Pattaya: Brutal farang vs farang road rage assault caught on camera

Jonathan Fairfield

9 minutes ago, tropo said:

Going by my logic is rather simple and uncomplicated. It should not be used as a reason to start a debate on gun possession.

Don't start fights unless you can defend yourself.

If you go around shouting in other people's faces, sooner or later you'll suffer the same consequences as the victim did here.

This is not about right and wrong... it's about consequences of actions in real life.

The guy wasn't trying to start a fight, from what I saw. He was remonstrating with the passenger about something. Why is that "starting a fight"? Not all people are brainless moronic thugs that beat up on weaker people. Had the passenger stepped out after the car stopped he would have discovered that size doesn't count against a Thai pack.

I saw an instance once rather similar, where a similar farang tried to stop a big farang abusing a gogo dancer. The big guy felled the smaller one, then about 15 little Thai guys appeared out of nowhere and beat the c**p out of the thug. Not a single person helped the thug after they had dealt to him- good job done.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The guy wasn't trying to start a fight, from what I saw. He was remonstrating with the passenger about something. Why is that "starting a fight"? Not all people are brainless moronic thugs that beat up on weaker people. Had the passenger stepped out after the car stopped he would have discovered that size doesn't count against a Thai pack.

It actually started when they both got out of bed........know the rules of the streets, and avoid trouble at all times.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

He was shouting at the driver. That's verbal assault. Do you think he was whispering sweet nothings in the driver's ears? Most fights start out verbally.

Try a little experiment. Go up to strangers and start a verbal tirade and see what happens? Going by your strange logic, that should never end badly.

6 minutes ago, tropo said:

Going by my logic is rather simple and uncomplicated. It should not be used as a reason to start a debate on gun possession.

Don't start fights unless you can defend yourself.

If you go around shouting in other people's faces, sooner or later you'll suffer the same consequences as the victim did here.

This is not about right and wrong... it's about consequences of actions in real life.

As we didnt see the incident we dont really know what caused the reaction.

The wife had a helmet on so possibly the car driver made a movement that endangered his families life and in the moment his anger caused him to confront the guy.

Im sure most people would act the same. Beating somebody up who you are obviously much more powerful than is the sign of a bully. He could of easily pinned the guy down and sent him on his way.

Did the Thai guys help out the guy who got hit because they know what happened maybe?

6 minutes ago, tropo said:

He was shouting at the driver. That's verbal assault. Do you think he was whispering sweet nothings in the driver's ears? Most fights start out verbally.

Try a little experiment. Go up to strangers and start a verbal tirade and see what happens? Going by your strange logic, that should never end badly.

It would depend on what the stranger had done to me as to my actions.

Managed to avoid fighting my whole life, but had some narrow scrapes that I had to do some fast talking to get out of.

I have been sucker punched though, which is why I despise thugs and bullies.

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I doubt the small guy even knew he was so outmatched till the thug got out of the car.

Not sure, I would use the word "small"...."rotund" might actually be more accurate, and by queensbury rules a short fat guy could end up in the ring with a tall lanky one.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It would depend on what the stranger had done to me as to my actions.

Managed to avoid fighting my whole life, but had some narrow scrapes that I had to do some fast talking to get out of.

I have been sucker punched though, which is why I despise thugs and bullies.

He wasn't sucker punched. He had plenty of warning. He should have been on his guard the moment the driver stepped out of the car.

He made the same mistake that Ortiz made in his fight with Mayweather.

5 minutes ago, tazly said:

Not sure, I would use the word "small"...."rotund" might actually be more accurate, and by queensbury rules a short fat guy could end up in the ring with a tall lanky one.

I agree - he probably weighed about the same. There's plenty of real life examples of a fatter guy beating a more muscular one.

11 minutes ago, Mooner said:

As we didnt see the incident we dont really know what caused the reaction.

The wife had a helmet on so possibly the car driver made a movement that endangered his families life and in the moment his anger caused him to confront the guy.

