A General Note about Thai People

autanic

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If thais didnt use solicitors then they wouldnt be in business. Property deals are regular business.

My GF writes and speaks English but if you don't know any bi lingual thais then request some one from juristic to accompany you as they are down at the land office frequently, just pass a crisp 1k note.

For those that are overseas juristic has a power of attorney form or you can just use the power of attorney yourself

. Why on earth would a thai that can read and write want an lawyer?

But hey you want rip up 20k go ahead knock yourself out!

Here is a good summary

" if Land Registry register the condo in your name then it is yours, no money is outstanding and the decision can't be challenged.

So if this is true then you can do it yourself - but you must speak excellent Thai.

My main things to look at are:

Don't pay any money before the papers are ready to be finalised at Land Registry, just show a bank cheque beforehand and hand it over on signing.

Make sure the condo you buy is the one you look at. All number on the papers are old Thai numbers.

Ask the condo management about outstanding fees, don't just rely on the condo form.

As said before ensure you have a Thai who speaks good English and Thai to help you and whom you trust. Tend to agree that rules out using a lawyer!

1 Never see Thais do it except in a movie theater.

2 Often see Thais do it.

3 I see Thais with a raised voice often, usually accompanied by gang assault.

4 You have obviously never been to Phuket.

5 Lawyers here are shady (like everywhere).

6 I am often asked by Thais what it's like from where I come from and to contrast.

7 I don't judge Thais.  I judge everyone the same.  An A-hole is and A-hole no matter what language they speak.

8 ONLY rent a home.

9 Stay safe seems like common sense but seems not to be for some.

10 True statement but hardly conveys a message or world harmony.  Unchecked nationalism has been the result of countless deaths.  

Enjoy bestowing your gems of wisdom in your greener pastures.  Watch out for the cow pies.

When i saw the title of this topic, i was expecting some one of great experience to have written it. I also expected to learn a thing or two from someone who knew more than me

I am sorry to say, i am sorely disappointed 

The poster has wasted his own time and mine. Did he get this from a page out of the Hayes and Jarvis catalogue? Because it is like the advice they give you

"When visiting Thailand for the first time, please remember these few simple rules. Never....Yada Yada Yada "

29 minutes ago, Ijustcashier said:

My GF writes and speaks English but if you don't know any bi lingual thais then request some one from juristic to accompany you as they are down at the land office frequently, just pass a crisp 1k note.

For those that are overseas juristic has a power of attorney form or you can just use the power of attorney yourself

. Why on earth would a thai that can read and write want an lawyer?

But hey you want rip up 20k go ahead knock yourself out!

Here is a good summary

" if Land Registry register the condo in your name then it is yours, no money is outstanding and the decision can't be challenged.

So if this is true then you can do it yourself - but you must speak excellent Thai.

My main things to look at are:

Don't pay any money before the papers are ready to be finalised at Land Registry, just show a bank cheque beforehand and hand it over on signing.

Make sure the condo you buy is the one you look at. All number on the papers are old Thai numbers.

Ask the condo management about outstanding fees, don't just rely on the condo form.

As said before ensure you have a Thai who speaks good English and Thai to help you and whom you trust. Tend to agree that rules out using a lawyer!

Putting a lot of trust in 1 or 2 Thais who could be playing you.

20000 baht is small compared to being conned out of 3m.

Putting a lot of trust in 1 or 2 Thais who could be playing you.

20000 baht is small compared to being conned out of 3m.

Played like you mean they put everything in their own name whilst you are their cross checking your name against every document?

That's a vivid imagination however

Ever heard of a crooked lawyer?

we are dragging this off topic into yet another real estate thread

Over and out

Just now, Ijustcashier said:

Played look you mean they put everything in their own name whilst you are their cross checking your name against every document?

That's a vivid imagination however
Ever heard of a crooked lawyer?

we are dragging this off topic into yet another real estate thread

Over and out

Most solicitors are legit and legal firms can be checked out.

Telling people to do their own paperwork on a major deal is not the wisest advice but you can do what suits you.

4 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Still better than Donald Trump and probably better than the promises made by farang to the boys & girls they've traveled here to meet before moving on the greener pastures.

Most of your advice sounds like a mother telling her somewhat clueless children to behave themselves without much hope that they know how.

Possobly an ex school teacher?????????

