Backhoe company in China

I'm in Udon and planning on a house on 2 rai starting after the rainy season.  I'm looking at Alibaba for a backhoe for my L4508 Kubota 45 hp tractor and there are a lot of manufacturers running ads.  

Does anyone have experience with one...or purchased a backhoe or other machinery from any manufacturer that you might recommend?  

My intended use is to trench for irrigation pipes, dig post and tree holes, and whatever light home garden digging that comes along.  It seems workers are too busy drinking 40 Degree to work these days and when paid by the day they get very little accomplished.  At least when I farmed our 137 Rai, that was my experience.  

When I need work done, I would rather do it myself than wait for others.  I'm seeing ads for $2750+ USD for an LW-7. Any suggestions is appreciated.

You might be able to get a mini excavator here in country for around that price which would probably have a better hydraulic system.

Kubota have an attachment but not sure if it is for your model.I saw one in Loei a few years back.

You might be able to get a mini excavator here in country for around that price which would probably have a better hydraulic system.
Kubota have an attachment but not sure if it is for your model.I saw one in Loei a few years back.

The link is bad...no content to show. Can you send it again?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

One company on Alibaba quoted $1800 for a backhoe attachment. That's pretty low right? Maybe too cheap. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpa7GT6pfsI

The lw-7 looks alright as long as your not in a hurry.

The key with this attachment would be patience and a good cutting edge on the bucket.

The backhoes i had a few years back(jcb) had the joy stick controls which worked opposite to those of an excavator so it wasn't until i reversed some hoses that operation became easier.

Would be nice if you didn't need your tractor for anything else and could leave it attached all the time.

What size irrigation pipe do you intend to lay? 

Hard to know what you get for $1800 without make,model and is pto pump kit included.

Thanks for all your comments.  Here is a little more info.  All the stumps were removed...I hired an excavator.  The backhoe is just for my personal garden landscaping for the house I am about to build.  I need to trench through some pretty soft sandy soil for irrigation, tree holes,  and fence footings.  I don't loan out my stuff that much because when it comes back damaged I'm the one who pays.  I've seen videos on backhoes on tractors and they say run the engine at 2600 for faster use..but I'm not hiring out and don't care too much how fast it goes.  It will no doubt be faster than a shovel.

If you have certain things you look for in a backhoe, what are they?  Do you know any of the made in China models you like and recommend?  I know some can be cheap but I am new to Made in China stuff and don't want to waste money on something that breaks.

Thanks again.

ps I did see the auction site and there seems to be some pretty nice deals on mini excavators $9000-up but that is another thing to repair and I know zip about what to look for.  I think the tractor backhoe is in my wheelhouse.

Marc

So Farmerjo, I was looking at the LW-7 as well.  If you see one on Alibaba that looks good, let me know.  I absolutely don't know what looks good and which is junk.  Thanks for the comment.  One guy posted that he got one in China and would buy it again and that sounds like an endorsement if I ever heard on but he didn't say from where is got it.

Marc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94eo1ERrzww

Hi Marc,

I only have experience with the JCB 3CX,not detachable ones.

With them the centre pivot pin would wear overtime but never bad enough to replace.

Like any bit of machinery,keep the grease up to the pins and bushes and you should get a good run.

In the video above this American dude rates Korean made over Chinese and talks about the reinforcing areas to look out for.

I only buy equipment for personal use in country but do know of a couple of guys who have successfully imported gear in.

Hi Marc,
I only have experience with the JCB 3CX,not detachable ones.
With them the centre pivot pin would wear overtime but never bad enough to replace.
Like any bit of machinery,keep the grease up to the pins and bushes and you should get a good run.
In the video above this American dude rates Korean made over Chinese and talks about the reinforcing areas to look out for.
I only buy equipment for personal use in country but do know of a couple of guys who have successfully imported gear in.

China...S Korea...all the same to me. And I don't think my Kubota will handle a subframe attachment unless it is a bolt on option. So will you connect me to your friends who imported stuff into Thailand? I need some experienced help on that,

Thanks for the reply.

Marc

I agree  with farmer  jo ,buy a small  backhoe  locally ,I had a look at one a  while ago 175 000 baht  ,a  second-hand import  from Japan  it started  and worked ok  in the sellers yard , what it will be like  after  a few weeks  work  I would not know  but any problems it  can be fixed  locally .