Im sure most people would act the same. Beating somebody up who you are obviously much more powerful than is the sign of a bully. He could of easily pinned the guy down and sent him on his way.

Did the Thai guys help out the guy who got hit because they know what happened maybe?

If I spent my days verbally abusing Thai people for every driving/riding "indiscretion", my life here would be short and miserable.

This happened during Songkran. It's a jungle in Pattaya even on a good day.

On 5/12/2017 at 8:42 AM, Airbagwill said:

Sad to see the acceptance of violence...in any circumstance...that prevails on this thread.

Apportioning blame basically accepts the concept of violence as a solution to civil problems...it also underlines the appalling driving skills of both parties & thus farangs in Thailand

This is not sad at all. He taught the fat guy a lesson he's never going to forget. It could be a life-saving lesson, next time he resists the urge to remonstrate.

3 minutes ago, tropo said:

This is not sad at all. He taught the fat guy a lesson he's never going to forget. It could be a life-saving lesson, next time he resists the urge to remonstrate.

And he got the lesson for free to boot (or even possibly a small cash payment for it)...where do I sign up for these "free" lessons!

8 hours ago, tropo said:

Yes, but if you want to get technical it depends on the law.  In California for instance truly an illegal verbal assault is deemed something called a "terrorist threat".  Saying to someone "I am going to kill you" and under the circumstances appearing to mean it, would be a crime.  Just saying crap to someone or saying it about their gf or family, is not an assault or criminal.

I don't know the law in Thailand.

So, my point is if someone is verbally giving you the business, that is not a platform to retaliate physically.  The first one who initiates physical contact will be considered the "primary aggressor" and will be deemed responsible.

Yes, but if you want to get technical it depends on the law.  In California for instance truly an illegal verbal assault is deemed something called a "terrorist threat".  Saying to someone "I am going to kill you" and under the circumstances appearing to mean it, would be a crime.  Just saying crap to someone or saying it about their gf or family, is not an assault or criminal.

I don't know the law in Thailand.

So, my point is if someone is verbally giving you the business, that is not a platform to retaliate physically.  The first one who initiates physical contact will be considered the "primary aggressor" and will be deemed responsible.

I was not discussing the law but what can happen in a real life situation if you get in someone's face. The law will not save you from a beating.

However, verbal abuse in a public place in Thailand is considered a very serious offense and can result in jail time. I know of one Farang serving a 2 year prison sentence for saying his ex gf is a thief (stole from him). The police don't normally get involved so you have to make the charges through the court.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 hours ago, tropo said:

You know those crime shows on TV aren't  real?

53 minutes ago, tropo said:

I was not discussing the law but what can happen in a real life situation if you get in someone's face. The law will not save you from a beating.

However, verbal abuse in a public place in Thailand is considered a very serious offense and can result in jail time. I know of one Farang serving a 2 year prison sentence for saying his ex gf is a thief (stole from him). The police don't normally get involved so you have to make the charges through the court.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I know you weren't disussing the law. No issues.

Bottom line I guess most men probably want to defend themselves even from verbal attacks.  I know a guys ass I would like to kick because of his mouth but he is the type who would call the cops.  An assault beef or investigation is not something I want to be involved within a foreign country.  The loud mouth aint worth my freedom or visa so as much as it pains me, I just avoid him.

2 hours ago, YetAnother said:

am surprised there isnt more road rage in this place

Made me laugh.  I think the Thais are just use to the roadway chaotic mess this place is.

If you live here especially on a motorbike, you develop a tolerance I think to some of the issues and just try to survive your day.

But it would be interesting if not slightly funny, to put a rookie on a motorbike or driving a car and have them drive through the intersection of Soi Diana and Soi Buakhao 10 times.  Maybe 5 times one way and 5 another.  An audio tape their expletives could be quite amusing.  Heck, an audio of me earlier today was probably amusing.

