Governor of Syria's Homs says U.S. strikes serve 'goals of terrorism'

webfact

Governor of Syria's Homs says U.S. strikes serve 'goals of terrorism'

REUTERS

r12.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Homs governor Talal al-Barazi speaks to reporters during the release of prisoners at the Homs Governorate Council building, Syria December 7, 2015. REUTERS/Omar Sanadiki/Files

BEIRUT (Reuters) - U.S. missile strikes on Syrian military positions serve the goals of "armed terrorist groups" and Islamic State, the governor of Syria's Homs province said on Friday.

"Syrian leadership and Syrian policy will not change," Homs Governor Talal Barazi said in a phone interview with state television. "This targeting was not the first and I don't believe it will be the last," he added.

U.S. President Donald Trump said he ordered missile strikes against a Syrian airfield from which a deadly chemical weapons attack was launched this week, declaring he acted in America's "national security interest" against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

U.S. officials said the military fired dozens of cruise missiles against the airbase in response to the suspected gas attack in a rebel-held area that Washington has blamed on Assad's forces.

The Syrian government has strongly denied responsibility.

"The armed terrorist groups and Daesh failed to target the Syrian Arab Army and Russian military positions," Barazi said, using the Arabic acronym for Islamic State. The Syrian government describes all armed groups opposed to it as terrorists.

The U.S. strikes "targeted military positions in Syria and in Homs specifically" in order to publically "serve the goals of terrorism in Syria and the goals of Israel in the long run," Barazi added.

A Syrian military source said earlier the attack on the Syrian air base had led to "losses."

(Reporting by Mohamed el-Sherif/Tom Perry; Writing by Ellen Francis; Editing by Randy Fabi and Lisa Shumaker)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-04-07

A narcissist and a sociopath meet surreptitiously:

Sociopath: I'll help get you elected & cover your financial ties
Narcissist: Sounds terrific, I'm IN!

Sociopath: Too much press now about our 'relationship' but I have a plan

Sociopath: We'll setup the 'wet-work' then you strike back and get to look like a strong leader with a heart

Sociopath: Done and now no one is talking about us being BFF's anymore and we can get back to the real game plan

Sociopath thinking to self: (child's play, what a idiot, ah well, it's all working out, onto the Balkans etc)
Narcissist thinking to self: (I'm going to be remembered as the BIGLIEST, it's all working out, now onto N Korea etc)

Bigliest WHAT is the question....

On topic, yes, please investigate (Trump & Putin)  before it's too late.

Edited by sujoop

5 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

No need for an official investigation and a UN security counsel to make a discussion because the USA acted in America's "national security interest" against Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

So what is that "national security interest"? 

The strategic goal is to force Assad out so Saudi Arabia and Qatar can install a Wahhabist dictator. Why this is supposed to be in America's interest I do not know, but Israel likes it so the American Congress is all for it.

8 minutes ago, Acharn said:

The strategic goal is to force Assad out so Saudi Arabia and Qatar can install a Wahhabist dictator. Why this is supposed to be in America's interest I do not know, but Israel likes it so the American Congress is all for it.

I also find it interesting that the US reacted so fast and launch over 50 missiles. I think it coincides with Chinas Presidents visit as US want to show its force to the Chinese President as well. Trump has always said to not put the US's nose in Syrias problems.

Frankly the white house press has been talking about how concern Trump is regarding to the news in syria, but the words coming out from the white house should not have been focus on Trumps concern. The words they use should have been US / the world is concern - not Trump. Trumps team is taking advantage of this incident to boost Trumps rating and public appearance. 

30 minutes ago, Acharn said:

It is about control of a pipeline

And what should the other sides of the conflict do in the situation when somebody kills their enemy? Of course they will take their chances of getting new territories. IMHO, Most probably the entire territory around this airbase will be under control of ISIS soon.

15 hours ago, wisher said:

And what should the other sides of the conflict do in the situation when somebody kills their enemy? Of course they will take their chances of getting new territories. IMHO, Most probably the entire territory around this airbase will be under control of ISIS soon.

Don't know what you base that opinion on. The 59 missiles knocked out 6 airplanes. Assad and Mr (raz)Putin are still in control of Syria. Isis will soon lose Mosel and Raqqa is surrounded. The remnants of Isis having now been invited to Europe will slowly die after blowing themselves and a few hapless Europeans up with them. Isis is a hasbeen