South Koreans, Mongolians caught up in credit card scam to buy Krabi hotels

rooster59

South Koreans, Mongolians caught up in credit card scam to buy Krabi hotels 

Eakkapop Thongtub

1492249454_1-org.jpg

The gang of five were arrested on Thursday after bank staff became suspicious of the midnight online transactions totalling B60 million. Photos: Krabi Police

PHUKET: Krabi Police have arrested a Thai woman, two South Koreans and two Mongolian nationals for attempting to buy hotels in the tourist-popular Ao Nang area, across Phang Nga Bay from Phuket, with “fake” ATM slips in a bid to prove they had made payments to complete their purchase.

The gang is believed to have entered into deals to buy several hotels in the area for an amount totalling an estimated B5 billion, said police.

The five were arrested on Thursday (April 13) after a warrant was issued by the Krabi Provincial Court.

Police identified those arrested as Thai national Thanakorn Chevitrungrueng, 44; South Koreans Jonj In Lee, 46, and Myoungseok Cho, 49; and Mongolian nationals Ansagan Amamtai, 36, and Jargalnemekh Tsedendamba, 35.

Ms Thanakorn and Mrs Jargalnemekh denied the charges, but the other three confessed, reported police.

The alarm was raised by Bangkok Bank staff in Krabi province after they became suspicious of 65 credit card transactions totalling B60 million were made between 10pm on Monday (April 10) and 1am Tuesday (April 11).

Bank staff became suspicious the next day when they realised the code presented for each of the transactions remained the same, whereas any online transactions are issued a unique code.

Regardless, Ms Thanakorn and Mrs Jargalnemekh maintained the transaction slips were issued by the bank, noted police.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/south-koreans-mongolians-caught-up-in-credit-card-scam-to-buy-krabi-hotels-61792.php#qiP96oQa7dMOTuTL.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-04-16

Buying 5 billion baht hotels using fake credit cards? and who's that

would have worked please pray tell... what, no one would have realizes

in a few hours that those transactions are bogus? how stupid can one

be to even think that such con will ever hold water?....

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Bank staff became suspicious the next day when they realised the code presented for each of the transactions remained the same, whereas any online transactions are issued a unique code.

How does that work? Shouldn't an online transaction be rejected immediately with a "wrong code" error? 

That works out to  1 million withdrawl per ATM Transaction How is that possible

I think this is really bad reporting Just do not understand the reporting 

I thought reporting and writing of news reports would improve with

the partnering on Thai Visa I was wrong.

4 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

That works out to  1 million withdrawl per ATM Transaction How is that possible

I think this is really bad reporting Just do not understand the reporting 

I thought reporting and writing of news reports would improve with

the partnering on Thai Visa I was wrong.

I get your point the government is presently trying to solve the problem by licencing reporters and vetting all news items. The government will in time change all this so that you get nothing but the truth so help them. 

17 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

I get your point the government is presently trying to solve the problem by licencing reporters and vetting all news items. The government will in time change all this so that you get nothing but the truth so help them. 

OH Im so looking forward to the vetting of all news :cheesy:

Archived