Family visit

Hello,

my mother from Germany is going to visit me in Thailand next month for 28 days. She will live with me at my condo for the period of time. I heard some bad stories about entry refusals because of not showing cash, hotel bookings, etc. 

Should I prepare for anything? She has has not much money and will unlikely travel with much cash. And even if she has enough cash, she has no hotel bookings. How should we prepare?

Is it correct that I have to report her stay at Immigration?

You do not have much to worry about. As long as your mother has a return flight ticket, she will be able to enter Thailand visa exempt. The stories that are causing you concern apply to people who have spent long periods in Thailand already, and are suspected of working here illegally.

Technically you should report that your mother is staying at your address. If you're in Bangkok they don't enforce this law, if not, check with your local office if it's needed.

Even if needed many people don't bother reporting guests. Worst case for not reporting is a 2,000 baht fine, but it's typically 800 baht. Usually people only get fined if the guest has some reason to use the local immigration office. There are no other penalties/consequences for not reporting.