Palestinian fatally stabs British woman on Jerusalem train

rooster59

Palestinian fatally stabs British woman on Jerusalem train

By Ori Lewis

british women.PNG

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - A Palestinian man fatally stabbed a British student on Jerusalem's transit network on Friday, Israeli police said.

Israel's ambassador to Britain, Mark Regev, named the victim as Hannah Bladon on his Twitter account, adding that she was "murdered in a senseless act of terror."

The incident occurred in a train carriage on the light rail network near the walled Old City. TV footage showed blood on the floor of the carriage with police officers restraining a man and carrying him away.

A paramedic for the Magen David Adom ambulance service said the woman had suffered multiple stab wounds and was pronounced dead in hospital.

The British Foreign Office in London said in a statement: "We can confirm the tragic death of a British national in Jerusalem. We are providing support for her family at this difficult time and are in touch with the local authorities."

Israeli media said Bladon was a 21-year-old exchange student studying at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem. Israeli police earlier said she was 25. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu sent condolences in a statement issued by his office.

The Shin Bet domestic security service identified the assailant as 57-year-old Jamil Tamimi and said he was a Palestinian from Arab East Jerusalem with mental health problems who was convicted in 2011 for sexually assaulting his daughter.

"This is one of many instances where a Palestinian suffering personal strife ... chooses to carry out an attack in order to find release for his problems," the Shin Bet statement said.

It added that the assailant had previously tried to commit suicide by attempting to swallow a razor blade.

The attack occurred as Christians marked Good Friday and Muslims held prayers at respective holy sites nearby.

Friday is sometimes a day of heightened tensions in Jerusalem's Old City when tens of thousands of Muslim worshippers come to pray at the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound.

On Good Friday each year, Christians hold a procession along the Via Dolorosa in the Old City, retracing what they believe was the route that Jesus took to his crucifixion.

A wave of street attacks by Palestinians in Israel, Jerusalem and the Israeli-occupied West Bank since October 2015 has previously killed 37 Israelis and two American tourists. At least 242 Palestinians have died during the period of sporadic violence.

Israel says at least 162 of the Palestinians killed had launched stabbing, shooting or car ramming attacks. Others died during clashes and protests.

Israel has accused the Palestinian leadership of inciting the violence. The Palestinian Authority, which exercises limited self-rule in the West Bank, denies incitement and charges that in many cases, Israel has used excessive force in thwarting attackers armed with rudimentary weapons.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-04-15

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

And she wasn't even Jewish, and that's how blind hatred works, kill anyone and anybody, no matter who is the victim, and those are people that Israel has to put up with on a daily bases.....

As the OP and the Jerusalem police chief state, the attacker was very mentally disturbed.

'Police say the suspect, a resident of Ras al-Amud in east Jerusalem, was recently released from a psychiatric hospital.
Jerusalem police chief Yoram Halevy told the AFP news agency that the man was "very mentally disturbed".'

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-39601337

If there is any blind hatred, it is yours, trying to score a few cheap political points out of this tragedy.

1 hour ago, dexterm said:

As the OP and the Jerusalem police chief state, the attacker was very mentally disturbed.

'Police say the suspect, a resident of Ras al-Amud in east Jerusalem, was recently released from a psychiatric hospital.
Jerusalem police chief Yoram Halevy told the AFP news agency that the man was "very mentally disturbed".'

If there is any blind hatred, it is yours, trying to score a few cheap political points out of this tragedy.

In my opinion, all Palestinians are mentally disturbed.

Attacking Israelians and now non-Israelians of the Jewish and Christian fate on a daily basis.  I never read about an Israelian knifing a Palestinian just for being a Palestinian.  It's always the other way around.

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

And she wasn't even Jewish, and that's how blind hatred works, kill anyone and anybody, no matter who is the victim, and those are people that Israel has to put up with on a daily bases.....

Another Islam driven murder.

On the article, Christians have a religious thing, Muslims have their religious thing.

But not mentioned is the Jewish Passover.

Nearly the most important religious time for Jews.

