How do you get things delivered efficiently in Thailand.

AndyOz

Hi, today I went to Home Pro and ordered some garden furniture for home delivery. I gave my address but was then asked to provide a map to aid the delivery driver. My cartography skills are virtually none existent.

In the end I showed my home location on google maps on my phone. The sales assistant took a photo. On the delivery sheet I also wrote the exact GPS co-ordinates.

I did not leave the shop with a warm fuzzy feeling that my furniture will arrive as planned.

Is there any advice on how getting things delivered can be made easier.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

All you need is route from a main road to house - simple lines labeled with names will do - and have phone number as well as address on the form.  HomePro always requires a map so not an indication of any problem.

All you need is route from a main road to house - simple lines labeled with names will do - and have phone number as well as address on the form.  HomePro always requires a map so not an indication of any problem.

Thanks for the comment that this may not be as bad as I thought. I did give my phone number.

I will put some thought into preparing a simple map to and from the main road. It will probably be worth having a couple of copies in the car, just in case needed.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Agree in some places addresses complicate things. The previous place we lived, the numbering was not sequential so it would be a nightmare working by address alone, thats when we adopted the "get near and we'll meet you" tactic, which has proved to be the best answer ever since.

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Agree in some places addresses complicate things. The previous place we lived, the numbering was not sequential so it would be a nightmare working by address alone, thats when we adopted the "get near and we'll meet you" tactic, which has proved to be the best answer ever since.

The numbering not sequential.

Try living here next door 164, opposite side 119, we are 219, how the hell they worked that out is beyond me.

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Try living here next door 164, opposite side 119, we are 219, how the hell they worked that out is beyond me.

If you are building a home you can go see the poo yai bahn and choose your own number !! and thats the problem.

Unlike the Uk (for example)where odd is one side and even the otherside and sequential.

Just now, colinneil said:

Even lucky numbers seem available, stepson lives in an apartment building 999...

And still no online source that goes down to this detail level (as available in other countries).

Post offices seem to have hand drawn maps of their areas and maybe the village headmen.

The widely present Kerry Express (B2C) is also quite good in finding.

Indeed best to give them directions to the next main road crossing and pick them up after phone call.

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

If you are building a home you can go see the poo yai bahn and choose your own number !! and thats the problem.

Unlike the Uk (for example)where odd is one side and even the otherside and sequential.

Charlie that is something i didnt know. Thanks for enlightening me.

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

When anybody is looking for our home, wife tells them ask for bahn farang.

As i am the only farang in this village.

Works for us, despite us now having an address HomePro still have Baan Farang in their computer.

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Dont know if thats the same everywhere Colin, you know how things can vary in Thailand. 

At the least the "random" numbering is the same everywhere I have seen in Thailand.

As far as I know the number is assigned by the land office when the building is (was) registered (as seen in the blue house book).

In the simplest case they would number from 1 onward within the "moo ban" (housing area).

1 Moo 1, 2 Moo 1 ...

But this 999 is obviously handpicked.

Maybe auctioned :tongue:

6 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Dont know if thats the same everwhere Colin, you know how things can vary in Thailand. 

It is not true in Bangkok - numbers were assigned in some order as house plots on land plots - so a village on the same ownership land plot (such as 69 would have house numbers and /69 as address.  Unfortunately often little rhyme or reason was involved in assigning these numbers so often not on same street.  Recently there was official change to get numbers in a row - but post office refuses to use so now every house has to display two number sets.  Love it.

Homepro etc overtake us on the way home :shock1:

Lazada too are very good. I returned an unanswered call a few mins ago as we are expecting a delivery. The bloke explained (to wife) that he would pop back between 7 & 8 this evening....

10 Mins later he was at our gate with the first of four inbound packages due between 12 & 26th :smile:

Edited by evadgib

3 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

As far as I know the number is assigned by the land office when the building is (was) registered (as seen in the blue house book).

Or maybe not :smile:

Despite being the last place built in the village of about 50 homes we are number 4.

When we built ours the wife went to see poo yai to get papers signed for registering the home etc for blue book and she was shown a book for our Soi and told to "pick one" and sign next to it.

If they don't ask, tell them a nearby landmark (I live very close to an embassy). Also be sure to give them a phone number, and since most delivery drivers speak only Thai, be sure that there is someone who can give them more precise information in Thai once they get close if needed.

Edited by gjoo888

The very best way is to send them your location using the LINE app. All Thais have it on there

phones, you should have it . Dead simple no confusion. I use this often to guide friends to my

location.  :thumbsup:

19 hours ago, colinneil said:

They use a recursive fractal based Fibonacci algorithm obviously.