Thai Finance Min eyes US-North Korea confrontation closely

webfact

Finance eyes US-North Korea confrontation closely

87_Somchai.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Finance is keeping a close eye on developments in the US Syria war and the US-North Korea confrontation saying it has prepared measures to cope with possible emergencies that may arise.

Somchai Sajjapong, the permanent-secretary of the Ministry of Finance (MOF) stated that he believed there will be no direct impact on Thailand during the initial period of the US Syria war because the amount of trade between Thailand and Syria is marginal.

Mr Somchai however felt that the impact on the country’s major trading partners needs to be monitored closely.

On the whole, the MOF believes that Thailand’s economic foundation is still strong and will be able to adequately cope with global developments.

They however voiced their concern over the strong likelihood of a rise in global oil prices and conflict in Korean peninsula as a result of the move of US warships to Korean Peninsula.

To alleviate public fears, the Fiscal Policy Office of the Ministry of Finance stated that the MOF continuously monitors foreign conflicts which they then report to the government.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/finance-eyes-us-north-korea-confrontation-closely/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-04-11

I had no idea there was a "US Syria war" or "US North Korea confrontation"

There has been a movement of US ships close to N Korea but no confrontation and the escalation of US Syria is not yet classified as a war, as far as I know.

Shouldn't it be the Foreign Ministry that comments on these matters?

45 minutes ago, cmsally said:

I had no idea there was a "US Syria war" or "US North Korea confrontation"

There has been a movement of US ships close to N Korea but no confrontation and the escalation of US Syria is not yet classified as a war, as far as I know.

Shouldn't it be the Foreign Ministry that comments on these matters?

"  escalation of US Syria is not yet classified as a war"

maybe he is simply extrapolating based on a not unreasonable assumption (based on very recent discussions between Putin and Italy’s President) that is only a matter of time………….. unless the neocons have a sudden change of heart

Russia has information of a potential incident similar to the alleged chemical attack in Idlib province, possibly targeting a Damascus suburb, President Vladimir Putin said. The goal is to discredit the government of Syrian President Assad, he added.

“We have reports from multiple sources that false flags like this one – and I cannot call it otherwise – are being prepared in other parts of Syria, including the southern suburbs of Damascus. They plan to plant some chemical there and accuse the Syrian government of an attack,” he said at a joint press conference with Italian President Sergio Mattarella in Moscow.

https://www.rt.com/news/384333-putin-idlib-attack-provocation/