But she wasn't even Jewish.

If she would have been it was OK then.

But seen her name, she might be Jewish.

Edited by hansnl

18 minutes ago, bandito said:

Attacking Israelians and now non-Israelians of the Jewish and Christian fate on a daily basis.

I never read about an Israelian knifing a Palestinian just for being a Palestinian.

It's always the other way around.

To disavow yourself of the notion that resistance is a form of insanity and the great hoax that Israelis are the perpetual victims but never the aggressor, I would suggest you Google: youtube Israeli settler violence 
and Google Images: Palestinian children killed.

to understand why Palestinians quite rightly resist 50 years of brutal Israeli occupation. 

The OP incident has nothing to do with the conflict. But I am sure that will not prevent Israeli apologists and Islamophobes from making political capital out of this young woman's tragic death.

Edited by dexterm

2 hours ago, dexterm said:

The lone wolves are mostly mentally ill. So were the one or two most recent Muslim attackers in the U.S.

56 minutes ago, dexterm said:

To disavow yourself of the notion that resistance is a form of insanity and the great hoax that Israelis are the perpetual victims but never the aggressor, I would suggest you Google: youtube Israeli settler violence 

to understand why Palestinians quite rightly resist 50 years of brutal Israeli occupation. 

The OP incident has nothing to do with the conflict. But I am sure that will not prevent Israeli apologists and Islamophobes from making political capital out of this young woman's tragic death.

You can't resist an opportunity to spew your bigoted vilification of  anything  Israeli can you?

Keep your personal agenda out of this.

Yes the alleged assailant was an arab, was previously charged with sexual assault and attempted  incest, was previously diagnosed as mentally ill and had attempted suicide. He received medical treatment at the expense of the state of Israel because the billions of Euros given to the PLA has not been properly used for  health care and social services. Effective mental health care requires community support. The state of Israel cannot provide that support within the  arab community because Israeli social workers and psychological support personnel are not allowed into PLA controlled areas, nor is their safety assured.  The arab community as a whole does not support mental health care in large part because mental illness has a negative stigma and families will deny that it is present. The result is that there is no family support and no provision of mental health support services for the vulnerable.  It is why so many mentally ill arabs are literally dumped by the PLA in Israel. The assailant in this case was  a patient at a northern Israeli facility. 

It is also no secret that terror organizations seek out the mentally ill and impressionable youth, These  mentally vulnerable people are manipulated and encouraged to  undertake  acts of terror.

1 hour ago, bandito said:

Attacking Israelians and now non-Israelians of the Jewish and Christian fate on a daily basis.  I never read about an Israelian knifing a Palestinian just for being a Palestinian.  It's always the other way around.

I'd love to know how many real Palestinians you've met. The ones I've met in Jordan, Syria and Thailand have been wonderful, generous, friendly people. 

35 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

You can't resist an opportunity to spew your bigoted vilification of  anything  Israeli can you?

Keep your personal agenda out of this.

Yes the alleged assailant was an arab, was previously charged with sexual assault and attempted  incest, was previously diagnosed as mentally ill and had attempted suicide. He received medical treatment at the expense of the state of Israel because the billions of Euros given to the PLA has not been properly used for  health care and social services. Effective mental health care requires community support. The state of Israel cannot provide that support within the  arab community because Israeli social workers and psychological support personnel are not allowed into PLA controlled areas, nor is their safety assured.  The arab community as a whole does not support mental health care in large part because mental illness has a negative stigma and families will deny that it is present. The result is that there is no family support and no provision of mental health support services for the vulnerable.  It is why so many mentally ill arabs are literally dumped by the PLA in Israel. The assailant in this case was  a patient at a northern Israeli facility. 

It is also no secret that terror organizations seek out the mentally ill and impressionable youth, These  mentally vulnerable people are manipulated and encouraged to  undertake  acts of terror.

bigoted vilification ??

Read what you have just written.

