Free Windows 7 ??

gkroo

I am currently still running Windows XP on my home desk top and was wondering if any of the googled replies offering downloads of free Windows 7 are safe ? Also if I chose to upgrade can I still retain all my existing files,bookmarks etc etc. Thanks for your kind feedback as I am not too computer savvy & purely an avid user !!! 

The is no free upgrade of Windows 7. Though it may be possible, dependent on the machine. It would require a clean install, therefore wiping away all files on the hard drive.

To avoid this, fit an SSD(improving the performance enormously) and install to that. Leaving the original hard drive data intact.

What is the brand name and model number of your PC?

No, no free upgrades. You can probably find a cheap key, though, if you look around, and then download legit Win 7 from Microsoft. Try to get a recommendation about the vendor, maybe on some computer forum. You'll need to backup your bookmarks etc and copy/import them to the new installation.

Hi! It´s true there are no free Windows 7 out there, even if you can find some working copies that basically are illegal.
Regarding upgrading Windows XP to Windows 7, there is a possibility but you will have to reinstall your programs.

For doing the upgrade that is possible you should follow this site and instructions:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2152900/upgrade-from-xp-to-windows-7.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2017 at 3:09 AM, Get Real said:

Hi! It´s true there are no free Windows 7 out there, even if you can find some working copies that basically are illegal.
Regarding upgrading Windows XP to Windows 7, there is a possibility but you will have to reinstall your programs.

For doing the upgrade that is possible you should follow this site and instructions:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2152900/upgrade-from-xp-to-windows-7.html

Thanks friend for sharing it is a really great link.