Violence flares at Australian refugee facility in PNG

rooster59

Violence flares at Australian refugee facility in PNG

By Peter Gosnell

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Violence has flared at an Australian asylum-seeker detention centre in Papua New Guinea (PNG), and shots were fired when local people tried to break into the centre after an argument got out of hand, media and a rights group reported on Saturday.

There were no reports of serious injuries at the centre on Manus island but the trouble is likely to add to pressure on Australia from rights groups and the United Nations to close it and another centre in Nauru, criticised over poor conditions.

Australia's ABC broadcaster said a large number of PNG men tried to break into the detention facility on Friday evening and police fired shots to disperse them.

The men came back with guns and fired up to 100 rounds into the facility's accommodation wing, ABC reported.

Australia's Department of Immigration and Border Protection confirmed in a statement that there had been trouble.

"There was an incident at the Manus RPC overnight involving residents and PNG military personnel," the department said, referring to the so-called regional processing centre.

"PNG military personnel discharged a weapon into the air during the incident. The incident was quickly resolved."

One inmate was reportedly hit in the head by a rock thrown over the fence and was getting treatment, a department spokeswoman said.

She declined to comment on a report two guards had been injured or that shots were fired into the complex. She referred questions to PNG authorities.

PNG officials were not immediately available for comment.

Images posted on social media appeared to show bullet holes in the walls of the camp accommodation wing.

The incident was believed to have been sparked by an altercation between asylum seekers and a PNG resident, the rights group Amnesty International said.

Australia has a strict policy of not allowing anyone who tries to reach the country by boat to settle there, instead detaining them in the Pacific camps, where asylum claims processing can take years. Even if people are found to be genuine refugees, they are barred from Australia.

The policy has drawn criticism from the United Nations and rights organisations amid a global debate on how to manage people displaced by conflict.

Many of the people trying to reach Australia have been from the Middle East and Afghanistan.

Attempts in recent years to resettle some of them in Cambodia and Malaysia collapsed.

The PNG Supreme Court last year ruled that the detention of asylum seekers on Manus breached the constitution and ordered that the camp be closed.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-04-15

30 minutes ago, maoro2013 said:

Where would the so called rights groups want these people to be sent I wonder and whose rights are they supporting? Certainly not Australians rights.

These groups don't actually have an answer I would surmise.

PNG government has instructed the Oz government to remove the refugees from their territory as the PNG Supreme Court has ruled the ongoing detention of the vetted refugees is contrary to their Human Rights. There have been a number of prior reports that to be resettled in PNG is unsafe for them, just as it is for expats who have to live in secure compounds. At the moment those positively vetted are undergoing a repeat vetting process with US authorities who have agreed to resettle them in the US with a quid per pro for Oz to accept Central American refugees originally trying to enter the US to escape gang violence. 

Worldwide there are extremely limited offered resettlement places available for positively vetted refugees. A lot less now the Trump Administration decision to reduce their annual refugee intake from 100k p.a. to 50k p.a.  Before you carry on about Muslims there are millions, of non Muslims seeking asylum or as refugees stuck in camps for years on end. e.g. one million plus Christians from the conflict in Eastern Ukraine.

Edited by simple1

4 hours ago, Wallander4 said:

Should do this in Europe - maybe Svalbard or Greenland

greenland be best lots of space..so rescue them on mediteranian sea and bring them straight to greenland ..there it can be checked if they have right to enter.. europe...the aussies know how to handle problem people

As the article says : Many of the people trying to reach Australia have been from the Middle East and Afghanistan.

I don't see Saudi Arabia, Algeria, UAE, Libya, Egypt etc. ......  opening their doors, so why is Aus a big attraction.  Having worked and lived in most of those coutries, and PNG I might add (in which I managed to play up like a second hand lawnmower!) I never felt any problems either in the bush or in Moresby, not saying there were none but just be aware of your surroundings.

I have to ask my self why Islamic coutries are not taking their share of so called refugees, why is it all Europe or Australia and New Zealand?

11 hours ago, RigPig said:

As the article says : Many of the people trying to reach Australia have been from the Middle East and Afghanistan.

I don't see Saudi Arabia, Algeria, UAE, Libya, Egypt etc. ......  opening their doors, so why is Aus a big attraction.  Having worked and lived in most of those coutries, and PNG I might add (in which I managed to play up like a second hand lawnmower!) I never felt any problems either in the bush or in Moresby, not saying there were none but just be aware of your surroundings.

I have to ask my self why Islamic coutries are not taking their share of so called refugees, why is it all Europe or Australia and New Zealand?

You have posted in a number of refugee related. The comments you raise above have been repeatedly anawsered with the facts concerning refugee intake by countries such as KSA so why keep on keeping on with issues which have been responded to repeatedly. As you claim familiarity with the countries you mention, such as Libya, why on earth do you include them as suitable host countries for refugees - absolute nonsense given the prior, current and ongoing oppression in these countries.

To compare yourself as a well paid contracted professional to asylum seekers / refugee experiences is IMO ridiculous.

Edited by simple1

They receive meals, accom, medical, schooling and any other general services ..

ALL FREE ........

If they don't like the place then go home  !!!

BUT .....  YOU WILL NEVER GET INTO AUSTRALIA  ..... NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU COMPLAIN.

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

ALL FREE ........

BUT .....  YOU WILL NEVER GET INTO AUSTRALIA  ..... NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU COMPLAIN.

As Australia has detained them it is Oz government obligation to get them resettled after they have been vetted as genuine.  As they are vetted genuine refugees (met the criteria) how do you propose they can safely "return home". 

BTW no need for the CAPS.

Edited by simple1

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

ALL FREE ........

As they have been told, they are free to leave and go anywhere they like except Australia.  The tax payer will even pay the costs, they were even offered cash incentives to leave awhile back but they have chosen to stay and cry poor poor pitiful me.  They protest, riot and demand to be let into Australia and all the leftard nut jobs far for thier scam.  They voluntarily stay and claim they are imprisoned which is utter lies

6 minutes ago, Thechook said:

As they have been told, they are free to leave and go anywhere they like except Australia.  The tax payer will even pay the costs, they were even offered cash incentives to leave awhile back but they have chosen to stay and cry poor poor pitiful me.  They protest, riot and demand to be let into Australia and all the leftard nut jobs far for thier scam.  They voluntarily stay and claim they are imprisoned which is utter lies

One can only assume you're ignorant regards refugee Freedom of Movement or posting knowingly false information.

Try comprehending the OP, the refugees were attacked by locals.

26 minutes ago, simple1 said:

One can only assume you're ignorant regards refugee Freedom of Movement or posting knowingly false information.

They weren't attacked by locals, this has been shown to be rubbish and a huge beat up to garnish sympathy and get into Australia. The PNG military discharged a single weapon firing a warning shot after the asylum seekers starting fighting over a soccer match.

47 minutes ago, simple1 said:

They were not attacked by locals.  The were fighting over a disagreement over football.

The PNG  authorities discharged several shots into the air to bring the situation under control.

Please don't fall into that lie syndrome that the alleged refugees attempt continuously, it doesn't work as most folks are sick of it and have woken up to the country shopping plight of these people.

It's unfortunate that they come from disfunctional countries ... however if I was them, I would have accepted the cash and returned home ...

Edited by steven100

10 minutes ago, steven100 said:

They were not attacked by locals.  The were fighting over a disagreement over football.

The PNG  authorities discharged several shots into the air to bring the situation under control.

Please don't fall into that lie syndrome that the alleged refugees attempt continuously, it doesn't work as most folks are sick of it and have woken up to the country shopping plight of these people.

It's unfortunate that they come from disfunctional countries ... however if I was them, I would have accepted the cash and returned home ...

Ok if this info in factual, but IMO ultimately "so what" as they will not be permitted entry to Oz. Still think all this stuff is peculiar as to this day more asylum seekers arrive by air & then claim refugee status, than those by sea.