QED

No-one was dumped anywhere. The OP mentally ill attacker came from illegally Israeli occupied East Jerusalem.  Palestinians would find it very difficult to get a pass from the occupying army to even be in East Jerusalem. Nothing to do with the PA. But spin away. 

As the Occupying Force, Israel has a duty of care over all those occupied

"Art. 56. To the fullest extent of the means available to it, the Occupying Power has the duty of ensuring and maintaining, with the cooperation of national and local authorities, the medical and hospital establishments and services, public health and hygiene in the occupied territory"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_Geneva_Convention#Part_III._Status_and_Treatment_of_Protected_Persons

The OP is simply a very sad instance of a young woman being killed by a deranged man. But that won't prevent the Israeli apologists and Islamophobes on this forum exploiting it in an attempt to turn it into something else.

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

I guess you are not familiar with the Balfour agreement? 

5 hours ago, dexterm said:

I see he wasn`t that mentally disturbed to murder a muslim by mistake.He knew exactly what he was doing.

3 hours ago, dexterm said:

TAT will be all over this. Tourist capital.

7 hours ago, bandito said:

But Bandito you can read about Israelis using guns with and without rubber bullets against Palestinians, or tear gas cannisters to the chest or head at point blank range, or a front end loader, etc against Palestinians and I am just mentioning the ones used on the ground.............................

RIP to the young lady and condolences to her family.

BDS 

10 hours ago, dexterm said:

bigoted vilification ??

Read what you have just written.

QED

No-one was dumped anywhere. The OP mentally ill attacker came from illegally Israeli occupied East Jerusalem.  Palestinians would find it very difficult to get a pass from the occupying army to even be in East Jerusalem. Nothing to do with the PA. But spin away. 

As the Occupying Force, Israel has a duty of care over all those occupied

"Art. 56. To the fullest extent of the means available to it, the Occupying Power has the duty of ensuring and maintaining, with the cooperation of national and local authorities, the medical and hospital establishments and services, public health and hygiene in the occupied territory"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_Geneva_Convention#Part_III._Status_and_Treatment_of_Protected_Persons

The OP is simply a very sad instance of a young woman being killed by a deranged man. But that won't prevent the Israeli apologists and Islamophobes on this forum exploiting it in an attempt to turn it into something else.

You have a habit of making false claims and then pretending  you have not.

Under the Oslo Agreement, health care services were transferred to the PLA. Along with the transfer came an infusion of billions of Euros.  The PLA has stated that it takes responsibility for Arabs in East Jerusalem as well because it considers East Jerusalem to be part of the PLA. The insistence of taking care of its  arabs is intended to support its claim to East Jerusalem.  

Your babble about medical passes and travel is irrelevant. The assailant was being treated at a hospital in Northern Israel. He had assaulted his 11 year old daughter and attempted to rape her, inflicting physical and psychological injury on her.   He could not obtain the  care  from the PLA  ministry of health. It is at that the psychiatric hospital where he swallowed the razor blade in an attempt to kill himself.  The psychiatric hospital could not continue to hold him once his custody order had ended and was obliged to release him because of wait for it, his legal and human rights that had to be respected.

You refuse to accept  the truth.  What part of this is not true? What is spin?

1. Mental health care requires community and family support.

2. Israeli  social workers and  health care workers are blocked from working in arab communities, including PLA administered zones. They are blocked at the request of the PLA, and the local community. More importantly, the personal security of these workers precludes their activity. In plain language, if Israeli mental health workers seek to visit a "client" they are  prevented from doing so. The PLA has stated that it  provides its own health care. It collects money from the international community for this purpose.

Excuses excuses. There are always going to be people who try to make excuses for violence at the hands of Muslims. Oh he wasn't a true muslim, he was mentally unstable, he shot up a gay nightclub because he was secretly a self-hating gay himself yadda yadda yadda and anyone who disagrees with me is an islamaphobe waaaaaah!

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

The world would be much safer if we sent all muzzlims to colomize mars and all jews to colonise uranus. 

That would just leave us with the nort koreans to deal with. 

