Thai social instincts

bazza73

I fell off my scooter some years ago after skidding on some gravel. Within about 30 seconds, there were 4 Thais there helping me to my feet.

Up at Doi Mae Salong a couple of days ago, I witnessed a rather bad accident where a family of three ( Father, mother and daughter ) came off a scooter. The daughter was very distressed. The mother fell about 10 metres down a slope of broken bricks and tiles, and sustained head injuries. No helmets on all three.

Within a very short time, there were three women comforting the child. There were six Thais down the slope lifting the mother and bringing her up to the road. The restaurant proprietor called an ambulance about 30 seconds after the accident.

Is this where the Thais are better than us? In Western society, the tendency seems to be walk on by. Thais seem to instinctively rush to help - it's like it is hard-wired.

I don't know which "Western Society" you come from, but in my home state of Oregon that would be normal and expected. I've seen it and I've done it. Not quite so many opportunities regarding crashes, as we tend to follow the laws (call it nanny state if you wish)... a bit better than ninny state.

18 hours ago, bazza73 said:

Is this where the Thais are better than us?

Ridiculously worded question that implies all Thais and all of "us" (whoever that might be) are better or worse than the other, especially since it implies that "we" are better than "them" in every other way and you stumbled across the one single way Thais score better. 

While it may seem innocuous to judge all members of one nationality or race positively when we experience something good, that comes at the expense of assuming if one person from a race other than our own does something bad all people of the same race or nationality are to be similarly judged.

18 hours ago, bazza73 said:

In Western society, the tendency seems to be walk on by. Thais seem to instinctively rush to help - it's like it is hard-wired.

That also is nonsense. Do you really think there is such a thing as a single western society where everyone behaves in a uniform way? 

If there is any reason why people don't rush to "comfort" people involved in an accident it's because much of the western world has become so litigious that if you interfere you're setting yourself up for legal headaches and costs. But even with that in mind, in many situations people in the west often put themselves in danger, legally or physically, to help others.

Stop thinking about everything in terms of us versus them, if for no other reason than there is no "us" and there is no "them."

I've seen a fair few accidents or incidents in Thailand where people don't step in to help, but instead stand around looking at the aftermath with a blank, expressionless look on their face which I find truly bizarre.  Sometimes people step in to help, but I've seen incidents in Thailand with crowds of onlookers and no-one or few people offered assistance.

52 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Better stop feed this troll.

Sadly, I think you're right.

Back in our Western countries we've all seen the mildest of incidents (someone falling over) to the worst (road accidents where people have been seriously hurt or killed) and, without fail - one or many have stopped to help in any way they can.

Its unlikely the OP has never seen this - which leads to the obvious conclusion....

31 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Not better, just less afraid of law suits... which is pretty sad.

I disagree as whilst many in the West may be afraid of moving the injured (as they know that may cause more harm than good), that's about as far as it goes as they're still there to comfort and provide whatever help possible.  As shown in the recent 'terrorist' attacks.

Thais may not know about the possible harm of moving the injured, but more often than not a few will help as best they can.

Edited by dick dasterdly

1 hour ago, mstevens said:

I've seen a fair few accidents or incidents in Thailand where people don't step in to help, but instead stand around looking at the aftermath with a blank, expressionless look on their face which I find truly bizarre.  Sometimes people step in to help, but I've seen incidents in Thailand with crowds of onlookers and no-one or few people offered assistance.

A lot of them are too busy taking photos, morbid lot.

19 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

and the UK.

In Germany it is actually illegal to not help and provide first aid.

That said, I think most people would help out of kindness anyway, not out of fear of the law.

Just now, wump said:

In Germany it is actually illegal to not help and provide first aid.

That said, I think most people would help out of kindness anyway, not out of fear of the law.

In which case perhaps times have changed.

I took a first aid course three (?) decades ago and was told very clearly that if I helped, but did something wrong - I could be sued.

Which is probably why the course largely consisted of ensuring that all bandages were tied very neatly :lol:.

Not the case:

In Germany, "Unterlassene Hilfeleistung" (failure to provide assistance) is an offense according to section 323c[35] of the Strafgesetzbuch; a citizen is obliged to provide help in case of accident or general danger if necessary, and is normally immune from prosecution if assistance given in good faith and following the average reasonable person's understanding of required measures turns out to be harmful.[36][37] Also the helper may not be held responsible if the action he should take in order to help is unacceptable for him and he is unable to act (for example when unable to act at the sight of blood). In Germany, knowledge of basic emergency measures and First Aid and CPR Certification is a prerequisite for the granting of a driving license.

I was told pretty clearly in the course that it "doesn't matter if you break a few ribs, just make sure you do your CPR".

Edited by wump

I had a nasty fall some time ago. A passing non Thai immediately came to my aid even offering to accompany me to hospital. A Thai guy came out from his shop with a clean cloth to stem the bleeding and then insisted on taking me to hospital on his mocy. There are good people everywhere

I can give an opposing view. I was walking across a dimly lit car park and stepped on a stone the size of a baseball that caused my ankle to roll over and I fell to the ground in agony. At least 5 Thais saw it happen and not one came to my aid. I was 65 at the time.

Edited by giddyup

3 hours ago, mstevens said:

Or they are to busy taking photos/videos with their cell phones.

15 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I can give an opposing view. I was walking across a dimly lit car park and stepped on a stone the size of a baseball that caused my ankle to roll over and I fell to the ground in agony. At least 5 Thais saw it happen and not one came to my aid. I was 65 at the time.

Perhaps they didn't realise you were in trouble - especially as it was dimly lit?

I ask as the few times I've had problems, a Thai or Thais has/have always assisted.

I recall seeing a video last year of some kids playing in the Chao Phraya in Bangkok and one of them got in trouble. As he was thrashing about and his friends were screaming on the shore at least one long tailed boat just cruised right by him. No one helped and he disappeared. Thinking about that still bothers me. 

49 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Perhaps they didn't realise you were in trouble - especially as it was dimly lit?

I ask as the few times I've had problems, a Thai or Thais has/have always assisted.

I could see them all look over when I fell, they definitely saw. Maybe they thought I was pissed, which I wasn't.

One thing that really impresses me with Thai culture is the lack of shoplifting or stealing in general. It's so liberating to be able to leave bicycles, bags etc around without chaining every single item to a steel pole like Australia where thieving seems to be a cultural trait. 

20 hours ago, Emster23 said:

I don't know which "Western Society" you come from, but in my home state of Oregon that would be normal and expected. I've seen it and I've done it. Not quite so many opportunities regarding crashes, as we tend to follow the laws (call it nanny state if you wish)... a bit better than ninny state.

Agreed and the UK people would try to help all they could, I can't imagine where this poster is from!

On 4/8/2017 at 7:00 PM, jerojero said:

Generalized opinionated statements again makes OP sound ridiculous. Western society painted with one brush....sheesh. Small mind seems.

Perhaps the moderators could close this thread, as I seem to have brought out all the haters and Thai-bashers.