leaving Australia at the end of the April once my 457 Visa finishes and I have the opportunity to purchase a piece of land in Thailand via a friend's wife. Having spoken to the consulate it seems the maximum Visa I can get from Oz is six months. That said a different person at the consulate told me I can get one year. Not long enough to try to build a house by any stretch of the imagination.

I've so many conflicting stories of people doing these visa runs back and forward in order to reside in Thailand but have also been told that this loophole has been tightened up. Does anyone have any experience of a similar situation or can offer advice on the best way round being able to stay in Thai for the foreseeable future? If anyone has any hints or tips I would be massively grateful. I do not plan to work in Thailand, I'm from UK and 46.

In thinking I may need to come back to the UK, where my citizenship is held in order to apply for an extended visa perhaps up to one year. That obviously still has the problem of exit and re-entry. Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Aliens cannot own land in Thailand you are sure to be fleeced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am SURE that the thread-starter knows about that information. He is writing that he will buy land "through a friends wife",  you know...

Glegolo

I am SURE that the thread-starter knows about that information. He is writing that he will buy land "through a friends wife",  you know...

Glegolo

Not necessarily, the query is so broad it's akin to ask a mechanic how to build a car after reading a few books.
Demonstration of foundation knowledge is needed or answers like that will appear

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

Hi thanks for the replies and yes, apologies for the very broad questions.
Having visited a few times I'm comfortable my friends wife is a trustworthy source and would not fleece me. Also agreed an initial 6 months would allow me to get a feel for the place and make more informed decisions.
I guess the crux of what I'm asking is, in your experience, are there ways for me to leave without all my belongings after the 6 month period and then return with a view of making a future (all being good after 6 months)
Thanks again

you might be able to get a METV from a thai embassy/consulate in the UK.  check their websites for the requirements.  the METV, if used properly, can provide you with approximately 9 months of stay in thailand.

you might want to hold off a bit on the buy land/build house option.  you won't really own the land and a family member of the woman who you do the deal with could run up a gambling debt and then they'll use the land you think you own to pay off the debt.  it will always be family first for the thais (and most other nationalities).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Nelson24 said:

Having spoken to the consulate it seems the maximum Visa I can get from Oz is six months. That said a different person at the consulate told me I can get one year.

The 6 months would be a multiple entry tourist visa that allows unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months from the date of issue. Each 60 day entry can be extended for 30 days at an immigration office. It is possible to get almost 9  months of total stay by getting a a new 60 day entry just before the visa expires and extending that entry for 30 days at an immigration office.

You will not be able to a one year visa unless you a can qualify for it for certain reasons. For example, retirement, marriage to a Thai, working or for attending school.

• Like 1

Hi thanks for the replies and yes, apologies for the very broad questions.
Having visited a few times I'm comfortable my friends wife is a trustworthy source and would not fleece me. Also agreed an initial 6 months would allow me to get a feel for the place and make more informed decisions.
I guess the crux of what I'm asking is, in your experience, are there ways for me to leave without all my belongings after the 6 month period and then return with a view of making a future (all being good after 6 months)
Thanks again

Yes, there's options, start with a METV which can be extended to around 9 months, then you could probably do SETV from various Embassy around Thailand for a couple of years, then education visa. This might take you to 50 where you can get a retirement visa.
Or if you have the money buy a elite 5 year visa.
More details on all these in the various forums.

Sent from my S7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Are you over 50 years of age ?

Things are changing if you get refused a visa at let's say Hong Kong then you have to fly to another Embassy or try a visa exemption if you have the cash on you they will likely give you a warning but let you in then you can at least get your stuff or make new arrangement like getting married 5555

Sent from my S7 using Tapatalk

To the original poster:

- Always always listen to Ubonjoe, he is by far the most knowledgeable person on this site in regard to visas and aligned matters. His sharing and comments are always accurate according to the actual laws and regulations.

Beware of keyboard warriors (everybody's an expert) who often give wrong comments, often aligned to what they would personally like to see, in regard to visas, rather than the facts, etc.

Many thanks for your help

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, rhodie said:

The problem you have is that you can only really apply for a METV to get up to 9 months as mentioned. And that means leaving the country twice in those 9 months.  After that you will either need to go to a neighboring country for a SETV multiple times to get up to 3 months each stay or return to your native country to get another METV. But, you can't get too many of these from 1 place. At 46/47 you would need a lot of these. If money is no problem, get a Thai elite visa for 500,000 baht and have 5 years before you need to worry, and by then you will qualify for a retirement visa. Good luck.

