Pattaya woman in iPhone 7 "finders keepers" case intends to fight charges of theft

webfact

2 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

In Thailand the law is not so Black and White as some are suggesting, one have to take into account following matters:

1. Does the defendant have a sick water buffalo at the family farm or not?

2. How many relatives to the defendant rely on her income?

3. A background check of the accuser may very well reveal unexpected wealth, in which case she could very well easily afford to pay the 5,000 Baht, as well as some side donations to various police departments and justice functionalities. 

4. The defendant may very well have an uncle in the military or police, in which case the whole thing becomes a nogo......

Justice by banana........

And who wants a crappy I-phone anyways? better to buy a new real phone......any Android will do.....

Who wants a crappy iphone? Over one billion have been sold, so quite a lot.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Maggusoil said:

Positive balance.

(Note to Thai bashers)

This woman obviously has a low moral character. 

I've had a tuk tuk driver return my phone in Bangkok, that another passenger "found" in the tuk tuk. That 'took' going back to my condo, locating me inside and running up six flights of stairs and not wanting a reward.

Whilst I used to do the same in Australia, I had another taxi driver 'friend' there that never returned a phone left in his cab. He had about six.

Different strokes for different folks.

I was wondering how many posts it would take before a "But but it happens in my country" merchant piped up. There always has to be one pillock who reckons two wrongs make a right. It took 43 posts before his message of encouragement to this thieving piece of filth.

3 hours ago, Headgame said:

I will save her some legal fees notwithstanding the common sense answers provided by my fellow BM's.

Not sure about TH but there is a concept of finders - keepers. You can legally find something and keep it under specific circumstances. However you can't find something in a private establishment and keep it. A 7-Eleven store is not a public place (although open to the public). Therefore, you can't find something in a 7-Eleven and keep it. IOW, it is a case of theft.

Case closed.

In England it's classed as 'theft by finding'

" Sad thing is no matter what the outcome she will have it in her head that she was right. Try explaining it to her and she will put her fingers in her ears and sing, and then inevitably turn aggressive/violent."

You really do understand Thai "culture" so well !

1 hour ago, timewilltell said:

There was another case of a £5 note being found in a supermarket where the woman was charged after being identified by CCTV.  There was a bit of a fuss about that with many people thinking the charge was wrong.  Actually you cannot find stuff and keep it in the UK.  The laws in Thailand are a lottery but pretty clear this is a case of theft as the owner was identifiable and contacted - so it is theft and probably extortion, but then the law here is always 'up to the judge' so who knows what the end result will be.  A common issue where there is no precedent and judges from the lowest experienced to the highest are given free reign to indulge what they 'think' rather than applying any legal foundations or laws to the case.  

I found an Aussie $50 note on the pavement here in CM a few months ago. Picked it up and looked around to see if anybody was nearby who may have looked remotely Aussie or a nearby person. Alas, there was nobody nearby so the next day i exchanged it for Thai baht and drank the winnings. Did i do the wrong thing?

Even when i explained to the Thai woman at the money exchange i found the money she said 'lucky for you'... but now i am not so sure?

Edited by SpeakeasyThai

1 hour ago, timewilltell said:

There was another case of a £5 note being found in a supermarket where the woman was charged after being identified by CCTV.  There was a bit of a fuss about that with many people thinking the charge was wrong.  Actually you cannot find stuff and keep it in the UK.  

Quite.  'Stealing by finding'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theft_by_finding

6 hours ago, pitrevie said:

Well hiring a lawyer is a positive step he should be able to explain the law to her but then again maybe not.

....and the lawyer will cost how much per hour?

I knew this Thai woman in the US that was married to an American.  They had a falling out and he had had her sign a prenup before they got married which basically left her a car and a few bucks. He filed for divorce and produced the ironclad prenup. She went through 5 lawyers and lost at every turn.  Then she had her family in Thailand to borrow money against their house for even more lawyers to fight this losing battle.  I'm not sure how much money she lost in all this, but it was a lot.  In the end she didn't get another penny and the lawyers made a bunch of money.  I tried to reason with her and tell her to move on, but she was having none of it.  

Point of the story, once one of these girls is convinced they are in the right, nothing will change their mind.  Nothing.

It will be very interesting to see how the Thai police treat this case.

We had a case like this but for a much smaller item of value in the UK a couple of months ago. It was over a small sum of money, £20, found on the floor of a store. A woman, Nicole Bailey, found the £20 note and just put it in her pocket, guessing that it probably fell out of someone's pocket and the person would probably not remember where they lost it.