As has been said once the  back hoe is on the tractor , not a 5 minute job to  take it off  and sod's law  says   you need the tractor for another job .

As I see it when  you have your jobs  done  will it have any other work?  if you had a  small   backhoe  I would say  local  farmers  will want you to do some jobs for them, around  here  it is 800 bart/hour  to hire  a 360 backhoe  ,  make a trailer   use the tractor to tow it , you could make a  few  bob ,that is if you want to ,or get a family member  to drive it . my  2  stangs worth.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2017 at 9:13 PM, kickstart said:

I agree  with farmer  jo ,buy a small  backhoe  locally ,I had a look at one a  while ago 175 000 baht  ,a  second-hand import  from Japan  it started  and worked ok  in the sellers yard , what it will be like  after  a few weeks  work  I would not know  but any problems it  can be fixed  locally .

As has been said once the  back hoe is on the tractor , not a 5 minute job to  take it off  and sod's law  says   you need the tractor for another job .

As I see it when  you have your jobs  done  will it have any other work?  if you had a  small   backhoe  I would say  local  farmers  will want you to do some jobs for them, around  here  it is 800 bart/hour  to hire  a 360 backhoe  ,  make a trailer   use the tractor to tow it , you could make a  few  bob ,that is if you want to ,or get a family member  to drive it . my  2  stangs worth.

Yes thanks...been back and forth on the matter and am still undecided.  Maybe I should rent a mini backhoe when I need it which won't be very often and for very long.  But I never know when I might need to dig a trench or a hole and waiting on the Thais to get off their duffs and work for a day or two takes for ever.  Things move faster when I do it myself.  And of course I don't speak enough Thai to describe what I want done and before my wife gets to it, I have to explain and convince her of the need.  Is it like this all over?  I've visited the auction site and found some backhoes but I'd prefer to rent one for the day and buy it if it performs without crapping out.  That way I don't have to explain to family and relatives why I won't loan that tool out either.  More tools = more things for family to borrow and break.  Thanks again.

A backhoe is a big investment. I bought a Kubota mini digger from Kubota. 400,000B.

Two months later the right side drive collapsed due to no lube. Cost me 20,000B to fix it.

BUT I have loads of use for it putting in water supply, pool build, clearing young rubber, prepping land for trees. Had it 12 months, planning to sell it next year.

The convenience factor is worth 10x plus relying on hire from locals. And it's great fun to use.

• 1 month later...
A backhoe is a big investment. I bought a Kubota mini digger from Kubota. 400,000B.

Two months later the right side drive collapsed due to no lube. Cost me 20,000B to fix it.

BUT I have loads of use for it putting in water supply, pool build, clearing young rubber, prepping land for trees. Had it 12 months, planning to sell it next year.

The convenience factor is worth 10x plus relying on hire from locals. And it's great fun to use.

I totally agree. It took my wife 2 weeks to finally 'clear her schedule' so we could visit the gravel quarry today to just inquire about base gravel and delivery and before we were done she's telling me what we need and how much we'll pay. Needless to say that didn't bode well for her. And the list goes on...so yeah I'll get my own mini backhoe. Looking at a rebuilt Kobelco for 280,000 at JSSR auction. But still looking.

I totally agree. It took my wife 2 weeks to finally 'clear her schedule' so we could visit the gravel quarry today to just inquire about base gravel and delivery and before we were done she's telling me what we need and how much we'll pay. Needless to say that didn't bode well for her. And the list goes on...so yeah I'll get my own mini backhoe. Looking at a rebuilt Kobelco for 280,000 at JSSR auction. But still looking.

By the way, what model mini digger did you get?

I totally agree that a mini excavator is by far the best option. Those add on backhoes don't amount to much. One reason is that the tractor hydraulic pump doesn't have enough capacity to run that much of a hydraulic system. The main problem is it is a pain to move forward while digging a trench. The add on backhoe simply isn't mobile enough.  The mini excavator with its tracks is highly mobile and is able to turn 90 degrees in its own length. Maneuvering a backhoe is a genuine pain. If you have ever used a backhoe, you would know that for sure. I would hate to have to mount that attachment every time I wanted to use it. Even with a three point hitch, changing from a plow to the rotary tiller is a pain. I need someone to help me change three point implements.

