Renewing UK passport - most convenient option

Hi All,

I would like to hear peoples thoughts on the most convenient and cheapest method of renewing a UK passport. 

My passport only has a couple of pages remaining and two years validity. I will be changing jobs in Thailand in the summer and will also be returning to the UK for a short visit. As I see it at the moment I have two options;

1). Renew my passport in Thailand, fly to  neighbouring country to get a new Non-B 

2). Spend a day in Liverpool renewing my passport, obtain a either a Non-B or tourist visa (to be converted to a Non-B later) from the Thai embassy UK. 

I am not sure of the procedure for adding my current visa (Non-B) to the new passport, how is this done?

Thanks

Edited by Longbow212

If you have a valid non-b visa from an embassy or consulate in your old passport you would use both passports on entry to the country. Visas cannot be transferred.

Immigration will transfer an extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon working issued by them to a new passport.

I would say 1 or 2 would be good options.

Two would be better option if you have the required supporting documents to get a non-b visa while in the UK.

I have just applied to renew my UK passport inThailand. I submitted my application personally at the office in the Trendy Office Building. This involved a five hour drive from my home in Nakhon Ratchasima province for my appointment which took less than 10 minutes. That was on April 3rd and I have already received tracking information from DHL but delivery (to the Trendy Office building) has been delayed by Songkran and is scheduled for 17th April after which I can pick it up. I think that is quite quick but I had considered using a visa agency to save myself two trips to Bangkok but decided against it in the end and saved the cost of 5,000 baht. Provided you have all of the required documentation and correct photos you can pay by debit or credit card. My non-O multi entry visa will expire on May 5th but I have already done a border run to give me until the end of June to renew my visa in Savannakhet. 

I am planning a trip to Kanchanaburi in about ten days time so a slight detour into Bangkok and I will have my new passport. If you live in or near Bangkok then passport renewal will be a lot easier for you. 

• Like 2

I have a very similar situation, so I hope it's OK to ask here, rather than start up a new thread.

I have UK passport with a 12-month extension based on retirement + a multi-reentry visa. My passport is nearly full but still has a couple years validity. I also have Australian citizenship and plan on spending some time in Australia later this year. If I renewed my UK passport while in Australia, my current UK passport will be cancelled. So what happens regarding my retirement extension + re-entry?

15 minutes ago, TSF said:

I have a very similar situation, so I hope it's OK to ask here, rather than start up a new thread.

I have UK passport with a 12-month extension based on retirement + a multi-reentry visa. My passport is nearly full but still has a couple years validity. I also have Australian citizenship and plan on spending some time in Australia later this year. If I renewed my UK passport while in Australia, my current UK passport will be cancelled. So what happens regarding my retirement extension + re-entry?

You extension and re-entry permit will still be valid after your passport is canceled. You use both passports on entry here to use your re-entry permit in the old passport and then you will stamped into the country in the new one.

You will then need to go to immigration to have your stamps transferred to your new passport.

• Like 2

I renewed my passport in Bangkok in 2014 and I had to get a letter from the UK embassy to request that the Thai immigration transfer my visa extension from the old to the new passport. Is this still the case? I have to renew again in July as my passport is now full - at least I shouldn't have a 60 day wait like last time!

I did ask on another thread about Chiang Mai immigration processing of non-B extension whether it was still done at the airport or at the razzle dazzle all stop Promenade Platz. I don't live in Chiang Mai so I am trying to save time by going to the right location the first time. I have to do my extension in Chiang Mai as my WP is issued from there and my local immigration officer can't process the extension. Any help please . . . 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nealthewheel said:

I renewed my passport in Bangkok in 2014 and I had to get a letter from the UK embassy to request that the Thai immigration transfer my visa extension from the old to the new passport. Is this still the case? I have to renew again in July as my passport is now full - at least I shouldn't have a 60 day wait like last time!

I did ask on another thread about Chiang Mai immigration processing of non-B extension whether it was still done at the airport or at the razzle dazzle all stop Promenade Platz. I don't live in Chiang Mai so I am trying to save time by going to the right location the first time. I have to do my extension in Chiang Mai as my WP is issued from there and my local immigration officer can't process the extension. Any help please . . . 

You have to have the stamps transferred at the immigration office that issued your extension of stay (not a visa). If that is Chiang Mai you will do it at the Promenade office. The other office is closed at this time.

• Like 1

Gosh joe you are on the ball - thanks for speedy reply and it saves me a load of time other than going for the early queue time! Yes, last time I did have to transfer my extension stamps at the office that issued it to me  (CM) - so you cannot do it in BKK once you obtain your letter from the UK embassy. 

4 minutes ago, nealthewheel said:

Gosh joe you are on the ball - thanks for speedy reply and it saves me a load of time other than going for the early queue time! Yes, last time I did have to transfer my extension stamps at the office that issued it to me  (CM) - so you cannot do it in BKK once you obtain your letter from the UK embassy. 

You cannot have the stamps transferred in Bangkok. It has to be done in Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nealthewheel said:

When recently renewing my one year retirement visa extension at the Nakhonratchsima immigration the officer said your passport runs out soon I said yes I'm about to renew it in Bangkok, she said don't forget to get a letter from your Embassy so we can move it to your new passport, I thought the British Consulate/Embassy in Wireless rd was closing down, or can I ask for the letter after receiving my new passport at the same office.

2 minutes ago, eddysmit said:

I thought the British Consulate/Embassy in Wireless rd was closing down, or can I ask for the letter after receiving my new passport at the same office.

The UK embassy is certainly not closing down. They are only selling part of the land they have.

They should give you the letter when you pickup your passport at VFS.

21 hours ago, OJAS said:

The most you can hope for from the Liverpool Consulate is a single-entry non-B. And, since this will need to be approved by the Thai Embassy in London, 2 trips to the Consulate will be required:-

http://www.royalthaiconsul.com/visas.htm

You can send all your documents by email to the Liverpool Consulate then you only have to go one time to have visa stamped and put in your passport I did this with a Multi entry O visa don't know if it's the same with a B. It's worth giving her a phone call at the Liverpool Consulate she is very helpful :-)