Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Sooo Upto Me said:

This is why Thailand is & always will be the laughing stock of the world. Can never decide on anything.

The Land of U Turns.  ???

Bold statement, can you link to any articles or news that states Thailand is the "laughing stock" of the world please.

Sad, really.... shows low value of life, once again over Songkran , will be usual road carnage with predominance of motor bike incidents.

The other incidents are mostly utes, as occurred earlier this year when, think , some 10 people died in a collision involving at least one utility or more!

Guess, the car manufacturers would have been scurrying around when heard news of ban; imagine impact on business of the "Thai limo"!!

43 minutes ago, CGW said:

Bold statement, can you link to any articles or news that states Thailand is the "laughing stock" of the world please.

Obviously u don't live here long term, I've been here almost 10yrs & the amount of time this so called government releases a new law or makes an announcement then low behold the next day they backtrack.

This is why no one can take this country seriously.

That answer ur question?

13 hours ago, PeVee1st said:

A more sensible law would be that all persons in the pickup tray be seated and max.10 of all ages. Infants under 5 to be carried inside the pickup. Max.speed 80 kph.
No standing whilst the pickup is moving.

And  MORE TO  THE  POINT  not sitting on the side rail which is plain ferking idiotic

22 minutes ago, Sooo Upto Me said:

Obviously u don't live here long term, I've been here almost 10yrs & the amount of time this so called government releases a new law or makes an announcement then low behold the next day they backtrack.

This is why no one can take this country seriously.

That answer ur question?

No, you have stated your point of view, for some obscure reason, if you read in the press about Thailand they are not the "laughing stock" of the world despite how hard they try!

For what it is worth I have been here a lot longer than yourself and have watched over the years as they stumble from xxxxxxxx to xxxxxx but amazingly they are never publicly decried outside the country. I asked if you could link to articles that stated they were the "laughing stock" out of interest.

11 minutes ago, CGW said:

No, you have stated your point of view, for some obscure reason, if you read in the press about Thailand they are not the "laughing stock" of the world despite how hard they try!

For what it is worth I have been here a lot longer than yourself and have watched over the years as they stumble from xxxxxxxx to xxxxxx but amazingly they are never publicly decried outside the country. I asked if you could link to articles that stated they were the "laughing stock" out of interest.

That's because the world doesn't give a rat's fart about an insignificant, corrupt, backwater that has no influence in finance (except to begin the Asian crash of '97), sport, the arts, science, inventions or anything else.

On 4/5/2017 at 5:24 AM, Wilsonandson said:

And ever so slowly the grip on power is weakening. There are certain things you don't mess with and the car is there near the top of the list. Bad mistake today was.

As a foreign observer on an expat forum. No bias meant. Just saying.

Actually, I think the problem is much deeper.  It shows that little or no thought goes into the making of these 'rules'.  Everything seems to be done by pulling ideas out of his nether regions without thinking anything through.  Only a total and complete idiot would not have forseen the backlash trying to enforce this law, without any real advanced warning, would bring.

The simple fact is, that the REAL problem is the idiot drivers.  I do not condone carrying passengers in the back of pickup trucks, especially at highway speeds, but it is the very poor driving skills of most Thais that is the cause of the vast majority of the accidents.

I understand the wish to stop cagro bed riders as it is many times more dangerous than riding in the cab, but this edict is ridiculous departure from established practice.

Perhaps a sensible first step would be ban cargo riders on main highways enabling local transportation.

Likewise, make extended cab truck manufacturers put rear seatbelts on all new models and enforce fines for not using them while not enforcing the rule on trucks that didn't come equipped with them.

This was how it was implemented in North America years ago where older cars didn't have rear seatbelts.

But the glaring inconsistencies are nearly absurd.

Songthaews are OK, so if you put benches in the back of a truck you can carry people there but not in the cab without seatbelts?

Are public buses going to make all passengers buckle up? And I guess that forbids people standing.

Trains? No bathroom breaks.

As others have pointed out, I have seen entire families riding on a motorbike with no helmets and this is where they choose to start safety measures.

Maybe its a response to the horrendous truck/mini-van crash that left 25 dead. But a significant number of them burned to seat while trapped in the van. Pulling them out if they were strapped in wouldn't have been any easier.

How about some sensible things like:

Daylight running lights.

Actual patrol cars to ticket speeders, weavers and tailgaters.

Separate u-turns for each direction.

Heavy vehicle safety checks and log books for professional drivers (there was an edict about using GPS on mini-van drivers, but I never heard of it since)

Professional driver training and significant penalties for professional drivers if they break road laws. 

Just like the seat belt change these could be gradually introduced and enforced. 

15 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

until after Songkran, a senior police officer said on Wednesday.

You could see this coming a mile away and until after Songkran funny. We live in a world of exceptions here. I am sure the big truck manufacturers were explaining business life to the PM and as they say in the movie "The Gambler" You have know when to hold em know when to fold em and he did. Of course the statement till after Songkran is just a ploy to buy time as this issue fades off into the sunset. It was a non starter from the beginning dreamed up by some general who just had a smile put on his face. Yes Virginia there is a Deep State here a well. 

44 minutes ago, Kiwisailor said:

Don't forget that there will be a massive amount of mini-vans coming on to the market soon to replace the pickups - well, as soon as the new mini-buses arrive !

Yes a lot of mini-vans will be coming onto the market and I guess a lot of expats here will have to trade in the trucks with the "back" seat to carry their extended families. 

55 minutes ago, Psychic said:

How about some sensible things like:

Daylight running lights.

Actual patrol cars to ticket speeders, weavers and tailgaters.

Separate u-turns for each direction.

Heavy vehicle safety checks and log books for professional drivers (there was an edict about using GPS on mini-van drivers, but I never heard of it since)

Professional driver training and significant penalties for professional drivers if they break road laws. 

I must agree all sensible things (Tylenol break here) but things that cost money. They just love the incoming tourist dollars but spending apart from military toys well thats another story. 

This is the biggest 5555 of the century.How can the PM postpone the so called new rule and regulation? It has been a LAW since 1979.If they would have had any sense they would have been enforcing this Law now for 38 years and there would have been no problems now, same as with all the other rules and regulations and laws. But hey ,this is Thailand,There are two ways to do things, The right way & the Thai way  (: