Help me make Video Doorbell with 2 android phones and Home WiFi

oldcarguy

Hi

I would like to make a "Video Doorbell"  using a couple of Android phones over my WiFi at home ,

the idea is to mount a phone at the front door and when someone comes to the door it activates  and "calls" the other phone,

Then I can see who is there and talk back and forth to them ,  if I am in the back yard etc

I can make a fancy box for the phone at the door so it looks like more than just an old phone ,

Has anyone done this before ????

and extra PLUS would be that it calls my regular Cell phone when I want it to so I can "answer" the door when I am not at home :)

Thanks for your ideas

There is this hardware and software consumer package that's sold in the U.S. AFAIK, though, the hardware and supporting smartphone apps can be used almost anywhere so long as the door location has access to home wifi -- except for a few Middle East countries where it's banned for some strange reason. It's a one time purchase, with no service/monitoring fees.

https://ring.com/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Thanks but I would like to use some of the stuff I already own.....

I do have the important part of the Ring.com set-up which is the security light that turns on when someone triggers it , but not sure if it only works at night or not ?????

IP Webcam may be a good starting point.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pas.webcam&hl=en

Not tried the motion detection, but it's great for looking through those tiny (non-farang sized) loft access panels :smile:

EDIT or maybe this is your solution http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/use-old-smartphone-tablet-security-camera/

There must be many ways to do this.  Instead of a cell phone I would use a Raspberry Pi 3B with a cheap networked video camera and free monitoring software such as zoneminder. 

https://zoneminder.com/

The easiest notification to set up would be by email, but there might be a way to generate a phone call.  Zoneminder gives detailed control of the monitoring with logging and remote viewing, etc.  Day/night cameras are available.

Thanks.....I guess I want everything.......

it would be more of a security camera than really just a video doorbell ,  turns on when triggered at the front gate  and maybe halfway to the house if they bypassed the gate ,

Best would be a Photo Strobe flash just to let them know a picture was taken  , and the photo sent to another smart phone by WiFi and saved ,

Plus it would be nice to be able to talk , YELL , and then trigger alarm if they go somewhere they should not be ,

So much stuff disappears around here and you have no idea  who it is........and even then its better to scare them away before they grab something .....

Or just a BIG dog........or as my friends had in Hawaii  "Guard Geese"  that would chase anyone they did not know......

The Ring company I mentioned above also has a motion detector system that's similar to their door bell system, and provides the same alert to your smartphone and two-way audio-video.

https://ring.com/stickupcam

Smart Surveillance for Every Home

Stick Up Cam sends instant alerts to your smartphone, tablet and PC whenever motion is detected. And with the free Ring app, you can see, hear and speak to anyone on your property from anywhere.

720p HD video

Two-way talk

Motion-activated alerts

Adjustable motion sensors let you focus on your most important areas, while night vision sensors and a weather-resistant design let you protect your property 24/7 – day or night, rain or shine.

Custom motion zones

Infrared night vision

Live View on-demand video and audio

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

That's a really interesting article. I'd never heard of the Salient Eye Android app that they profile there, but it would seem to be very handy.

Main downside is that it appears to only support a local alarm on the phone and sending photo snapshots by email or SMS, but no direct audio or video communication.

The AtHome Camera apps mentioned at the bottom of the article appear to go further in saying they provide video monitoring and two-way communication capability, but the description is a bit vague about whether any kind of audible alarm is triggered at the monitored location once motion is detected.