Cash requirement clarification.

Hi,

I have read many times on various different posts on here that it is recommended to have 20,000 baht cash to hand, should you be asked to show funds when passing through immigration on a Visa Exempt entry. However on the Royal Thai Embassy website in London it states that you require 10,000 baht per person, or 20,000 baht per family.

Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category must show the documents below at the port of entry: 

• Proof of adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand i.e. traveller’s cheque or cash equivalent to 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family.
  • Proof of onward travel (confirmed air, train, bus or boat tickets) to leave Thailand within 30 days of the arrival date (**otherwise a tourist visa must be obtained).

As you can see it also says "traveller's cheque or cash equivalent to".....

So my 2 questions are, is it 10k or 20k per person ?, and can it be a sterling equivalent amount as the website states ?.....

Thanks in advance....

The official rule is 10,000 for a Visa Exempt and 20,000 for a visa-entry for 60 or 90 days.  It should be OK in any convertible currency.  I carry Travelers Checks, which are purportedly acceptable, though have never been forced to show cash, so cannot say definitively from personal experience. 

Even if I had done it, that experience might only apply to that one IO on that one day at that one checkpoint - there is no consistency with what is asked for, what is acceptable, etc.  All we can do is go by the "real" rules, and hope for the best. 

3 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

The official rule is 10,000 for a Visa Exempt and 20,000 for a visa-entry for 60 or 90 days.  It should be OK in any convertible currency.  I carry Travelers Checks, which are purportedly acceptable, though have never been forced to show cash, so cannot say definitively from personal experience. 

Even if I had done it, that experience might only apply to that one IO on that one day at that one checkpoint - there is no consistency with what is asked for, what is acceptable, etc.  All we can do is go by the "real" rules, and hope for the best. 

Understood, many thanks for the reply....cheers.

How would anybody here know any better than the Thai Embassy ? I have never been asked to show any cash and I have been visiting Thailand legitimately for over thirty years. if you think that there is no reason that an officer at the airport would want to find a reason to make things difficult for you then take 10000 Bt.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

How would anybody here know any better than the Thai Embassy ? I have never been asked to show any cash and I have been visiting Thailand legitimately for over thirty years. if you think that there is no reason that an officer at the airport would want to find a reason to make things difficult for you then take 10000 Bt.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

.....just trying to clarify, because many posts say 20k when the Embassy says 10k....  

the Embassy claims:

• Proof of onward travel (confirmed air, train, bus or boat tickets) to leave Thailand within 30 days of the arrival date (**otherwise a tourist visa must be obtained).

How can they demand this ?  You can extend a Visa-exempt entry at any immigration office inside the country for another 30 days, allowing you 60 days in the country on Visa-Exempt.  I would have thought they allow your to show a ticket out of the country WITHIN THESE 60 days, not 30 days.

18 minutes ago, crazygreg44 said:

the Embassy claims:

How can they demand this ?  You can extend a Visa-exempt entry at any immigration office inside the country for another 30 days, allowing you 60 days in the country on Visa-Exempt.  I would have thought they allow your to show a ticket out of the country WITHIN THESE 60 days, not 30 days.

There IS a rule saying you must have evidence of the ability to fund one's time in the Kingdom - hence where that 10K / 20K rule originates.  I am not sure what the underlying basis for this "show a ticket" rule comes from, other than the fact that Visa-Exempts are a special type of visa for which denial can be more easily applied. 

Some have reported showing a ticket upon questioning and getting in, so it cannot hurt.  As to the 30/60 day timeframe - do remember this is in the context of an IO attempting To Deny Entry because of a rejection-quota, or having bad-day, or sick power-trip, or whatever  - not trying to actually ascertain whether one is a "good or bad guy."  If they are looking for an excuse, they can 'say' it needs to be within 30-days, and the potential for an extension doesn't count, or some other thing made-up on the spot.

Edited by JackThompson

2 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

the Embassy claims:

Because, although you can apply, there is no right that the application has to be accepted or the extension granted. You are only granted permission to stay for 30 days and need to supply a ticket out within that timescale.

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

I am not sure what the underlying basis for this "show a ticket" rule comes from, other than the fact that Visa-Exempts are a special type of visa for which denial can be more easily applied. 

To demonstrate the person is a tourist and intends on leaving. Most tourists have return/onward flights, whereas, most people working and or living in the country as a 'tourist' don't.

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

To demonstrate the person is a tourist and intends on leaving. Most tourists have return/onward flights, whereas, most people working and or living in the country as a 'tourist' don't.

I meant basis in a law or published-declaration.  Any "bad guy" would be sure to have such a thing pre-purchased as part of their cover.  Honest people might have flexible schedules.