Retirement visa renewal problem

My mate's in a quandary. His retirement visa is due to run out next week,  for his renewal he has 800k (no income) in Thai bank account but it hasn't been seasoned for  3 months. What can he do?

He went to Lao over this weekend to get an O visa, but was given a form requiring a police affirmation of non-criminal activity (amongst other requirements which he can produce). As he left the UK many years ago he cannot meet this  requirement, or at least in time. Any one know what's best?

He could go to Laos and get a single entry tourist visa, come back and convert.

or

The agents in Pattaya who work with the Immigration Department there will very readily sort out an immediate solution for him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

My mate's in a quandary

your mate ,  may need to go to Laos for a tourist visa then go through the retirement visa process at a later date.

Ubonjoe is very knowledgeable on this, so he may offer some advice.

6 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

He went to Lao over this weekend to get an O visa, but was given a form requiring a police affirmation of non-criminal activity (amongst other requirements which he can produce). As he left the UK many years ago he cannot meet this  requirement, or at least in time. Any one know what's best?

I assume he entered the country without a visa and got a 30 day visa exempt entry.

He could apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at some immigration offices and the then apply for the a new extension (not a visa) based upon retirement. He would need 15 days remaining on his entry or the 30 day extension of it.

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

your mate ,  may need to go to Laos for a tourist visa then go through the retirement visa process at a later date.

Ubonjoe is very knowledgeable on this, so he may offer some advice.

From my recollection, I thought it wasn't possible to convert a tourist visa to a retirement visa. If that's the case would he have to start again by going to the British embassy in BKK?

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume he entered the country without a visa and got a 30 day visa exempt entry.

He could apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at some immigration offices and the then apply for the a new extension (not a visa) based upon retirement. He would need 15 days remaining on his entry or the 30 day extension of it.

They wouldn't issue him an O visa at Laos because he didn't have the necessary documentation, see above. And apologies, Ubonjoe, but I don't understand your response as he has instead applied for a tourist visa at Laos.

2 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

From my recollection, I thought it wasn't possible to convert a tourist visa to a retirement visa. If that's the case would he have to start again by going to the British embassy in BKK?

The is no retirement visa that can be applied for within the country. A extension of stay based upon retirement can applied for at an immigration office.

Not sure what you think he could do at British embassy.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

The is no retirement visa that can be applied for within the country. A extension of stay based upon retirement can applied for at an immigration office.

Not sure what you think he could do at British embassy.

he hasn't the funds seasoned, Joe, so he can't do that. The British Embassy could issue an income letter if he provides proof of income - but he hasn't time to do that.

1 minute ago, stephenterry said:

They wouldn't issue him an O visa at Laos because he didn't have the necessary documentation, see above. And apologies, Ubonjoe, but I don't understand your response as he has instead applied for a tourist visa at Laos.

Those documents have recently been mentioned in other topics. They will accept a Thai police clearance certificate no need to get one from the UK.

I assumed he had already left Laos. If he is getting at tourist visa he can apply for the non immigrant visa entry at any time during the 60 day entry from it up to the last 15 days.

4 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

he hasn't the funds seasoned, Joe, so he can't do that. The British Embassy could issue an income letter if he provides proof of income - but he hasn't time to do that.

Edit: It is a bit late to get income letter from embassy. If he could of gotten it before he left the country he could of applied for the extension.

To apply for the 90 day non immigrant visa entry at immigration the money only has to be in the bank on the date of application.

He will have the money in the bank long enough to apply for the extension of stay near the end of 90 day entry from the visa. 

Edited by ubonjoe

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Those documents have recently been mentioned in other topics. They will accept a Thai police clearance certificate no need to get one from the UK.

I assumed he had already left Laos. If he is getting at tourist visa he can apply for the non immigrant visa entry at any time during the 60 day entry from it up to the last 15 days.

Okay, good news about the Thai police clearance certificate. Am I correct in saying the 60 day TV can be converted to a O visa, and when his money has seasoned he can apply for an OA retirement visa without leaving Thailand? Or is that incorrect? 

3 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Okay, good news about the Thai police clearance certificate. Am I correct in saying the 60 day TV can be converted to a O visa, and when his money has seasoned he can apply for an OA retirement visa without leaving Thailand? Or is that incorrect? 

Partly correct.

A OA visa can only be applied for at the embassy in London.

He can apply for a one year extension of stay (It is not a visa) at an immigration office without leaving the country during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the non immigrant visa.