Anyway, just try to be patient and careful out there.

6 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Made me laugh.  I think the Thais are just use to the roadway chaotic mess this place is.

If you live here especially on a motorbike, you develop a tolerance I think to some of the issues and just try to survive your day.

Try giving someone the finger - you'll see road rage at its finest.

But it's true. Activities that gets the average Farang angry doesn't phase the Thais.

On 14/05/2017 at 3:56 PM, tropo said:

That's suggestion is more than a little odd.

A suggestion to begin a verbal tirade with strangers with no basis, as an experiment? How is that related to what happened in this case?

There was clearly a reason for one of the protagonists to complain.  It wasn't just a madman shouting at someone out of the blue.

So referring to another's post as "strange logic" is like the pot calling the kettle black.

"In real life" people also exercise restraint. You appear to utilise the phrase "in real life" as an excuse for violence.

You appear to revel in the fact someone got hurt for taking a stand, if only verbal, for his family. 

Most odd to suggest that no one should speak up for fear of violence and if ones does, they deserve everything they get.

Yes, we know that some people will misuse their advantage. But that is no more "real life" than the people who don't misuse their advantage.

Your life appears to have made you rather too cynical. I only say that because I've read your posts here and there are a lot of them.

4 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

That's suggestion is more than a little odd.

A suggestion to begin a verbal tirade with strangers with no basis, as an experiment? How is that related to what happened in this case?

There was clearly a reason for one of the protagonists to complain.  It wasn't just a madman shouting at someone out of the blue.

So referring to another's post as "strange logic" is like the pot calling the kettle black.

"In real life" people also exercise restraint. You appear to utilise the phrase "in real life" as an excuse for violence.

You appear to revel in the fact someone got hurt for taking a stand, if only verbal, for his family. 

Most odd to suggest that no one should speak up for fear of violence and if ones does, they deserve everything they get.

Yes, we know that some people will misuse their advantage. But that is no more "real life" than the people who don't misuse their advantage.

Your life appears to have made you rather too cynical. I only say that because I've read your posts here and there are a lot of them.

"your life appears to have made you rather too cynical"> LOL, too cynical for what?

You should try that experiment yourself as you're obviously as naive as the fat guy in this story. Let's hope the person you abuse has more patience and doesn't punch as well as the driver here.

If you feel the need to verbally abuse anyone for whatever righteous reason you think you have, be prepared for the consequences.

You really should try that experiment yourself as you're obviously as naive as the fat guy in this story.

The point that you've still missed is quite simple. I

5 hours ago, tropo said:

"your life appears to have made you rather too cynical"> LOL, too cynical for what?

You should try that experiment yourself as you're obviously as naive as the fat guy in this story. Let's hope the person you abuse has more patience and doesn't punch as well as the driver here.

If you feel the need to verbally abuse anyone for whatever righteous reason you think you have, be prepared for the consequences.

You really should try that experiment yourself as you're obviously as naive as the fat guy in this story.

The point that you've still missed is quite simple. I

??

The suggestion for the odd and completely unrelated 'experiment' came from you.

"Verbally abuse"? You have no idea as to what occurred between the two, unless you are the "thug" in the video. Perhaps that you why you appear so defensive in this particular thread.

Perhaps he asked "What the hell are you doing?" You are putting our lives in danger!" 

Whereas in your mind, he "verbally abused", "squared up for a fight".....

You just appear to just be putting your particular spin on the story and then accusing anyone who disagrees as being naive. 

Seriously.....why it is that you have posted so much more than anyone else in this thread?

I play martial arts to a reasonable degree and I don't resort to violence. Just because I can doesn't mean that I do.

As a fighter, I know that the old dude had no intention of fighting. By his approach and his stances. But that is not the point.

He was also walking away.  

In "real life" anything can happen. If anything ever happens to you, I hope you'll understand when no offers sympathy, but only states "that's what happens in real life".