And what of the mentally infirm who are given to ignorant generalizations? Who are you to decide who lives and dies.  What if we I say that we should remove all the buffoons given to advocating genocide and deportation? Wouldn't you feel uncomfortable as you probably would be one of the first to disappear.  BTW, have a look at  what happened to  Germany and its allies when it  killed off  a portion of its population. It went from one of the leaders of science and enlightened advancement to a country dependent upon others for innovation.   

You are such a brilliant man.

19 hours ago, TEFLKrabi said:

I'd love to know how many real Palestinians you've met. The ones I've met in Jordan, Syria and Thailand have been wonderful, generous, friendly people. 

" wonderfull, generous, friendly people". Tell that to the Israelian Border Guards or the Israelian families whos son or daughter got stabbed to death by this "friendly people".

Or the Israelians who got and get bombed by a missiles.

For your information, I did live in Haifa for some time and was employed on Israelian ships, Zim Lines and Atid Cargo Lines.

21 hours ago, dexterm said:

You are the one who is making political capital out of this, as you call it.

Google also Jewish children killed.

Man, you are really something.

9 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

You have a habit of making false claims and then pretending  you have not.

Under the Oslo Agreement, health care services were transferred to the PLA. Along with the transfer came an infusion of billions of Euros.  The PLA has stated that it takes responsibility for Arabs in East Jerusalem as well because it considers East Jerusalem to be part of the PLA. The insistence of taking care of its  arabs is intended to support its claim to East Jerusalem.  

Your babble about medical passes and travel is irrelevant. The assailant was being treated at a hospital in Northern Israel. He had assaulted his 11 year old daughter and attempted to rape her, inflicting physical and psychological injury on her.   He could not obtain the  care  from the PLA  ministry of health. It is at that the psychiatric hospital where he swallowed the razor blade in an attempt to kill himself.  The psychiatric hospital could not continue to hold him once his custody order had ended and was obliged to release him because of wait for it, his legal and human rights that had to be respected.

You refuse to accept  the truth.  What part of this is not true? What is spin?

1. Mental health care requires community and family support.

2. Israeli  social workers and  health care workers are blocked from working in arab communities, including PLA administered zones. They are blocked at the request of the PLA, and the local community. More importantly, the personal security of these workers precludes their activity. In plain language, if Israeli mental health workers seek to visit a "client" they are  prevented from doing so. The PLA has stated that it  provides its own health care. It collects money from the international community for this purpose.

No links I notice to any of your baloney.

East Jerusalem was effectively annexed by Israel in 1980
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_Law

The PA are not allowed to have any offices there.

The mentally ill killer is a Jerusalem resident. You are trying to spin the OP tragedy as though the PA is somehow responsible for it, plus some tin foil hat conspiracy theory that the deranged man was possibly recruited as a killer.

But according to your logic, and if you want to point the finger at someone it is the Israeli hospital who released him prematurely.

I don't want even to blame the hospital, because I am not a medical expert. I will await the findings of any official investigation, if there is one. 

8 hours ago, Rigby40 said:

Excuses excuses. There are always going to be people who try to make excuses for violence at the hands of Muslims. Oh he wasn't a true muslim, he was mentally unstable, he shot up a gay nightclub because he was secretly a self-hating gay himself yadda yadda yadda and anyone who disagrees with me is an islamaphobe waaaaaah!

No mention of the demented murderer's religion in the OP, and yet we have had 5 posters spewing Islamophobic venom already.

Not sure who is crazier or more hateful.

IMO all racism is a form of insanity.. a manifestation of a severe inferiority complex. Making oneself feel big, by making another human small simply because of their difference.

One day I hope it will be consigned to the trashcan of history.

D

53 minutes ago, dexterm said:

No links I notice to any of your baloney.

East Jerusalem was effectively annexed by Israel in 1980
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_Law

The PA are not allowed to have any offices there.

The mentally ill killer is a Jerusalem resident. You are trying to spin the OP tragedy as though the PA is somehow responsible for it, plus some tin foil hat conspiracy theory that the deranged man was possibly recruited as a killer.

