Backpackers in Fisherman Trousers!

baneko

I do recall as a backpacker in the '70's seeing those fishermans pants for sale and thinking how impractical they were. No pockets for a start, and trying to remove them over a squat toilet after a Thai curry would be to late.

I prefered "tie-ups", now called beach pants. For a few baht I could get pockets sewn inside and out.

images-2.jpg

Edited by sipi
grammar error

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The silly thing is, Thai fishermen dont wear fisherman's pants, they wear jeans and a Buriam united football tshirt. Its a bit like going to germany and wearing Lederhosen ( leather shorts).

Edited by Peterw42

When I was doing a lot of travelling I had long cargo trousers, plenty of pockets but the best bit was a zip above the knee and they would convert into shorts. Best of both worlds in one trousers.

download.jpg

They're light, airy, easily washed and dry very quickly. Practical for  a backpacker.

I wouldn't wear them when going out, but I do when at home because they are so comfortable.

So do you also laugh at and ridicule all the Thais that wear them?

When people dont have a strong identity they try to blend in whichever environment they are in. When in Thailand they wear fishermans trouses and dont bath for weeks. The only problem is percentage wise very few Thais wear these clothes and Thais in general shower often. The wife and I have a saying, they are trying to be more Thai than Thais themselves. But if it makes them happy so be it.

"watch and laugh at the backpackers".

"walking about like tramps".

The OP is another sad person on this forum who judges books by their covers from his higher than high and mighty pedestal, and cannot fathom that not all of humanity wants to be, or look like him.

Get a Life...

8 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Yes your right of course. Reading poster number 4 reminds me that I worked with a guy whom I asked what his goals in life were. He said to raise enough money to go travelling and I of course because of the times almost fell over as to me at the time life was a job a wife and kids and a house. It is what we were taught at the time. Yes life worked out OK for me with this plan but I from time to time wistfully think back to this guy and the adventures he must have experienced. 

This might be part of the problem.  A lot of people see others with opportunities they wish they could've had.

My mom tells me often how much she envies me.  Not in a mean or critical way, but sometimes she'll tell me how much she regrets growing up in a world where even wearing pants or lipstick for a woman was highly frowned upon... she admires that now people can dye their hair fun colors if they want, choose to live their life before they get married/have kids (and choose whether to get married/have kids at all), etc. because she would've loved to do it.  Someday I might tell someone young that I envy them as well (and yeah, sometimes I envy backpackers.  I never had the money to go traveling around the world when I was that age and not tied down by a job-- nor the choice to not be tied down by a job, for that matter-- but I would've loved to do it).

6 hours ago, sipi said:

I do recall as a backpacker in the '70's seeing those fishermans pants for sale and thinking how impractical they were. No pockets for a start, and trying to remove them over a squat toilet after a Thai curry would be to late.

I prefered "tie-ups", now called beach pants. For a few baht I could get pockets sewn inside and out.

And these days you can get scrub pants in many different styles and with all the pockets you want (and practical ones you can actually put things in because that's what they're actually for).  Hell, these days some of the styles-- at least the ones meant for women, not sure about the men's-- look like regular pants anyway and you wouldn't even have to go around looking like you escaped from your hospital job.  I almost bought a bunch before I came here-- lightweight, comfortable, meant to be washed often and take a beating and I'm sure are easy-care, sometimes slightly shorter in length so as not to drag on hospital floors (or dirty streets...).

1 hour ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

When people dont have a strong identity they try to blend in whichever environment they are in.

Considering that travel advice given to people is often to try to blend in when visiting a foreign country, this is a bit laughable.

Another consideration is: if you are traveling from a country with a climate nothing like Thailand's (I once had to explain to some Thai friends that where I come from, our summer *might* get as hot as Thailand's winter, without the humidity though so it never felt this warm; my natural state there is usually "freezing" and I barely knew the meaning of "sweat"), you might not have clothes suitable for a place this warm (or if you do, they may not be suitable to wear here, like shorts and tank tops).  So you might hit the local market and find something cheap.  On top of that, you might also say "hey, if it's traditional, then it's probably clothing that has been historically shown to be practical in this climate" and might feel it's a wise choice.  Especially if, on top of this, you don't realize that these days, it's all sold for tourists and you won't see many actual Thais in it.

