April 9, 20179 yr I'm due to pick up my Aust passport tomorrow, it will replace the old one that expires in November. As I understand it, I have to hand in my old passport, then go to Cheang Wattana and where they stamp the new one. My problem is I would like to get a visa for Myanmar, whose embassy is close to the Aust one. It would be difficult for me to go to CW, then be back at the Myanmar embassy to apply and with Songkran coming up I'm concerned I won't get it on time. Would it be possible to apply and then get my Thai stamp in a couple of days when I have my Myanmar visa? Thanks.
April 9, 20179 yr You don't have to go to immigration to have your stamps transferred unless you have a long stay extension. You can use both passports on departure from the country to have your entry stamp transferred to the new one. There is no reason you could not get the Myanmar visa before getting your stamps transferred.
April 9, 20179 yr Author Thanks, only thing is that I'm pretty sure I will not be allowed to keep both passports, I'm quite sure this is what I was told at the embassy.
April 9, 20179 yr 2 minutes ago, Smithson said: Thanks, only thing is that I'm pretty sure I will not be allowed to keep both passports, I'm quite sure this is what I was told at the embassy. I not aware of any embassy here that keeps your old passport. For sure the Australian embassy does not.
April 9, 20179 yr Author ^ If you're suggesting my memory is failing, you're probably right. I must of misheard though, because I remember thinking it was strange.
April 9, 20179 yr 1 hour ago, Smithson said: ^ If you're suggesting my memory is failing, you're probably right. I must of misheard though, because I remember thinking it was strange. Usually, they will cancel the old passport (cutting the corners off) when you receive the new one. They want the old passport to no longer be valid for travel, so it cannot be sold as such on the black market. However, while no longer valid for travel, all stamps (including visas) within the old passport remain valid.
Create an account or sign in to comment