But according to your logic, and if you want to point the finger at someone it is the Israeli hospital who released him prematurely.

I don't want even to blame the hospital, because I am not a medical expert. I will await the findings of any official investigation, if there is one. 

Are you delusional or so obsessed with your "cause" that you must misrepresent facts and  twist them to support your agenda of hatred against Israel?

You claim:  The PA are not allowed to have any offices there.

It doesn't matter if the PA has offices in East Jerusalem or not, because the PA has stated that it is the authority for health care issues of its "people" in in East Jerusalem.

The fact is that the PA does indeed have defacto offices in East Jerusalem because  six (6) hospitals are situated in the zone and are under the auspices of the PA.

East Jerusalem Hospital Network

The six East Jerusalem hospitals have had an historic role in the development of the Palestinian health care system and training of health professionals.  They have been the main providers of tertiary referral care for Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza Strip for health services for which the Ministry of Health is unable to provide, such as cancer care, cardiac and eye surgeries, neonatal intensive care, children’s dialysis and physical rehabilitation of children.  Ministry of Health referrals today represent more than half of inpatient referrals to the East Jerusalem hospitals. The hospitals were organized into the East Jerusalem Hospital Network in 2003.

You demand links. Links to what? It is an established fact.  This isn't a grammar school debate.  It is reality. Are you saying  WHO is  making this up? You want a link, fine. Is  the UN  acceptable to you as a source? 

http://www.emro.who.int/pse/programmes/east-jerusalem-hospital-network-project.html

Oh, it gets better, because the PA who you claim  has no say over  health care in  East Jerusalem has something called the JERUSALEM HEALTH DIRECTORATE. It's mandate is the healthcare of East Jerusalem arabs. If you don't believe me, you can fax them at 02-2790260  or call them at  02-2790262 and ask them yourself.  That's better than a link.

The Palestinian Authority maintains the position that it is the sole authority to act on behalf of  arabs living in the sector of East Jerusalem.The minister of health  has stated this repeatedly. The fact that  the state of Israel pays most of the costs of medical care for the arabs residing in East Jerusalem does not change the PA's position.

The primary mental health care hospital in the PA MOH system is in Bethlehem, just outside of Jerusalem. I expect that the reason the assailant was transferred to Northern Israel was one of health care. The medical systems of the PA and Israel have a decent working relationship and if the PA sent this guy elsewhere it would  have been because he was either  dangerous and/or in need of specialized care. The Bethlehem facility isn't set up to handle violent offenders particularly rapists. 

The PA has situated the  majority of its tertiary health care services in East Jerusalem.

This is also stated in the Document  A64/27 ,  16 May 2011 WHO Secretariat report on  health conditions in the Palestinian zone including east Jerusalem.

The assailant did not just wake up one day and decide he wanted to kill some exchange student from the UK who had come to Israel to study religion, including Islam. (How's that for a poor selection of targets, but I digress.)  He was obviously encouraged and manipulated to do this. The people who  put him up to this are the murderers and their names are not Moishe or Billy Bob or Sven . I'll give you a hint; They probably are closer to Hamed or Abdul.

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

D

Are you delusional or so obsessed with your "cause" that you must misrepresent facts and  twist them to support your agenda of hatred against Israel?

You claim:  The PA are not allowed to have any offices there.

It doesn't matter if the PA has offices in East Jerusalem or not, because the PA has stated that it is the authority for health care issues of its "people" in in East Jerusalem.

The fact is that the PA does indeed have defacto offices in East Jerusalem because  six (6) hospitals are situated in the zone and are under the auspices of the PA.

East Jerusalem Hospital Network

The six East Jerusalem hospitals have had an historic role in the development of the Palestinian health care system and training of health professionals.  They have been the main providers of tertiary referral care for Palestinians in the West Bank and Gaza Strip for health services for which the Ministry of Health is unable to provide, such as cancer care, cardiac and eye surgeries, neonatal intensive care, children’s dialysis and physical rehabilitation of children.  Ministry of Health referrals today represent more than half of inpatient referrals to the East Jerusalem hospitals. The hospitals were organized into the East Jerusalem Hospital Network in 2003.

