Timing belt - timing chain Honda City 2012 I-vtec

glegolo

1 hour ago, Gary A said:

Apparently the timing belts are much better than they were years ago. I bought a new Chrysler K car shortly after they came out. Of course just after the warranty expired, the belt broke. The engine was a basket case and needed to be replaced.

Since then I have avoided any engine with a belt. I was enthused when the new Toyota Revo came out with a timing chain. I dealt on a new one but couldn't get together with the moron salesman. I ended up with an Isuzu. I have never heard of a chain breaking.

Do some research on BMW timing chains.  They have had plenty and the repair costs make belts look pretty good.  

Chain tensioners can also be a problem on some engines. 

Belts and chains both have advantages and disadvantages.  Both can fail if not designed well.

One nice feature of belts - zero maintenance. Zero lubrication. Tensioner external so easy to check and service. Follow recommended change interval and no worries. Had them on many HD's, some with much more than stock HP. Never an issue. But inspect on a regular basis in that application.

Don't mention N47 engines ...

34 minutes ago, Jitar said:

Do some research on BMW timing chains.  They have had plenty and the repair costs make belts look pretty good.  

Chain tensioners can also be a problem on some engines. 

Belts and chains both have advantages and disadvantages.  Both can fail if not designed well.

A friend of mine up here in the boonies had a Mitsubishi Jeep. The timing belt broke and there were bent valves and cracked pistons. A local shop repaired the mess and several weeks later it happened again. The belt didn't break but it jumped several cogs. The repair shop installed the wrong belt. Looking at the belt and the pulleys, it was obvious what the problem was.  The replacement belt had rounded cogs and the old original belt had more square type cogs. Amazingly enough the shop admitted fault and repaired the engine at their cost. I felt a little bad for the shop even though it was their fault. I might add that it was a diesel engine.

13 minutes ago, Gary A said:

A friend of mine up here in the boonies had a Mitsubishi Jeep. The timing belt broke and there were bent valves and cracked pistons.

Yeah designers of such engines should be hung, drawn & quartered IMO it doesn't take much to design an engine as such as to when a belt breaks whatever no contact comes with valve and pistons.

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah designers of such engines should be hung, drawn & quartered IMO it doesn't take much to design an engine as such as to when a belt breaks whatever no contact comes with valve and pistons.

Yes indeed. Better designed engines are called non-interference engines. If the belt breaks, the engine just shuts off and with no damage.

9 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

9 hours ago, Gary A said:

Yes indeed. Better designed engines are called non-interference engines. If the belt breaks, the engine just shuts off and with no damage.

Interference engines are not inferior designs.  Valve / piston interference is a design compromise for higher compression, performance and emissions. 

2 hours ago, Jitar said:

Interference engines are not inferior designs.

Disagree  " An interference engine is one that has insufficient clearance between the valves and pistons if the cam stops turning due to a broken timing belt the result is usually catastrophic engine failure."

Just my opinion is engines shouldn't have rubber belts it's just a cost saving, l rather pay more for chain or cog driven design that's all. :smile:

Edited by Kwasaki