Officials attacked over ‘harsh’ tree-trimming job

webfact

Officials attacked over ‘harsh’ tree-trimming job
By The Nation

3d27b80a2fde8083bb1d550f32c56d08.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- A non-governmental group has slammed the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority (MWA) for the “harsh” trimming job done on trees along Prachacheun Road's waterworks canal in Bangkok, with its Facebook condemnation going viral on Monday.

The MWA explained that the job to trim the trees near Dhurakij Pundit University was done in accordance with the Water Supply Canal Act 1983, in order to maintain the waterways that funnel raw water to tap-water facilities. 

The agency said it had asked local bodies to trim the trees for fear tall trees could fall and block the waterway and affect the Bang Khean tap-water facility. 

The MWA apologised for what happened and said it would ask the local bodies to stop trimming trees and appropriate response measures would be discussed.

The Thailand Urban Tree Network said the trees were trimmed too much.

It said a network member discovered that had been done on April 6 and photographic evidence was taken.

The group urged people to remain vigilant in relation to the issue, with lush trees welcomed when trying to minimise the heat.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30311888

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-10

8 minutes ago, BobTH said:

I used to trim trees and I think they look nice. In a few months they fill out and be nice looking and healthier.

This is a recognised tree-pruning technique known as pollarding, normally reserved for trees that have been allowed to overgrow and have branches crossing inside.  All the upper branches are cut off at the top of the trunk.

It''s pretty drastic  and normally reserved for trees which have been badly neglected.  In about a year, there will a large increase in new growth, but that is when careful attention needs to be paid to the trees to ensure that the new growth doesn't spread too much and make the tress as bad as before the pollarding.

My suspicion is that in this case, someone was a bit too over-enthusiastic with the chain-saw, rather than being a proper arboriculturalist.  

The trees around our condo look a bit like this after the chainsaw man has had a go at them. They are usually trimmed off at whatever height his ladder or scaffold can reach. Unless he's just climbing around without a rope of course.  Thankfully the trees seem to recover and grow quite ok afterwards. 

They look fine, as far as the trimming goes. They will grow back in several months. When I trim the trees in my yard, they grow back with a vengeance within 5/6 months. I must say though, they love cutting down trees here. I've never seen anything like it...

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/04/2017 at 4:31 PM, Beats56 said:

They did this at the beach we go to.

Use put the mat down for a Sunday outing. Very little shade now. I hope you are all right they will grow back.

A bit like the 'barber' I used last time I was in Pattaya. Short back and sides.