But she had not reckoned with Staffordshire's finest! Staffordshire Police solved the case (using CC TV, I suspect). Instead of giving her a caution and getting her to pay back the money (very normal in such circumstances), they instead subjected her to a full-belt-boots-and-braces show trial during which she had to plead guilty, get her name in the newspaper and get a criminal record (her alternative would have been to fight it at great personal financial cost).

By the way, getting a criminal record in the UK can have a huge effect on your life - your employer can fire you on that basis, you may not be able to get another job in your profession, your insurance may be invalidated, you may find it hard to get insurance or mortgages or they will become very expensive, you may have difficulties setting up in business, getting finance - the list is quite endless, actually. And this is what the Staffordshire Police did to this woman.

It completely beats me why Staffordshire police were able to devote so many resources to this case - you only have to read the local newspapers to see that the level of violent and other crime in that part of the world is very high. You would have thought that they would be concerned with the high rape, robbery and general violence rather than a finders-keepers case - especially when a huge number of people believe that if you find a small amount of money in a public place, it is yours to keep and you are not committing theft!

Anyone who wrote to Staffordshire Police to complain about their behaviour were told that their complaints had no basis because the complainants were not themselves adversely affected and their complaints were rejected.

So, welcome to the Police State of Staffordshire which has nothing on the Military State of Thailand!

4 hours ago, daveAustin said:

This is what happens when you combine face and stupidity.

If she'd have found it on the street, it is finders keepers, not in a commercial place which the owner just frequented. The court will shred her... maybe.

Sorry, duck, but you is a brain-dead skank thief.

That is in fact also wrong, the great thing about a phone is that you have a very good chance of identifying the owner just like a wallet or any other item with possible personal details or a means to find the owner, now if it had been a 1000baht note that is a different matter entirely.

This woman is showing a level of childish stupidity that is quite frankly shocking, I am pretty sure that the police and now hopefully her lawyer will be able to explain to her she is in the wrong and if that fails a hefty fine might just do the trick, I'm going to guess that right now some of her (equally stupid) friends/relatives are giving her extremely bad advice.

anyone know which establishment she was working so I know to avoid it

2 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Serves her right. there was a recent case in the UK where a woman found a small amount of cash in sthe street and didn't hand it over to the cops. Seen on CCTV she was reported for theft.

wrong, it was in a shop

9 minutes ago, catman20 said:

one assumes that the phone has already been returned to the owner

9 minutes ago, catman20 said:

dont think so!

why ? I would like to think the owner immediately got her property back

I don't see how the police after identifying the owner would not have returned the phone, also they would not be prosecuting this stupid woman for theft either

3 hours ago, Penicillin said:

Haha; but so true .  It's termed "digesting the retainer fee"  I have seen hundreds if not thousands prime examples over the years.  

When dealing with lawyers its like being on a surf board and not seeing that a shark is following you. 

16 minutes ago, smedly said:

why ? I would like to think the owner immediately got her property back

I don't see how the police after identifying the owner would not have returned the phone, also they would not be prosecuting this stupid woman for theft either

I guess there is a shortage of murder and mayhem at the moment. 

8 hours ago, jerojero said:

What an idiot. Just give the phone back to the rightful owner. Sheesh!

Maybe she's already flogged the phone and using delay tactics to threaten the owner with a lawer hoping she'll back down.

Nasty horrible woman!

She is digger a deeper hole for herself.

This could lead to punitive and financial damages.

If she has to steal a phone, I doubt she has the retainer cash for the alleged lawyer who will probably will be a paralegal. 

They need to do a psych evaluation on her.   If she has a history of mental illness, charges will probably be dropped.

1 minute ago, Kabula said:

She is digger a deeper hole for herself.

This could lead to punitive and financial damages.

If she has to steal a phone, I doubt she has the retainer cash for the alleged lawyer who will probably will be a paralegal. 

They need to do a psych evaluation on her.   If she has a history of mental illness, charges will probably be dropped.

Insanity practice time. 

2 hours ago, mick01827 said:

In England it's classed as 'theft by finding'

So in England you find a 10 pound note or whatever note is close to that, on the floor of a busy bar or club, you are required to return it to the police? Or someone at the club?  You have to be kidding us!!

If returned to someone at club what would they now do with it?  How would they determine whose note that was?  It could have been my own note falling out of my own pocket. That is why it was down by my own feet.  

Edited by alex8912

6 hours ago, dhind1 said:

I have to agree, the correct thing is to return the phone. May she lose her own phone soon so she understands......

Interesting that the police are investigating her background before proceeding. Why? To find out if she has any social or financial clout that they can use to their advantage? Seems pretty open and shut to me.