Hell, these days, I can't figure out why so much clothing I see sold here seems IMpractical for the climate; makes lightweight cotton harem pants look appealing by comparison (and yes I own a pair, and yes OMG are they comfortable, but no, I don't wear them outside and no, they're not "elephant" printed).  Polyester?  Plastic shoes?  There's no way you'd catch me buying that to wear when it's 36+ and some ridiculous percentage of humidity; might as well put on a garbage bag. 

1 hour ago, Katia said:

This might be part of the problem.  A lot of people see others with opportunities they wish they could've had.

My mom tells me often how much she envies me.  Not in a mean or critical way, but sometimes she'll tell me how much she regrets growing up in a world where even wearing pants or lipstick for a woman was highly frowned upon... she admires that now people can dye their hair fun colors if they want, choose to live their life before they get married/have kids (and choose whether to get married/have kids at all), etc. because she would've loved to do it.  Someday I might tell someone young that I envy them as well (and yeah, sometimes I envy backpackers.  I never had the money to go traveling around the world when I was that age and not tied down by a job-- nor the choice to not be tied down by a job, for that matter-- but I would've loved to do it).

And these days you can get scrub pants in many different styles and with all the pockets you want (and practical ones you can actually put things in because that's what they're actually for).  Hell, these days some of the styles-- at least the ones meant for women, not sure about the men's-- look like regular pants anyway and you wouldn't even have to go around looking like you escaped from your hospital job.  I almost bought a bunch before I came here-- lightweight, comfortable, meant to be washed often and take a beating and I'm sure are easy-care, sometimes slightly shorter in length so as not to drag on hospital floors (or dirty streets...).

Considering that travel advice given to people is often to try to blend in when visiting a foreign country, this is a bit laughable.

Another consideration is: if you are traveling from a country with a climate nothing like Thailand's (I once had to explain to some Thai friends that where I come from, our summer *might* get as hot as Thailand's winter, without the humidity though so it never felt this warm; my natural state there is usually "freezing" and I barely knew the meaning of "sweat"), you might not have clothes suitable for a place this warm (or if you do, they may not be suitable to wear here, like shorts and tank tops).  So you might hit the local market and find something cheap.  On top of that, you might also say "hey, if it's traditional, then it's probably clothing that has been historically shown to be practical in this climate" and might feel it's a wise choice.  Especially if, on top of this, you don't realize that these days, it's all sold for tourists and you won't see many actual Thais in it.

Hell, these days, I can't figure out why so much clothing I see sold here seems IMpractical for the climate; makes lightweight cotton harem pants look appealing by comparison (and yes I own a pair, and yes OMG are they comfortable, but no, I don't wear them outside and no, they're not "elephant" printed).  Polyester?  Plastic shoes?  There's no way you'd catch me buying that to wear when it's 36+ and some ridiculous percentage of humidity; might as well put on a garbage bag. 

They sure came hot and heavy above. Nice to hear the comments of others on this topic well we hijacked it a little. 

On 4/15/2017 at 0:56 PM, rott said:

Yes, I always thought the idea was to blend in a bit, to look as though you belong. But they deliberately look alien, part of some sort of "hey look at me I'm a free-spirited world traveller" mindset.

And do the young ladies still braid their hair??

Yeah and they smell bad too....

11 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

"watch and laugh at the backpackers".

"walking about like tramps".

The OP is another sad person on this forum who judges books by their covers from his higher than high and mighty pedestal, and cannot fathom that not all of humanity wants to be, or look like him.

Get a Life...

Its more like Halloween....555

Just now, 6thST said:

Its more like Halloween....555

46 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

..they always remind me of a baby with a nappie full of poo... 

I love the one's that walk around with no shoe's on! They have no idea the risk they have of picking up worms along their merry way....Hook worms,round worms,heart worms and tape worms.Better out your shoes on!!!

12 hours ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

When people dont have a strong identity they try to blend in whichever environment they are in. When in Thailand they wear fishermans trouses and dont bath for weeks. The only problem is percentage wise very few Thais wear these clothes and Thais in general shower often. The wife and I have a saying, they are trying to be more Thai than Thais themselves. But if it makes them happy so be it.

Yes, thats a great observation. In trying their best to blend in and dress like the locals, they achieve the opposite and end up being the only people in Thailand wearing fisherman pants and tie dye tshirts. Not sure where the dreadlocks fit in , as that was never part of Thai culture.

