A Night Out with the Foreign Tourist Police in Thailand's Seediest City

webfact

On 4/13/2017 at 1:36 PM, Thaiwrath said:

Never to this day, understood why anybody would want to be a police volunteer here ?

Not accepted as a proper copper in their home country in their younger days ? 

Must be a connection with the snazy uniforms, badges and get to wear the madatory paratrooper badge. 

Saw one in a office block in Aoske a while back. Bright police vest over his police polo shirt and slightly too small police baseball cap with sunglasses above the brim; WW11 shorts and sandals with socks. Real SWAT wannabee 555 !

On 4/14/2017 at 6:34 AM, onemorechang said:

Come to pattaya and become a cop !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah

Ex pat,  4 hobbies, a week,  also prop up a bar a few times as well.

Do we need to become a cops,   to fulfil our lives. No.

Don't join the plonkers club, 

There's loads to do in this town.

Let the Thais be the cops,  they are more than capable of this.

They do not need foreign rejects,  for help.

Ps  Also they are taking  jobs away from good Thai citizens,  who could be employed in this roll if it's needed.

I was wondering. I think I read that the Tourist Police do not have the same powers as the normal Thai police. Is that correct?

And if so, what powers, if any are actually delegated to these foreign volunteers?

16 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

I was wondering. I think I read that the Tourist Police do not have the same powers as the normal Thai police. Is that correct?

And if so, what powers, if any are actually delegated to these foreign volunteers?

Don't know.

very few powers  i would think,  if any !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But there are a few of them,   that lurk around this forum.

maybe they can tell you.

Tourist police have powers to detain but actual arrests are normally the responsibility of regular police but that varies. Foreign Tourist Assistants and Foreign Police Volunteers have whatever powers are given by a Thai officer in any situation and are expected to assist in detaining, handcuffing or whatever is called for.

In every case, it is the Thai officer who is in charge and Foreign volunteers have no powers without such an officer being present or having given any instructions.

Edited by oxforddon

I appreciate the volunteers. Thank you to all of them for their time and service to others. My Thai language skills are not great and it is good to see an Expat that can understand me if trouble or and issue arises.  

• 2 weeks later...
On Thu Apr 13 2017 at 4:50 PM, ChakaKhan said:

I would do it just to warn tourists about he truth here--but thai cops would likely fire me

or worse!....:wai::ph34r:..if u cant beat em join em.....do i get a cut of the helmet scam????

Haha the 100% helmet scam don't you just love it.. The funny thing is you see most Thai police riding with out a helmet what a good example they leads...So funny now they have another one where you can't ride in the back of a ute that's another joke.

Edited by Eli1

2 hours ago, Eli1 said:

Haha the 100% helmet scam don't you just love it.. The funny thing is you see most Thai police riding with out a helmet what a good example they leads...So funny now they have another one where you can't ride in the back of a ute that's another joke.

I got into a shouting match with the drunk thai cop last week over his 3rd attempt to get me

He tried to take my keys--got em back----hid my atm card and just a copy of my license

After threatening to drag me into the police station he finally wrote me a tx--guess where it is...

On 4/14/2017 at 11:56 AM, joskeshake said:

the parachute wing on their uniform, means they took many times airplane from homecountry to Thailand 55

The truth is even funnier :D they get them by jumping off one of these. Notice the ropes.

My understanding is that possession of the wings equates to a slight bump in pension.

rama6camp4.jpg

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

The truth is even funnier :D they get them by jumping off one of these. Notice the ropes.

My understanding is that possession of the wings equates to a slight bump in pension.

rama6camp4.jpg

When I was a kid at our local carnival, used to have alot of military stands, recruitment etc. The Parachute Regiment used to have one of these, I think if you were 14yr old or over you could have a go.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I actually feel sorry for these farang police guys, a thankless job that could get then a severe beating from certain people, 

I also have no idea at all why anyone would want to join an organization that is widely known for corrupt practices, it must have something to do with a power trip, but I know some guys that would dish out a very harsh punishment to these Farangs should they start throwing their weight around, but that's up to them I suppose.

Helping with translation is another matter, but they only need a tag around the neck for that, they certainly don't need to be dressed like a stormtrooper with Batmans utility belt, Howard who stopped using this forum long ago used to head these Farangs and he wasn't a bad guy, in fact he was alright, but most I saw were obviously doing it for other reasons, strutting around on a self imagined power trip etc.

Plenty of dodgy Farangs in Pattaya, and Pattaya Police are dodgy too, a combination that is bound to have dodgy Farang  Volunteers. 

But what do I know.....

Edited by Broken Record

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/4/2017 at 10:47 PM, rwdrwdrwd said:

rama6camp4.jpg

i was writing about the wings on uniform of tourist police.

Firstly, they are not Police, they are civilians. Only a Thai national can be recruited as Police. So they have no powers of arrest, none whatsoever. So I'm puzzled as to why the Thais use foreign volunteers to do something that clearly the Thais can do themselves?

Firstly, they are not Police, they are civilians. Only a Thai national can be recruited as Police. So they have no powers of arrest, none whatsoever. So I'm puzzled as to why the Thais use foreign volunteers to do something that clearly the Thais can do themselves?

To deal with cultural and linguistic misunderstandings.

Everyone gets parachute wings for jumping off a 20 foot tower. Even my wife has hers, so she can wear on her white uniform. She told me she's embarrassed to wear with her tan uniform.

Edited by tomwct

On ‎13‎/‎4‎/‎2560 at 1:52 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

Maybe just a desire to give something back to the local community.  

If that is so, why is the only place they are seen on Walking St?

Are they pretending there are no problems elsewhere? Why are they not along the promenade and Soi 6, 7, 8, Boystown, etc etc etc?

Walking St. never saw a TPV for years after it started, but now the charade happens every night.

Why is it that child exploitation happens every night in plain view, but they never do anything about it?

This is the usual, seen it all before, BS by a so called journalist wanting a free trip to Fun City. Same sort of articles happen quite regularly over the years.

BTW, parts of London are far more "seedy" than Pattaya, so why don't they report on them?

Bah humbug.

On ‎16‎/‎4‎/‎2560 at 3:35 PM, oxforddon said:

Tourist police have powers to detain but actual arrests are normally the responsibility of regular police but that varies. Foreign Tourist Assistants and Foreign Police Volunteers have whatever powers are given by a Thai officer in any situation and are expected to assist in detaining, handcuffing or whatever is called for.

In every case, it is the Thai officer who is in charge and Foreign volunteers have no powers without such an officer being present or having given any instructions.

Do they have any training in how to deal with people and how to safely restrain violent people etc etc? If not they should not be involved in any way with that sort of thing.

At most should have a big badge saying "translator", and stick to that.