Ministry to talk to Uber over taxi problem

webfact

By The Nation

5cda4a970ffa613aea6bf24431690d86.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- In a bid to tackle the problem of taxi drivers' turning down passengers, Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has ordered concerned agencies to talk to ride-sharing service Uber to help find a solution.

Speaking after the weekly Cabinet meeting on Tuesday, Prayut said he had instructed the Transport Minister to look into the possibility of registering Uber vehicles as registered taxis.

He said that if Uber taxis want to run a public transportation service they need to make it clear by having a sign showing they are public transportation.

Concerning complaints and criticism over taxi drivers’ turning down passengers, the premier urged registered taxi drivers not to refuse service to any passenger, but expressed his support for taxi drivers to improve their services.

He asked the media not to stereotype taxi drivers as they do not all misbehave.

Deputy Transport Minister Pichit Akrathit said Prayut ordered the Transport Ministry to talk to Uber about problems related to taxis but he did not give any details or suggest any direction.

However, Pichit said the ministry and Uber is currently conducting a feasibility study to legalise the service in Thailand. The study would be completed in six months, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30311394

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-05

I wonder what many of them actually do for a living.......

Two days a go at about 2:30 P.M I was downtown BKK  in Pathunam Market,

16 taxi refused to take me to my destination, I mean.....16!

The heat was unbearable.

Thai people were turned down as well. I have seen countless taxi

with their meter turned off as if they were carrying passengers but didn't.

It almost looked like a silent protest, something like......if you want Uber

then get it.

So I did.

Those that don't want to do their job should be jobless. 

Edited by doremifasol
correction

31 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

He is absolutely right.  Some are very good.  Some are very bad.

Then the media should also not stereotype drivers as saints for returning cash/bag/gold left in their taxis as they seem to extol weekly.... since not all taxi drivers are that honest either.

" Concerning complaints and criticism over taxi drivers’ turning down passengers, the premier urged registered taxi drivers not to refuse service to any passenger, but expressed his support for taxi drivers to improve their services. "

Umm urging and expressing his support for these taxi idiots isn't going to make them better. They've had years to improve themselves. Let them rot. Competition from Uber will force them to improve or better yet, force them go out of business.

talking to a foreign company to solve a problem in thailand. good on you mr general. i believe uber is a great answer to thailands taxi problems. if an uber taxi driver turns down more than a few rides he looses his right to be an uber taxi driver. in fact if he does anything wrong he get the boot. dont know if i would be so keen to have a sign in my car advertising i was driving for uber though. uber is so successful other taxi drivers might start attacking or even shooting at their cars.

17 minutes ago, idman said:

I belive that there is ongoing research at a think tank somewhere in Patpong or it might be Nana Plaza into the actual IQ of a Thai. So far the results have been cloudy at best as finding a working brain to measure have proven to be futile.

Sent from my SM-T805 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The Thai people I work with and live with are all much higher IQ than 100.  Just depends where you hang out and who you choose to hang out with.  Those foreigners who have no interest in getting to know educated Thais but prefer the environments of streetwalkers and their ilk will probably indeed enjoy the company of sub 100 IQ individuals.  But those types of foreigners enjoy that kind of company because it does not challenge them and they actually enjoy feeling superiority, even though they complain about their stupidity all the time.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Yes, they have a taxi problem. We knew that already. Taxis scamming, refusing rides, etc..

Is Uber going to solve this problem ???

I think the head line would better sound: "Ministery to talk to Uber over Uber problem."

If you have 999 dogs shitting in your garden, what kind of problem do you then have?

A $#!t problem or a dog problem... I would say that you would have a dog problem, but here in Thailand it is called a $#!t problem.

Edited by FredNL

21 hours ago, doremifasol said:

I wonder what many of them actually do for a living.......

Two days a go at about 2:30 P.M I was downtown BKK  in Pathunam Market,

16 taxi refused to take me to my destination, I mean.....16!

The heat was unbearable.

Thai people were turned down as well. I have seen countless taxi

with their meter turned off as if they were carrying passengers but didn't.

It almost looked like a silent protest, something like......if you want Uber

then get it.

So I did.

Those that don't want to do their job should be jobless. 

16 taxi's Mr. Prayuth 16. Ding dong something is wrong!!!

4 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

talking to a foreign company to solve a problem in thailand. good on you mr general. i believe uber is a great answer to thailands taxi problems. if an uber taxi driver turns down more than a few rides he looses his right to be an uber taxi driver. in fact if he does anything wrong he get the boot. dont know if i would be so keen to have a sign in my car advertising i was driving for uber though. uber is so successful other taxi drivers might start attacking or even shooting at their cars.

I'll have to agree with you on so many points you stated, but where I come from we have had the spirited debate, confrontations with the Uber/Lyft/Taxi issues. The period of confrontation was surprisingly a short period of time due to decisive measures from politicians and public outcry. In the end, the Taxi 'monopoly' adjusted their business model and became Taxi, Uber, Lyft service persons.

Most everyone wins with open competition and free markets. (Customers and driver/contractors) Those that are protectionists and unable to adapt to change will have to suffer the wrath of economic realities.

The app Grab Taxi is a very a very good alternative, you know the price before you accept the ride and everything is recorded, in case any problems arises. The ones I have had the pleasure of using have all been clean modern cars driven by friendly drivers and always at a lower price than a taxi hailed in the street, who knows  maybe I have been lucky....