Internet with TOT

JGV

My girlfriend arranged last year for Online Internet with TOT to be installed last September

Recently business has been poor so last week I told her to tell TOT that the service was to be stopped - as the invoices are a month late being issued it required the service to be cut on Apr 5th last week - come this morning the 10th it was still on at the address given to TOT

At lunchtime I went to the office with the router and told the manager that the Internet was still on and that I wasn't happy that they hadn't pulled the plug as instructed - an argument ensued about my girlfriend not signing a form that TOT hadn't given her, The police were called by the female manager and because of my THai language ability she lost complete face in her office, in front of the police and her junior staff

She didn't stop the service hoping to extort 700 Baht threatened if the 1 year contract wasn't honoured - this of course was a bluff as was the threat of the police who were frankly bored to be involved in this trivia

The motto make sure you control these snobby government staff who think they can control you because of their position

I revelled in her loss of face and maybe next time she will think twice about this behaviour and dire service

OP's done wonders for foreign relations. Undoubtedly foreigners with genuine problems will be helped so much quicker now all thanks to the OP.

Because TOT have always be so straight forward to deal with, this will help a lot. :sick:

/sarcasm

I had my TOT transferred from wi-fi to fiber recently. The wi-fi was in my wife's name (who is no longer domiciled in the house. Don't ask!) so I really couldn't do a thing. I went a few days later with my step-son who speaks both English and Thai. I spoke calmly and reasonably, explaining what I hoped they could do. The lady at TOT remarked to my step-son that I was a "nice" falang, not like others.

The upshot was that I got the wi-fi account transferred to fiber (working great!) with no hassle. I think too many of us expats rely on confrontation rather than conciliation. I mean, we all know that the rules here can be bent by almost anybody if they feel like it. So what's with all the hostility? Be nice! In my experience it pays off more often than not.

17 hours ago, sturdyd said:

I had my TOT transferred from wi-fi to fiber recently. The wi-fi was in my wife's name (who is no longer domiciled in the house. Don't ask!) so I really couldn't do a thing. I went a few days later with my step-son who speaks both English and Thai. I spoke calmly and reasonably, explaining what I hoped they could do. The lady at TOT remarked to my step-son that I was a "nice" falang, not like others.

The upshot was that I got the wi-fi account transferred to fiber (working great!) with no hassle. I think too many of us expats rely on confrontation rather than conciliation. I mean, we all know that the rules here can be bent by almost anybody if they feel like it. So what's with all the hostility? Be nice! In my experience it pays off more often than not.

Lucky you!

Living in a relatively remote area (i.e. no neighbours), other internet providers aren't interested (understandably) in setting up a new line to my house - so I'm stuck with TOT.

For some unknown reason I stopped receiving bills more than a year ago, and have to go through the palaver of trying to pay at 7/11 with very old bills.  To be fair, sometimes this is easy - but other times we go through the "mai dai" pantomime....

Numerous 'phone calls to TOT, and still zero bills received - although to be fair they always promise to look into the problem or blame it on the Post Office (who similarly blame TOT) :saai:.

Why TOT? Well, I guess maybe I am lucky. Like most of you I went through the whole Thai internet thing. Dial-up (lousy),  DTAC and AIS dongles (okay, but expensive for very few minutes), then to TOT wi-fi with the towering tall antenna on my balcony (pretty good, but occasional outages and slowdowns, sometimes for two or three days). Actually, the experience with the wi-fi was a good thing. Due to the slowdowns and outages I learned that going to the TOT office was much, much more effective than calling. I visited a few times for problem resolution and apparently established a relationship with the people there. Again, I was always polite. So when the fiber became available I did the thing from my original post, got fiber, and am very satisfied with it. I've had it for several months now and haven't had a single problem. I live near Ayutthaya so maybe I just have good infrastructure in my area. But I've also got to think that being a polite and smiling presence in their office -- I even pay my bill there -- has something to do with it.

2 hours ago, SiamBeast said:

Why did you take TOT? They're always down, and when they manage to be up, they're down anyway.

Maybe in your area.

About 5 days downtime in 4 years and the majority due to dumb-nuts tearing down the line with trucks, tractors, cane loaders etc.

Likewise.

We've been with TOT for almost 13 years from dial-up to ADSL to Fiber - we've had few issues beyond the occasional catastrophic failure due to circumstances beyond TOT's control.

Internet in Thailand is a postcode lottery - in Hat Yai TOT are good value.

5 hours ago, Stocky said:

Likewise.

We've been with TOT for almost 13 years from dial-up to ADSL to Fiber - we've had few issues beyond the occasional catastrophic failure due to circumstances beyond TOT's control.

Internet in Thailand is a postcode lottery - in Hat Yai TOT are good value.

+1...I've had ToT for about 13 years also in Suphanburi and it's usually been OK...most of the connection issues have been weather related...now with fiber there's been little to complain about...

some areas are better than others...if possible best to survey the neighbors to see what ISP works the best in yer area...

Archived