Do the METV get up to nine months then either do Single Entry TV or you can get 2 Visa exempt entries per calendar year . Live here and rent for a while . Beware of the village pest's (volume 10 high base music) and roosters cocking all day long

Edited by riclag

1 minute ago, riclag said:

Do the METV get up to nine months then either do Single Entry TV or you can get 2 Visa exempt entries per calendar year .

The 2 entry rule is only for land border crossings. By air there is no limit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, buick said:

you might be able to get a METV from a thai embassy/consulate in the UK.  check their websites for the requirements.  the METV, if used properly, can provide you with approximately 9 months of stay in thailand.

you might want to hold off a bit on the buy land/build house option.  you won't really own the land and a family member of the woman who you do the deal with could run up a gambling debt and then they'll use the land you think you own to pay off the debt.  it will always be family first for the thais (and most other nationalities).

He's in Australia on a visa, he can apply for one there. Australia is the exception to the rule on METVs as they'll allow anyone in the country on a proper visa to apply, not just residents/ citizens.

1 hour ago, lordblackader said:

He's in Australia on a visa, he can apply for one there. Australia is the exception to the rule on METVs as they'll allow anyone in the country on a proper visa to apply, not just residents/ citizens.

Third time I've heard that with no evidence.  If you have some please to post it.  Thank you in advance.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A off topic inflammatory post has been removed. The topic is about the OP needing a visa not about buying land or a house. He made the mistake of even mentioning that.

Again

1 hour ago, csabo said:

Third time I've heard that with no evidence.  If you have some please to post it.  Thank you in advance.

Csabo, if you read the OP's first post you will see that he contacted the Australian Embassy and they informed him that he could get an METV as he is there on a valid visa.

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A off topic inflammatory post has been removed. The topic is about the OP needing a visa not about buying land or a house. He made the mistake of even mentioning that.

Third time so no further notice will be posted when they are removed.

• Like 1

Visa can be got around (student visa, or tourist visa in home country, followed by two more at consulates in neighbouring countries), but the OP needs to seriously take into consideration that he will not be buying land for himself. He will be buying land for his friend's wife / in-laws and any structure on that land, and the land itself, will be theirs in the eyes of the law, theirs probably in his friend's eyes, and also in the eyes of any Thai lawyer he may instruct (despite what they say while taking the fee), and any court that has to deal with this later down the line will see it as belonging to the friend's wife / family.
As long as the OP accepts this, and takes into account he may have to vacate the house / land at some point in the future then by all means he should go ahead with the plan.
Situations have a habit of changing very quickly and this plan is full with so many variables it makes the mind boggle.
Best of luck with it anyways.        

• Like 1

There are always ways to stay here indefinitely. Getting a teaching job is one of them, a one year visa, renewed year after year on the renewal of your contract. It's good pocket money, and you won't go off the rails [ or balcony ] because you have too much time on your hands to drink, or whore your life away. 'Work relieves us from the burden of our leisure' Voltaire.

Rent, rent, rent, in that order. If you really have to buy land. The going rate for a rai of rural land is 60,000 Baht. Don't be one of the fools who buys for 500.000 !!

• Like 1

OP you are a 46 year old Brit leaving Australia, wanting to buy land in Thailand but you do not wish to live there.

Sorry am I missing something? I'm just not understanding the logistics of doing that if you don't wish to reside.

OP you are a 46 year old Brit leaving Australia, wanting to buy land in Thailand but you do not wish to live there.

Sorry am I missing something? I'm just not understanding the logistics of doing that if you don't wish to reside.

You will have to excuse me, first time poster on ANY forum, it's an education!

Yes I do wish to reside however would like to have the option to return home (see elderly family) on an annual basis. I certainly want to contribute to the local community however see myself as transient, the chance to explore the continent would be a fantastic opportunity. It's the getting in, living and moving between that concerns.

Thanks again to all who have continued.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You know, was such a sight today seeing all the smokie fires as it is Qingming here, honestly don't know what to advise you, there were folks burning all bits of money around trees. I mean smoke fires, did I say smokie very sorry can't delete it now.

So my advice is do your homework before a venture and all the very best to you.

• Like 1