Home Computer for Writing - Suggestions Please

Stubby

Hi Folks,

I've not had a new computer for about six years now. This means I'm right out of touch with how the technology has advanced during this time. I've always had notebooks up until now. But as I almost never take the computer outside, perhaps I'd be better off with a home computer this time.

WHAT I THINK I NEED

I don't play games or do any of the heavy resource stuff. What I want is a nice, bigger, independent screen so that I can write from a comfortable distance. Maybe a wireless keyboard would be nice too, as a way to keep the desk area uncluttered. And also, is it possible to get a keyboard that resembles the feel of a notebook keyboard? I don't like the chunkiness of higher keys on regular keyboards as I find them more awkward to use.

WRITING, INTERNET & EMAIL

I'm starting to write my memoirs and it may take a year or more. This is why I'm thinking about setting up a comfortable computer system. I do want something nice and modern, but I don't need a beast of a computer. I only need something for average internet use, email, and word processing, etc. I would like a nice crisp display though.

I have had a look around, but to be honest I'm not sure what I'm looking for. The shop assistants always steer me towards the costlier options, for obvious reasons. I can see systems from about 9,000 B to well over 20,000 B. I'm thinking that perhaps I should steer clear of anything too cheap or certain brands perhaps? 

I appreciated any advice on the kind of thing I should be looking out.

Thank you in advance,

Stubby 

From what you've described an 'all in one' system might well suit you. These have the main processing unit within a full sized display unit.. These start at around 12k. The only brand I know for sure that does them is Lenovo but I'm sure there will be others For some word processing and Internet use you certainly don't need a higher spec unit.

The only issue could be the keyboard that comes with it but you could buy another keyboard separately that you find more comfortable to use.

I would suggest getting a NUC - they really are tiny and can provide all the processing power you need.  For example:

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/barebone-pcs/intel/nuc-celeron-n3050-intel-hd-hdmi-vga-boxnuc5cpyh-p024077/

You will, however, need to buy the RAM and solid state disk drive (SSD) separately.  SSDs are sooooo much faster than the old fashioned ones, and your operating system and applications will load very, very much faster.  They're also silent, unlike traditional drives.

(Incidentally, if noise is an issue, there are fanless NUCs which are totally silent.  No sure if they're available in Thailand, though.)

Keyboards and mice are very much a personal preference.  Go to your local IT store and try a few out.  See which ones you like best.

As for the screen, first decide what size you want, then simply choose a reputable brand.  Really, they're very much a commodity these days.  Personally I always buy HP Pavilion screens.

1 hour ago, JaiMaai said:

From what you've described an 'all in one' system might well suit you. These have the main processing unit within a full sized display unit.. These start at around 12k. The only brand I know for sure that does them is Lenovo but I'm sure there will be others For some word processing and Internet use you certainly don't need a higher spec unit.

The only issue could be the keyboard that comes with it but you could buy another keyboard separately that you find more comfortable to use.

Thank you JaiMaai. Yes, I did see a lot of Lenovo computers. There were also a couple of HP - I think - but they were double the price. The sales guy said the screen sharpness and contrast is far superior with the HP. I'm sure he's right as there must be a reason for the extra cost. Unfortunately no one could prove this as the one's I saw were only display models (no power attached). I'll keep looking.

Stubby

Just a suggestion, why not get a laptop and connect it to your tv when you want the larger screen, have the best of both worlds then. You could even get a wireless keyboard and mouse and use the laptop like a desktop but utilizing the tv screen as the monitor. Turns your tv into a "smart tv", you can stream entertainment to your tv too.

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

I would suggest getting a NUC - they really are tiny and can provide all the processing power you need.  For example:

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/barebone-pcs/intel/nuc-celeron-n3050-intel-hd-hdmi-vga-boxnuc5cpyh-p024077/

You will, however, need to buy the RAM and solid state disk drive (SSD) separately.  SSDs are sooooo much faster than the old fashioned ones, and your operating system and applications will load very, very much faster.  They're also silent, unlike traditional drives.

(Incidentally, if noise is an issue, there are fanless NUCs which are totally silent.  No sure if they're available in Thailand, though.)

Keyboards and mice are very much a personal preference.  Go to your local IT store and try a few out.  See which ones you like best.

As for the screen, first decide what size you want, then simply choose a reputable brand.  Really, they're very much a commodity these days.  Personally I always buy HP Pavilion screens.

Thanks Oxx, that's really interesting. Things have changed a lot. I think I'd get confused trying to put something together with different parts though. Or maybe not, perhaps I just need to educate myself on the latest technologies. I did mention HP screens and you seem to confirm that they're a good bet. I just did a search and they do look nice. 

I'm wondering if I might even be able to remove the screen from my notebook and connect a nice screen HP screen to that. This would solve the keyboard problem right there If I could. I'll ask about this when I go into town next time.

Stubby

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Just a suggestion, why not get a laptop and connect it to your tv when you want the larger screen, have the best of both worlds then. You could even get a wireless keyboard and mouse and use the laptop like a desktop but utilizing the tv screen as the monitor. Turns your tv into a "smart tv", you can stream entertainment to your tv too.

Hi CharlieH LOL :)

I'd just wrote about screen options in my previous reply. I do have a pretty large flat screen TV but I like to sit at a desk when I'm at the computer. It would mean rearranging the furniture too. Using the TV is a good idea, but not the solution for me. Thanks for the suggestion though, I appreciate it ;)

Stubby

3 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Thanks Oxx, that's really interesting. Things have changed a lot. I think I'd get confused trying to put something together with different parts though. Or maybe not, perhaps I just need to educate myself on the latest technologies. I did mention HP screens and you seem to confirm that they're a good bet. I just did a search and they do look nice. 

I'm wondering if I might even be able to remove the screen from my notebook and connect a nice screen HP screen to that. This would solve the keyboard problem right there If I could. I'll ask about this when I go into town next time.

If you can do Lego you can put the stuff together easily, or you could get a local PC technician to assemble it for you.  It's not difficult.  Slightly tougher is working out which bits are compatible.  However, you could draw up a list and get someone to check it for you.  I'd recommend asking InvadeIT (part owned and run by a westerner) to check your list and then buy from them.  That way if there's any incompatibility (which is unlikely), they are responsible.

Check your notebook technical spec..  It almost certainly does have a port for an external monitor.  Don't think you'll be able to remove the screen from the notebook, though, so it might be a bit of a cumbersome setup.

5 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Using the TV is a good idea, but not the solution for me.

Actually, it's not.  The resolution is usually lower than a decent monitor and the refresh rate is usually slower.  It's a recipe for eye strain.

1 minute ago, Oxx said:

If you can do Lego you can put the stuff together easily, or you could get a local PC technician to assemble it for you.  It's not difficult.  Slightly tougher is working out which bits are compatible.  However, you could draw up a list and get someone to check it for you.  I'd recommend asking InvadeIT (part owned and run by a westerner) to check your list and then buy from them.  That way if there's any incompatibility (which is unlikely), they are responsible.

Check your notebook technical spec..  It almost certainly does have a port for an external monitor.  Don't think you'll be able to remove the screen from the notebook, though, so it might be a bit of a cumbersome setup.

Thanks Oxx. Yes, I've already started to look at stuff. Trouble is, I'm not sure what I need. It's a bit like buying an all-singing, all-dancing Smartphone and only using 10% of its features/capabilities. I don't want to skimp, but at the same time I don't want to buy something I don't need ;)

Stubby