I agree and am now looking at auctions etc to find a decent mini excavator.  I have no experience with this equipment but have read a ton on the internet is have watched many YouTube videos on how to check over an excavator.  I've been looking at Kobelco,  Komatsu, Hitachi, and Kubota.  I cannot wait 9 months.  How do you like your Kubota?

37 minutes ago, MarcIssan said:

I agree and am now looking at auctions etc to find a decent mini excavator.  I have no experience with this equipment but have read a ton on the internet is have watched many YouTube videos on how to check over an excavator.  I've been looking at Kobelco,  Komatsu, Hitachi, and Kubota.  I cannot wait 9 months.  How do you like your Kubota?

Great little machine. Parts not too expensive as made here. Good depth reach for trenches, bout 2m depth, good breakout force. Very reliable.

One thing I did was to wrap the exhaust. This was to enable the bonnet to be kept shut whilst operating. Got fed up with step son driving round with the bonnet open, twatting trees on slew.

2 hours ago, MarcIssan said:

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you send pics and further explanation.

As for step son, I don't have one and plan not to loan or rent it out without my approved operator...brother in law.

Watch and you'll notice every backhoe works with the bonnet open to vent engine heat.

To reduce engine temperature via heat from the exhaust I bought exhaust wrap to insulate the exhaust and enable the bonnet to be kept closed when operating. It makes a big difference to engine temperature. The engine bay is really cramped.

Never rent or loan it out, ever. You'll piss off the local backhoe owners who will probably report you, or worse, come round one night and wreck your machine.

Approved operator, BIL, 555. Stepson was 8 years British Army driving tanks. Then 3 years driving backhoes in the UK.

Now he's back home here he still thinks he's driving a <deleted> Challenger2.

2 biggest cost replacement items are hydraulic pump around B60k and drive gear around B20k each. Look for worn drive sprockets and track pins also (think I already mentioned that).

You can get a narrow trenching bucket from Kubota for around B8k. I had a 3ft grading bucket made for B16k. You never see them in Thailand, Kubota don't sell them and it's probably the bucket I use most.

IMG20170704162147.jpg

IMG20170704162242.jpg

IMG20170704164556.jpg

Hi Grollies,

Are they steel or rubber tracks or one of each?

I made a mistake this year putting stone down around the house and shed without proper compaction.

With all the rain we've had the stone comes up in the clay and does quite a bit of damage to the rubber tracks so i have to be always cleaning them.(that's on a crawler)

Sorry i see you mention check the pins. 

17 minutes ago, MarcIssan said:

Ok thanks.

Yours was 2nd hand?  How much if you don't mind.  I'm game for 250,000 to 300,000 but I'm looking for pretty nice condition.

420k 2nd hand, with 2 buckets, bucket shims and delivery. 12 months warranty on engine parts. They won't warrant 'consumables' like tracks, hoses, rams & seals, etc.

2 years has one burst hose, one ram seal (both cheap as chips to replacd) and the biggy, the drive gear one side. My fault I never checked the lube when it was delivered. Like you, not much experience then....

Now I'm a dab hand at whipping tracks off and replacing drive gear. Another tip, always go for genuine parts. I bought a cheap gear main bearing that wouldn't accommodate the outer ball bearings. Mai pen rai turned out not to be true, like so much here. Did get my money back on the bearing though.

KX91-3 not -C as I posted earlier.

3 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Hi Grollies,

Are they steel or rubber tracks or one of each?

I made a mistake this year putting stone down around the house and shed without proper compaction.

With all the rain we've had the stone comes up in the clay and does quite a bit of damage to the rubber tracks so i have to be always cleaning them.(that's on a crawler) 

Hello mate, steel tracks. I've done the same, stone round some of the house and chicken sheds. Yeah, bit of a mess. Going to put in land drainage come November (co-incidentally when my mate comes over from Canada :smile:) then I'll probably sell it.

Going to extend the laterite drive right up to the back of the house, just mud at the moment. Wifey soon learned how the 4WD worked.

I've made a stand for the backhoe from block and 6x2 carbon steel beam. I lift the backhoe, slot the beams in and leave about 1ft off the ground. Easy cleaning with jetwash.

Archived