advice please on procedure when buying used car in another province

kham9

Could anyone please advise on the correct procedures when buying a used car from another province

The buyer will be farang living in phuket, the seller a garage or thai person in bangkok. cash sale, blue book with the seller.

The car will be kept at an address in phuket so eventually will be registered at the DLT office in phuket.

The farang has a certificate of residence for an address in phuket.

My confusion is around which is first and where, registering the new owner in the cars home province or registering the vehicle in the new province?

Also is  the correct time to hand over the money only when the DLT have inspected the car and its blue book, and when is that inspection done?

Many thanks

Paul

First lot of paper work to be done in province that car is registered in.

Then you go to your local place and re-register it and change the No: plates.

You will need a bill of sale and paperwork from original owner.

There might be a small tax bill to pay. Don't know if that still applies.

Easy if you do it in that order.

Tip take a Thai speaker with you.

Edited by fredob43

Different DLT have different requirements ...

In CNX, sold a HD to a guy from Hua Hin. He wanted to have a Hua Hin plate on it - same as his other bikes.

Took the bike to DLT, they inspected the serial numbers, confirmed they matched the Green book.

Supplied the buyer with all the transfer paperwork, which he took with him to Hua Hin.

Paid me the money after paperwork approved.

If you buy from a dealer in BKK they should do the transfer for you. When we went to buy the Teana the seller did everything. I paid the money and picked up the car with Blue book in my name.

Edited by canthai55

Don't do it.  Too many scams out there.  Went through that recently.  If the transaction is being made person to person where money, paperwork and keys are exchanged simultaneously then you should be good to go.  Any 3rd party intervention is almost sure to be a scam.

You can leave the car registered in the same province as you bought it. I bought a vehicle in Bangkok, left the Bangkok plates on it and re-registered it the following year in Chiang Mai. No problem. The only essential is the transfer to your name in the Blue Book.

Edited by bazza73
colour confusion

registering the new owner in the cars home province or registering the vehicle in the new province?
Also is  the correct time to hand over the money only when the DLT have inspected the car and its blue book, and when is that inspection done?
Many thanks
Paul

After inspecting all paperwork and that the car matches the paper work
Check chassis and engine numbers pay money (get receipt) and drive back to Phuket and ask the Phuket DLT to "move" the car to Phuket province they will inspect the car chassis and engine numbers and check for outstanding tax and traffic fines then issue a new registration plate and update you as the new owner.
Make sure you have a signed by previous owner copy of their ID card /passport/ visa page (a certificate of residence if seller is foreign) a signed power of attorney from and that the blue book is signed ..I probably forgott something.

13 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Different DLT have different requirements ...

In CNX, sold a HD to a guy from Hua Hin. He wanted to have a Hua Hin plate on it - same as his other bikes.

Took the bike to DLT, they inspected the serial numbers, confirmed they matched the Green book.

Supplied the buyer with all the transfer paperwork, which he took with him to Hua Hin.

Paid me the money after paperwork approved.

If you buy from a dealer in BKK they should do the transfer for you. When we went to buy the Teana the seller did everything. I paid the money and picked up the car with Blue book in my name.

Some places differ as you have stated.

When I sold my Pickup to a friend in a different province, he took the car/paperwork to his DLT and they refused to sort it he had to come back to my Province and start it here.

Once done his local place did the rest of the paper work. And changed the plates. One rule doesn't work everywhere in Thailand. Going to Phuket then having to return to BKK would be a real pain in the Butt. Check first.

Edited by fredob43

13 hours ago, bazza73 said:

You can leave the car registered in the same province as you bought it. I bought a vehicle in Bangkok, left the Bangkok plates on it and re-registered it the following year in Chiang Mai. No problem. The only essential is the transfer to your name in the Blue Book.

Right on!

13 hours ago, bazza73 said:

The only problem is that you have to pay the yearly road tax etc. in the province where the car is registered.

That's why one register the car in ones home province but this is not a requirement.

I live in Chonburi Province and had a car which ,for some years, was registered in Bangkok.

No problem.

The only problem is that you have to pay the yearly road tax etc. in the province where the car is registered.

That is not correct....you can pay tax and insurance in any province doesn't matter where the car is registered.

Also as the buyer is foreign he might have trouble convincing the Bangkok DLT to register to him if he doesn't have a Bangkok address (certificate of residence)...if they do let you register and keep the Bangkok plate all well and good please let us know how you get on.

Some places differ as you have stated.
When I sold my Pickup to a friend in a different province, he took the car/paperwork to his DLT and they refused to sort it he had to come back to my Province and start it

You have to go to the main DLT for the province (you want to register in) to initiate a "move of province" the smaller satellite DLT's
often won't do it and some maybe give wrong advice or their advice to goto the main DLT is mis-interpreted.

57 minutes ago, bandito said:

Bought my Dyna 10 years ago in Pattaya - BKK plate. Lived Hua Hin, Phuket, Krabi, Rayong, Udon Thani, CNX. Still has the same BKK plate. Update book and pay road tax every year in different provinces no problem. Never gone to a BKK DLT ever.

Bought a pick-up with Roi Et plates in Surin, we went with the seller to the main DLT in Surin with all the papers, it took a couple a days, went back to DLT in Surin, they changed the plates, and off we went. The good thing with having the plates in your home province, it makes it more easy if you want to sell it again.