This Cambodian Startup Creates 3D Prosthetics For Landmine Victims

geovalin

Bun Vibol, a fifty-one year old amputee, is finally getting his other hand back. He is one of 40,000 amputees in Cambodia, the country with the highest landmine rates in the world. Vibol had lost his right hand when he fought in Cambodia’s civil was around 30 years ago.
How did he get his hand back? Well, it’s all thanks to 3D printing technology.

His new prosthetic hand, 3D printed out of biodegradable plastic and corn, allows Vibol to reach out and hold the nearest object to him by simply moving his shoulders. He can even go as far as using it for writing. “It’s the first time I’ve had a hand like this, I feel like I was born again” Vibol said.

Vibol is one of the 25 lucky beneficiaries of the collaboration project between Canadian NGO Victoria Hand Project and ARC Hub PNH, a Cambodian 3D-printing startup. The Victoria Hand Project designed the prosthetics, while ARC Hub PNH produced it. One hand takes 40 hours to print and assemble, but only costs $320, which is significantly cheaper than most prosthetics.

read more https://www.gineersnow.com/industries/cambodian-startup-creates-3d-prosthetics-landmine-victims