Anyway.,enough. Time to invoke Proverbs 26:4

1 hour ago, KneeDeep said:

??

"Verbally abuse"? You have no idea as to what occurred between the two, unless you are the "thug" in the video. Perhaps that you why you appear so defensive in this particular thread.

Perhaps he asked "What the hell are you doing?" You are putting our lives in danger!" 

You just appear to just be putting your particular spin on the story and then accusing anyone who disagrees as being naive. 

Seriously.....why it is that you have posted so much more than anyone else in this thread?

I play martial arts to a reasonable degree and I don't resort to violence. Just because I can doesn't mean that I do.

As a fighter, I know that the old dude had no intention of fighting. By his approach and his stances. But that is not the point.

In "real life" anything can happen. If anything ever happens to you, I hope you'll understand when no offers sympathy, but only states "that's what happens in real life".

I personally find someone saying,  "What the hell are you doing?" to be extremely offensive.

if you knew anything abt martial arts, you would not call yourself a "fighter" and you would not claim, "I know that the old dude had no intention of fighting. By his approach and his stances."  Do you think in the real world people square off in "stances"...boy you better go see sensei for some advanced strategy...the fat guy might have been just about to launch into a massive attack and be camouflaging it.......even militaries rarely engage in set piece battles these days!

now go try to snatch the pebble grasshopper...and give my 500 one armed push-ups!

3 minutes ago, tazly said:

I personally find someone saying,  "What the hell are you doing?" to be extremely offensive.

if you knew anything abt martial arts, you would not call yourself a "fighter" and you would not claim, "I know that the old dude had no intention of fighting. By his approach and his stances."  Do you think in the real world people square off in "stances"...boy you better go see sensei for some advanced strategy...the fat guy might have been just about to launch into a massive attack and be camouflaging it.......even militaries rarely engage in set piece battles these days!

now go try to snatch the pebble grasshopper...and give my 500 one armed push-ups!

Only one reply to you. 

I play martial arts, but I also fight. I could written have play fight. But that likely would confuse. Seems I attracted pedants anyway.

Your post is just nonsense gleaned from watching too many movies.

Back to Proverbs 26:4. 

6 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

??

1. "Seriously.....why it is that you have posted so much more than anyone else in this thread?"

Seriously? You read all my posts in this thread? Well done! I took over 2 weeks off until someone made a reply to an old post. If it bothers you, take a break yourself. If you keep replying on a similar note, expect to read more.

2. "The suggestion for the odd and completely unrelated 'experiment' came from you."

LOL> It was merely a way to illustrate a point. I didn't expect anyone would be stupid enough to take up the offer, let alone suggest it was an actual offer.  

3. "In "real life" anything can happen. If anything ever happens to you, I hope you'll understand when no offers sympathy, but only states "that's what happens in real life"."

As I don't go around abusing strangers in public, I won't be requiring your sympathy or your assistance, thank you very much. I know when to keep my mouth shut. However, if I did get into trouble, how would you know who I am so you can avoid helping me LOL. Imagine you found out later that you actually helped Tropo.

4. "I play martial arts to a reasonable degree and I don't resort to violence. Just because I can doesn't mean that I do. As a fighter, I know that the old dude had no intention of fighting. By his approach and his stances. But that is not the point. He was also walking away."

Your personal behaviour or fighting skills have no bearing on the probability of what can happen when people choose to abuse people in public, for whatever reason. 

And this gem was from your last post:

5. "Most odd to suggest that no one should speak up for fear of violence and if ones does, they deserve everything they get."

Please tell me what is the point of getting angry and remonstrating when someone has done something you don't appreciate? What's done is done. Complaining about it after the fact is pointless, other than blowing off steam... should we all become vigilantes to teach everyone out there a lesson? Perhaps we should leave that up to a fighter with your amazing skills. Good luck.

You really should go back and read your Bible again before you invoke any more scripture. Who's the fool you are referring to in Proverbs? Could it be you?

Archived