You demand links. Links to what? It is an established fact.  This isn't a grammar school debate.  It is reality. Are you saying  WHO is  making this up? You want a link, fine. Is  the UN  acceptable to you as a source? 

http://www.emro.who.int/pse/programmes/east-jerusalem-hospital-network-project.html

Oh, it gets better, because the PA who you claim  has no say over  health care in  East Jerusalem has something called the JERUSALEM HEALTH DIRECTORATE. It's mandate is the healthcare of East Jerusalem arabs. If you don't believe me, you can fax them at 02-2790260  or call them at  02-2790262 and ask them yourself.  That's better than a link.

The Palestinian Authority maintains the position that it is the sole authority to act on behalf of  arabs living in the sector of East Jerusalem.The minister of health  has stated this repeatedly. The fact that  the state of Israel pays most of the costs of medical care for the arabs residing in East Jerusalem does not change the PA's position.

The primary mental health care hospital in the PA MOH system is in Bethlehem, just outside of Jerusalem. I expect that the reason the assailant was transferred to Northern Israel was one of health care. The medical systems of the PA and Israel have a decent working relationship and if the PA sent this guy elsewhere it would  have been because he was either  dangerous and/or in need of specialized care. The Bethlehem facility isn't set up to handle violent offenders particularly rapists. 

The PA has situated the  majority of its tertiary health care services in East Jerusalem.

This is also stated in the Document  A64/27 ,  16 May 2011 WHO Secretariat report on  health conditions in the Palestinian zone including east Jerusalem.

The assailant did not just wake up one day and decide he wanted to kill some exchange student from the UK who had come to Israel to study religion, including Islam. (How's that for a poor selection of targets, but I digress.)  He was obviously encouraged and manipulated to do this. The people who  put him up to this are the murderers and their names are not Moishe or Billy Bob or Sven . I'll give you a hint; They probably are closer to Hamed or Abdul.

Perhaps you should dispute the facts with the editor of Haaretz, one of Israel's oldest and respected publications.

"East Jerusalem was annexed to Israel following the 1967 Six-Day War and is not under the jurisdiction of the Palestinian Authority, and Palestinian residents of East Jerusalem receive health coverage from the Israeli public health system." (2015)

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.636228 (well worth a read regarding the way Israel obstructs Palestinian healthcare)

If it costs Israel anything to run health care for Jerusalemite Palestinians, so it should...pretty cheap rent for its land theft and economic exploitation, not withstanding the fact it is part of its duty of care as the Occupier under the Geneva Convention.

Your sole purpose is to demonize Palestinians and Muslims in some way with pedantic and spurious healthcare stats about WHO hospitals for this very sad tragedy, even to the extent of your bizarre claim with racist overtones that some Muslim ("obviously"..you overheard the conspiracy??) recruited and brainwashed the psychotic killer into committing this atrocity.

I would not have responded at all to this thread apart from condolences for the awful loss of a life of this young woman. Until the usual Israeli apologist and Islamophobe brigade climbed aboard to disgorge their prejudices. 

Edited by dexterm

9 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

And what of the mentally infirm who are given to ignorant generalizations? Who are you to decide who lives and dies.  What if we I say that we should remove all the buffoons given to advocating genocide and deportation? Wouldn't you feel uncomfortable as you probably would be one of the first to disappear. 

spiccoli, have you been spliffing again?

who said anything about genocide…..we would make sure these planets are perfectly supportive of human life before hitting the launch button.

19 hours ago, dexterm said:

No mention of the demented murderer's religion in the OP, and yet we have had 5 posters spewing Islamophobic venom already.

Not sure who is crazier or more hateful.

IMO all racism is a form of insanity.. a manifestation of a severe inferiority complex. Making oneself feel big, by making another human small simply because of their difference.

One day I hope it will be consigned to the trashcan of history.

Race and religion aren't the same thing. Sorry.