15 minutes ago, 6thST said:

I love the one's that walk around with no shoe's on! They have no idea the risk they have of picking up worms along their merry way....Hook worms,round worms,heart worms and tape worms.Better out your shoes on!!!

Did you see the photo of backpackers swimming in the flood water on Khao San Rod 2 or 3 months ago?  !!!  Dog paddle in the dog shit!!  Yuk!  

They are really comfy.  I wear them here in Switzerland as pj's in the Winter and i sometimes pop to the shops in them in the Summer.  Not the harem ones, the other ones.  And i have been complemented on them too!!  Sadly, i don't have dreadlocks.

I'm surprised not one of you have put that song on, was it MC Hammer Can't Touch That?  Now, those are extreme harem troosers!!  Shimmery ones.

I agree, some of you have forgotten being young.  I bet your flares and  mullet hairdos were all the rage back then and you thought you were oh so cool and hip!!  Or Magnum shorts....  And the marijuana was cheaper and better.  And its all you hippies fault that Thailand is even on anyones radar as a tropical getaway.   You all arrived before electricity and tarmac and aircon took over!!  The young backpackers nowadays are just doing what others have been doing for decades, enjoying themselves.  Who cares, unless you are over 70, what they wear or eat or drink.  They are just doing their thing.  And if you are offended, look the other way.

But to specifically go to a certain area of Bangkok just to oggle and make fun of young people and their lifestyles is a bit creepy.  I'd like to know what they think looking back at you!!  Sitting there all pompous with your feathers ruffled in disdain!!  Perhaps a tad jealous that you couldn't be so carefree when you were their age?

Oh, and don't come back at me for my post with "i've travelled or lived in all the countries in the World" retort!!  

I don't know about you lot, but when I was of back packer age I was working my knackers off just to keep a roof over my head. I think the bank of mummy and daddy are funding most of these spoiled <deleted> these days. And before you ask... I used to teach scuba diving in phangan years ago so I met a LOT of the posh packers "doing thailand."

They are really comfy.  I wear them here in Switzerland as pj's in the Winter and i sometimes pop to the shops in them in the Summer.  Not the harem ones, the other ones.  And i have been complemented on them too!!  Sadly, i don't have dreadlocks.

I'm surprised not one of you have put that song on, was it MC Hammer Can't Touch That?  Now, those are extreme harem troosers!!  Shimmery ones.

I agree, some of you have forgotten being young.  I bet your flares and  mullet hairdos were all the rage back then and you thought you were oh so cool and hip!!  Or Magnum shorts....  And the marijuana was cheaper and better.  And its all you hippies fault that Thailand is even on anyones radar as a tropical getaway.   You all arrived before electricity and tarmac and aircon took over!!  The young backpackers nowadays are just doing what others have been doing for decades, enjoying themselves.  Who cares, unless you are over 70, what they wear or eat or drink.  They are just doing their thing.  And if you are offended, look the other way.

But to specifically go to a certain area of Bangkok just to oggle and make fun of young people and their lifestyles is a bit creepy.  I'd like to know what they think looking back at you!!  Sitting there all pompous with your feathers ruffled in disdain!!  Perhaps a tad jealous that you couldn't be so carefree when you were their age?

Oh, and don't come back at me for my post with "i've travelled or lived in all the countries in the World" retort!!  

To young for the flares thing. People watching wheather in Soi 4 or Khaosarn is enjoyed by many people. Thats why the bars have seats pointing out. I could be carefree as I liked as I made my own money and travelled. Not with daddys credit card.

I was a backpacker in my time and travelled many places but still never wore daft fisherman trousers and always carried a bar of soap....

7 hours ago, Patsycat said:

At my age I still enjoy wandering down Khao San Road, or more specifically the lanes off KSR and the parallel streets. Was there for songkran year before last with my infant son and some friends. Fun.

Never been to Soi Cowboy or Nana but have heard about them and not interested.

Khao San Road rocks!

On 4/15/2017 at 9:48 PM, rogeroc said:

I simply don't understand why they choose a fashion that makes 99 per cent of them look ridiculous.

They look ridiculous to "you," not them. Meanwhile, you look ridiculous to them.