Locals get in the holiday mood

geovalin

With the New Year holiday starting next week, people are busy planning what to do with the well-earned break from work. Some are considering Siem Reap, while others plan trips to coastal areas, resorts in the northeastern province of Ratanakkiri, or tour packages abroad. Socheat from the Huawei phone shop in Phnom Penh will take his seven-member family to Siem Reap this year. He and his family expect to spend about $300 each on their trip to the biggest attraction in the country’s tourism sector.

“There are a lot of interesting places in Siem Reap province to visit during Khmer New Year. I plan to visit some of those place during my stay, so I think I will spend about $300 because I will buy souvenirs for many friends,” said Mr. Socheat, who often travels abroad during long holidays. The trend of taking holidays has increased in Cambodia in recent years, with people opting to travel within the country and further afield, thanks to better incomes and transportation systems.

According to industry experts, Cambodians are starting to appreciate cultural and nature-related tourist attractions within the country, generating more income for local business operators. Chea Naryroth, an accountant at a private company in Phnom Penh, will spend two days visiting Preah Sihanoukville province on the coast and will spend about $200 to $250.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/37318/locals-get-in-the-holiday-mood/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 07/04