<4. Make use of TukTuks there inexpensive and can manage traffic better than taxis>

I disagree here on a high level: Some of them might be inexpensive but the absolute majority cheats you into things you don't want (sight- seeing, jewel shops, other stops on the way) and thus waste your time. They can manage traffic SLIGHTLY better than taxis but they are tenfold more dangerous in case of crash or hard braking.

a bus or a truck waiting next to you in the left lane, green light  -   woosh you need a shower, fresh shirt thanks to the Diesel exhaust soot right into your face...

Moreover, they mostly run in BKK, so for other places no option anyway (take pickup busses in those areas). 

Most solicitors are legit and legal firms can be checked out.  

Telling people to do their own paperwork on a major deal is not the wisest advice but you can do what suits you.

Do a Google search on fraudulent lawyers but only if you have a few years reading time to spare. [emoji30]

If anyone had the ability to hand over to you a dud yellow book whilst the real one in his name is in his safe it'd be a lawyer! And not the juristic gal that is with you at the land office

You won't even know untill 20 years later when you try to sell it!

I want to be there when the yellow book is issued!!! At the source

But hey thai lawyers are straight shooters LMAO!

I want some clarity on this as an avid leg crosser and my foot is say 4 inches from floor at a 50 degree angle is my sole. Say when I'm in the barbers. Is that falling foul or is that ok?

You may wish to consult a lawyer about your theoretical foot situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Ijustcashier said:

Do a Google search on fraudulent lawyers but only if you have a few years reading time to spare. emoji30.png

If anyone had the ability to hand over to you a dud yellow book whilst the real one in his name is in his safe it'd be a lawyer! And not the juristic gal that is with you at the land office

You won't even know untill 20 years later when you try to sell it!

I want to be there when the yellow book is issued!!! At the source

But hey thai lawyers are straight shooters LMAO!

I wouldnt be suprised if you have been played.

On balance, I would put about 70% of the OP's advice as reasonable, and 30% complete garbage.As Meatloaf used to sing, two out of three ain't bad.

So many experts on Thai Visa. Why doesn't all that expert advice take hold?

My apologies to Ubon Joe and Crossy - you are exempt.

bizarrely you dont mention making firm friendships with local people. that would be my number one, and not just any locals; educated, professional people, you will then get a view of the real thailand not the mirage most westerners here have as their only thai 'friend' is a low class, low educated local whom they are probably in a relationship with and likely paying to be in that relationship. such westerners have no idea about the real thailand.

5 minutes ago, samsensam said:

bizarrely you dont mention making firm friendships with local people. that would be my number one, and not just any locals; educated, professional people, you will then get a view of the real thailand not the mirage most westerners here have as their only thai 'friend' is a low class, low educated local whom they are probably in a relationship with and likely paying to be in that relationship. such westerners have no idea about the real thailand.

You are far more likely to get an appreciation of the "real" Thailand if you associate with the people you have disparaged as low class, low educated.You've obviously never heard of street smarts.

Think about it. The educated, professional people you want to be friends with are a tiny minority clustered in the major cities. They have as much idea as you do about the  "real" Thailand.

3 hours ago, bushwacker said:

Well, that was a wasted read.  My 9 years here suggests that 7 of your 10 points are wrong.  And arguably 2 others.  Maybe good that you are finding greener pastures.  Good luck.

Well posted.

By the way, is that a red Poodle on your pic?

36 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

You are far more likely to get an appreciation of the "real" Thailand if you associate with the people you have disparaged as low class, low educated.You've obviously never heard of street smarts.

Think about it. The educated, professional people you want to be friends with are a tiny minority clustered in the major cities. They have as much idea as you do about the  "real" Thailand.

Thats true. So many professional people live in a bubble.

But to live in any country it is the people that make it good or not so good. 

I live in a village, that is full of the low class, low educated. we have all sorts here. so i will keep my trap shut about that.But i have to say, that i am a bit suspect, when i hear of a doctor( a supposedly educated man with a degree and a private practice,) advising a woman who had come to him for advice about contraception, that she was not to worry, as felangs over 60 cannot produce children!:shock1:

On 4/10/2017 at 10:45 AM, Kwasaki said:

That was a good laugh, OP bya. :thumbsup:

at first glance i thought it was pure irony. but when i realised he meant what he wrote i explained to my dogs and then joined them rolling on the floor with laughter :cheesy:

Edited by Naam