As I mentioned as those detained offshore have mostly been assessed as genuine refugees (a higher percentage than those who arrive by air)  I seriously doubt they could return home safely, especially when one takes into account the actions of the regimes to date against dissidents or those of unaccepted religious groups etc etc 

10 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Ok if this info in factual, but IMO ultimately "so what" as they will not be permitted entry to Oz. Still think all this stuff is peculiar as to this day more asylum seekers arrive by air & then claim refugee status, than those by sea.

As I mentioned as those detained offshore have mostly been assessed as genuine refugees (a higher percentage than those who arrive by air)  I seriously doubt they could return home safely, especially when one takes into account the actions of the regimes to date against dissidents or those of unaccepted religious groups etc etc 

I hear ya ...... anyway, doesn't matter what we agree or disagree on, the powers to be make the moves so ours are only opinions in the end.

21 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

And I  ask myself  why is  it  that  Australia is  maintaining a  detention  center  in a  country  that is  not it's own  even  after  that country  has  made  repeated  requests  for  it  to be  removed?

Well Dumb as they come, it's simple really. YOU'RE not coming in, period!!  The PNG government did the deal, ask why!!!

22 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

And I  ask myself  why is  it  that  Australia is  maintaining a  detention  center  in a  country  that is  not it's own  even  after  that country  has  made  repeated  requests  for  it  to be  removed?

It's simple really, Dumb as they come, YOU ARE NOT GETTING INTO AUSTRALIA via the back door, period!!  The PNG govt. took the deal, stick by it!!

I spent most of my life in Aus, all my kids and grandkids are still here, I was stupid enough not to get naturalised and now I can only return on a visit visa.....

Cuts both ways, no bias!!

1 hour ago, RigPig said:

It's simple really, Dumb as they come, YOU ARE NOT GETTING INTO AUSTRALIA via the back door, period!!  The PNG govt. took the deal, stick by it!!

I spent most of my life in Aus, all my kids and grandkids are still here, I was stupid enough not to get naturalised and now I can only return on a visit visa.....

I  am not offering  an opinion  about  backdoor entry  to  anywhere.

I am plainly  asking  how is  that  Australia continues  to  presume  a right to  continue  occupation  of  a territory to  maintain a  detention centre  in its  own  specific  interest  while  ignoring  the  request from the  legitimate  Government of  that  territory  to  f  off.

Has   the  Australian  regime  now  fully  adopted  the  mentality  of  the  USA ? 

1 hour ago, RigPig said:

PNG took a  deal with  no limit? 

6 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I am plainly  asking  how is  that  Australia continues  to  presume  a right to  continue  occupation  of  a territory to  maintain a  detention centre  in its  own  specific  interest  while  ignoring  the  request from the  legitimate  Government of  that  territory  to  f  off.

Has   the  Australian  regime  now  fully  adopted  the  mentality  of  the  USA ? 

Believe current situation is those in PNG will be removed by October, likely sent to Nauru.

Edited by simple1

On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 6:27 PM, RigPig said:

Government handouts, all the freebies that none of the countries you mentioned, offer.  Check out the European countries, the ones who also have government handouts. then you will have your answer. :wai: 

15 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Do you think the PNG govt. did this for nothing?  Of course not, they didn't have to take the deal, but they did!  So now it isn't convenient?  Well I guess someone thought the "assylum" seekers would take the pay off offered them and go home or elsewhere.  Unfortunately the rewards of living in Aus are higher than those offered in Saudi Arabia, maybe not all but most of them are Muslim, and are on a mission to convert the rest of the world haha!

1 hour ago, RigPig said:

Do you think the PNG govt. did this for nothing?  Of course not, they didn't have to take the deal, but they did!  So now it isn't convenient?  Well I guess someone thought the "assylum" seekers would take the pay off offered them and go home or elsewhere.  Unfortunately the rewards of living in Aus are higher than those offered in Saudi Arabia, maybe not all but most of them are Muslim, and are on a mission to convert the rest of the world haha!

Blah, blah. The PNG Supreme Court ruled the refugees had to be removed as their detention was contrary to the PNG Constitution, a valid legal process in a democracy.

http://playfair.com.au/png-supreme-court-rules/