Dual Passport Enquiry.

My child was born in Thailand and has both Thai (just expired) passport and UK passport. On a recent trip to the UK we had difficulty with immigration for my.child leaving Thailand on his UK passport. They told us when we return to Thailand my.child will only get 30 days on.arrival but ive also been told that children under 14 dont need.a.visa?. My childs Thai passport has expired, so if does only get 30 days will we need to make a new Thai passport  and leave after 30 days and return on new Thai passport?

Thanks

PST

Edited by PST
spelling

Hi Ubon Joe

My child left Thailand on uk passport as thai pport had expired and we forgot to renew it,.and entered uk on uk passport.

So on return to thsiland, they can still stamp my.child in on thai passport even tho its expired?

For the future it will be best to enter and exit Thailand on a Thai passport and enter/exit the UK (and most other countries) on his UK passport. But you may already known this from the ton of passport relates topics in this forum section. In which case you can ignore my post. If you are not aware, scroll a bit down and you can find various topics regarding traveling and which passports to use.

Edit:

"So on return to thsiland, they can still stamp my.child in on thai passport even tho its expired?" Yes, A Thai can always enter his/her country. 

Edited by Donutz

And then if my child entered thailand on  expired thai passport then we woukd simply get a new one on return....immigration seemed to tell us that we should get him a.new thai passport when in uk otherwise he woukd need to enter thailanf on uk pasdport..then make new thai passport once in thailand then leave after 30 days on uk one.and.re enter on new thai one?

Edited by PST
spelling

8 minutes ago, PST said:

And then if my child entered thailand on  expired thai passport then we woukd simply get a new one on return....immigration seemed to tell us that we should get him a.new thai passport when in uk otherwise he woukd need to enter thailanf on uk pasdport..then make new thai passport once in thailand then leave after 30 days on uk one.and.re enter on new thai one?

They can enter on the expired passport. Then get a new one while here.

Not sure what the officer was trying to say. It would of course been better to of gotten a new passport while in the UK>

We are still in uk but back to thailand soon and it takes 4-6 weeks to process here

So there will be.no issue on entering on his expired passport?...the immigration officers saw it had expired but didnt mention he could return on it....

4 hours ago, PST said:

So there will be.no issue on entering on his expired passport?...the immigration officers saw it had expired but didnt mention he could return on it....

My daughter, who lives in the UK, entered Thailand 10 days ago using her Thai passport which expired over a year ago.

The only comment she received from immigration was that as she entered with a Thai passport she must leave with a Thai passport and so must renew it in Thailand before she leaves; which she has done.