Honda Click high fuel use

SyriusB

Just bought a first generation Honda Click for 9000 baht in Phangan. There was an oil leak which I fixed with sealant. Apart from that it starts and runs really well, but the fuel consumption is astronomical.

I drive pretty slowly, but even over short distances can see the fuel gauge going down. 2 litres takes me around 30km!

Any thoughts on how to remedy it?

Check for fuel leaks. If you paid 9K for it, most likely it has never had maintenance. Has a carb ? The fuel hoses from the petcock to the carb are probably old, hard as a rock, and split, leaking fuel. Or the float bowl needle and seat is bad - the fuel fills up the bowl and dumps out the overflow. Do you have any mechanical knowledge at all ? Sounds like you do not - so take it to a shop.

2L for 30km on a click, wow you just broke a world record.

I don't know much about clicks, but were the first generations with carburetors and not injectors ?

Cause if it's a carb ok maybe it was badly tuned by the previous owner + bunch of shit can go wrong in old carbs, but if it's a FI .... !?

I agree re the air filter....it's surprising how that effects fuel efficiency.

And if the bowl flat mechanism is jammed open then yes you should see a puddle of fuel under the bike and smell it..... I had that happen on an old pos Platinum the other day.

What a pain to get to that carburator. But otherwise an easy fix. Cleaned the jets while I was at it. Bike runs heaps better and no lost fuel.  The Platinum is still a p.o.s though.

HEY  !  CMKiwi , us Platinum owners have to stick together.  ( PX 250 on motocross tires ).  Had to remove carb on this one last year due to cheap "jungle" fuel brought from those fuel drums. No choice when in the middle of knowhere.

Mine is just a PX175.  Picked it up from a Brit going home ( on the cheap).  Not sure that was a good thing or not....him going back to Blighty that is!

So damn hard to get parts for the PX. I've already rewired new stitches on both sides of the handlebars. Now they actually do as they should. Not Platinum stuff but aftermarket accessories. 

Give me fuel injection anytime....less hassle and so easy to adjust if you want to get better performance from other mods you may have done.

Carburators are so old school!  But they also played there part. ..

We have had over 120 years to understand carbs.  They serve a purpose for many years  , but FI is more accurate , and it is tuneable to other modifications via a laptop rather than jetting changes. Ive had no problems with my Platinum , which is nearly 5 years old , other than a battery last year and general service items.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the comments. After changing air filter and spark plug which were both minging and checking carb, no change in fuel consumption.

Mechanic suggested the cylinder could be finished and it would be 4500 baht to change. I went for it and after a long time (he loaned me a Dream free of charge), it's done. Old cylinder was rusty. Bike now running beautifully with normal economy!

Glad to hear you're serviced, & good to go.

Must have been smoking/ burning oil too.?

$130 for rebuild is not a lot.

papa had a 150cc redone 

piston, ring, pin, bore

aboot  2600B.

2 hrs.

papa finds cheap motorbike work a huge attraction.

HUGE.

IpHA.

[thought 'minging' meant  'smells bad'.

You sniffed spark plug and filter?]

Archived