Vientiane - new tourist visa ? latest info ?

I am an Australian, and have been using Penang for tourist visas on and off for the past 2 years. Last time (December) I was given a red stamp, proof of residence in Thailand. I am thinking Vientaine. From what I read V sounds like a better alternative. What would I need for a Vientiane Thai tourist visa: hotel booking, proof of income, money in the bank, flight ticket out?

Is it better to use an agent?

Any info appreciated.

ps yes I know, I will be returning to Oz soon, new passport etc. Start again.

3 minutes ago, Ianatlarge said:

What would I need for a Vientiane Thai tourist visa: hotel booking, proof of income, money in the bank, flight ticket out?

At the moment Vientiane do not require any of those.

You do not need to show anything there ,I was there yesterday there was a lot of people there but the process went smooth just takes time maybe 30-45 minutes to submit your application, I arrived at 08 45,and when you go back the next day depending what number you are this depends when you get your passport back as its done by number

I was number 86 and it took me 30 minutes to get it back.

If you need more info let me know and I can tell you if you don't already know.

Its up to you to use a agent but there are signs on the gate NO VISA AGENTS ,NO FAST TRACK SERVICE,and its easy to DIY only new requirement now is you have to photo copy the page with your Lao visa and you can get this done when you enter the Thai embassy on the left hand side ,do not use the touts ,and you can also get the application form there as again the touts charge you for filling it in for you.

Edited by paul18620
  • Like 1

As above, you strictly can't use an agent in Vientiane. That said the process is dead simple, rock up early morning day 1, return 1:30pm the following day. Unfortunately unlike Penang Vientiane is beyond boring and also rather expensive vs Thailand...obviously nothing is expensive vs Australia just about anywhere in the world though :)

hmmm....Vientiane is indeed boring beyond belief..... however there is one major plus.... Beer Lao....a very nice beer of high quality which seems to contradict most of Laos( it is a very poor, deliberately run down country it appears)....however thats a different story

This will be my 2nd Vientiane tourist visa application in a row with about 7 days in Laos before the application...is it likely I'd get bounced with a current total of 2 single tourist entry visas  (savana 1st , Vientiane previously (free period one ) in my passport ? Do they prefer you to 'break the chain' of 2 in-a-row at same consulate by going to more stringent Savannakhet instead ?

• Like 1

hmmm....Vientiane is indeed boring beyond belief..... however there is one major plus.... Beer Lao....a very nice beer of high quality which seems to contradict most of Laos( it is a very poor, deliberately run down country it appears)....however thats a different story

FYI, Laos is a third world country, don't expect Vientiane to be like Bangkok.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

Applied in Vientiane on Monday.Nothing required.Arrived at embassy at the worst possible time, 9 am:the line went all the way to the gate,and started shrinking right after my arrival.By the time I got to the desk ,about 10.30 , the queue was only a fraction of the length.So late arrival will shorten your wait.Pick up on Tuesdays was fast.

• 4 months later...

Just an update, applied for visa on 28th August. Very busy approximately 400 people that morning, mainly Pattaya visa groups.  No new requiremnets, no need to show ticket out of Thailand (unlike Penang), no proof of funds.Plenty of colourfull characters applying without issue for visa, tattoos on face, people drunk at the consulate, no problem.

2 hours queing on Monday and maybe 1:30 Tuesday, I should have went later they were calling numbers in order. 

For the independent traveler Vientiane is a pleasent place to spend a few days. lots of nice bars and restaurants.

The only negatives are:

1 Full page entry stamp for Laos in your passport.

2 Taxis are relatively expensive 

Cheers

• 11 months later...

Vientiane boring beyond belief... & the OP should do this and that ...

It IS expensive and has lost a great deal of its charm. Anyone recall the lines of baguette stoves and coffee brewing on the street every morning, fresh good butter for the hot bread?  French-influenced architecture, not soulless tile plazas and zooming traffic past the pathetic walks?  The French restaurants?  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2017 at 1:39 PM, elviajero said:
On 4/6/2017 at 1:35 PM, Ianatlarge said:

What would I need for a Vientiane Thai tourist visa: hotel booking, proof of income, money in the bank, flight ticket out?

At the moment Vientiane do not require any of those.

Hi!

Is the above still true regarding getting an SETV at Vientiane? i.e., Do they require hotel booking, proof of income, flight ticket out, etc?

I am planning a trip there to get a tourist visa next week & wanted to verify here first.

Thanks!

On 4/6/2017 at 4:31 PM, lordblackader said:

As above, you strictly can't use an agent in Vientiane. That said the process is dead simple, rock up early morning day 1, return 1:30pm the following day. Unfortunately unlike Penang Vientiane is beyond boring and also rather expensive vs Thailand...obviously nothing is expensive vs Australia just about anywhere in the world though :)

There are a couple of days Vientiane can be a nightmare with visa run companies hitting it on those days. One time I rocked in and it was so fast another day it was a nightmare of queues..it might be Monday and another day its queued out beyond belief.

Edited by freedomnow

On 4/6/2017 at 8:35 PM, Ianatlarge said:

I am an Australian, and have been using Penang for tourist visas on and off for the past 2 years. Last time (December) I was given a red stamp, proof of residence in Thailand. I am thinking Vientaine

Vientiane will not issue you a Tourist Visa if you have a red-stamp on *Any* other Tourist Visa in your passport - even if you had other Tourist Visas since the red-stamped one.  I found this out the hard way.

That "show residence..." etc on the stamp means nothing - I had a condo-lease, proof of money, etc.  Vientiane told me to go to my embassy and get a new passport before they could issue another Tourist Visa to me.

Savannakhet did issue me one after having a red-stamp from another consulate, so that would be a better alternative.  If you don't have 2 visa-exempt land-border entries, you can use this instead.

Edited by JackThompson

On 9/8/2018 at 11:52 AM, JackThompson said:

Savannakhet did issue me one after having a red-stamp from another consulate, so that would be a better alternative.  If you don't have 2 visa-exempt land-border entries, you can use this instead.

Thanks for the update. I do not have a red-stamp in my current passport, but I do have 2 visa exempt land border entries from earlier in 2018 (February & April).

Will that be a problem in Vientiane?

Thanks in advance!

12 minutes ago, Scott3000 said:

Thanks for the update. I do not have a red-stamp in my current passport, but I do have 2 visa exempt land border entries from earlier in 2018 (February & April).

Will that be a problem in Vientiane?

Thanks in advance!

Your visa exempt history shouldn’t have any relevance to your visa application.

• Like 1

Vientiane is OK, as someone already pointed out Beerlao is cheap and excellent, one of my most favorite drinking spots in all of SEA is up at Bor Phen Yang, knocking down several cold mugs of Beerlao while looking out over the Mehkong to Thailand. Never once been there for a visa but been numerous times just for a few days holiday.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TSF said:

Vientiane is OK, as someone already pointed out Beerlao is cheap and excellent, one of my most favorite drinking spots in all of SEA is up at Bor Phen Yang, knocking down several cold mugs of Beerlao while looking out over the Mehkong to Thailand. Never once been there for a visa but been numerous times just for a few days holiday.

Haven't been to Vientiane since 2015. I didn't like it my first time there in 2009, but then it started to grow on me over the years. By now, I look forward to the trip!

As for Bor Phen Yang, not sure if I've been there. I recall a place in a similar location, riverfront at the north end of the park, with two Lao men singing Lao, Thai, and country music covers.

I think I've got about 1000 photos from VTE that I haven't even looked at yet!

• Like 1