Pattaya: Brutal farang vs farang road rage assault caught on camera

Jonathan Fairfield

8 hours ago, catman20 said:

your statement is completely unjustified in my opinion you have not seen what happened before that for the small guy to go talk to the car behind , if he was racing up behind him and scaring your wife and child in the car then the car behind in the first place the driver is an idiot and secondly you would want to point it out to him as he could endanger other peoples lives maybe yours if you were crossing the road on a bend he is the type of idiot that would overtake on a corner and would not think twice about the concequences of knocking you down and killing you maybe you could be crossing the road with a child on a zebra crossing and that idiot would be the kind of idiot that would overtake a car waiting to let you cross the road and end up running you over and your child 

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the big guy should be deported and fined massively on top of paying medical costs.  violence is not the answer. hope the big guy gets charged.  do I need to be afraid of big people now as I walk down the street. where will this end.  i better start taking steroids

7 hours ago, JamJar said:

So...let's get this straight....if I am riding a bicycle, as I am wont to do, and a car driver cuts me up or veers into the cycle lane and I remonstrate with him by calling him an idiot, that in your eyes gives the car driver carte blanche to attack me?

Retaliation for remonstrating? It appears that you are stating that a perfectly acceptable reaction to a remonstration is a physical attack.

Did you beat your mum up if she told you off?

Let's get this straight... if you rode a bike in Pattaya, a car driver cuts you off or veers into your lane and you remonstrate with him by calling him an idiot, you're likely to cop a bashing. That's the reality of life in Pattaya and probably Thailand in general. I have no idea how much remonstrating you can get away with in your home country, but judging by your comments, probably quite a bit.

This is not about what is justified, moral, right or wrong. It's about what will likely happen in the real world. We're not preaching here, but giving sensible advice of how to behave in Thailand.

What you should do when someone does something you don't like here is suck it up, take a deep breath, remember where you are, bite your tongue and be on your way. That takes quite a bit of self-control for foreigners with inflated egos. It's a shame the victim in this incident had to learn his lesson the hard way. As stated many times, he's fortunate the driver wasn't Thai.

When I first came here and people cut me off I too remonstrated. I soon learned that it was not a good idea. I could bore you with some stories about how I remonstrated and what happened as a consequence, but surely you get the point now. 

Tropo read your previous Post again and you will see that the above is not what you were saying. You said the small guy was 'squaring up' for a fight and he clearly was not. It looked to me like he was walking away before he was attacked. As such your Post comes across as supportive of a completely unnecessary act of aggression. Just because it maybe more dangerous to confront someone who has done wrong in Thailand it does necessarily mean that it is right or wrong for the confrontation. 

In general if nobody confronts bad actions those that commit the bad will do so more often. Let's hope the small guy recovers quickly and the big guy was arrested, at least the bad guy will think twice about doing the same again.

1 hour ago, rogeroc said:

In general if nobody confronts bad actions those that commit the bad will do so more often. Let's hope the small guy recovers quickly and the big guy was arrested, at least the bad guy will think twice about doing the same again.

That's true ,   just get ready for fight mode when you do that in Thailand.

I hope they both got arrested,   both idiots.

49 minutes ago, onemorechang said:

That's true ,   just get ready for fight mode when you do that in Thailand.

I hope they both got arrested,   both idiots.

Yes, they are both idiots but one was a violent idiot and AFAIK, idiocy in itself isn't a crime, anywhere.

3 hours ago, tropo said:

Let's get this straight... if you rode a bike in Pattaya, a car driver cuts you off or veers into your lane and you remonstrate with him by calling him an idiot, you're likely to cop a bashing. That's the reality of life in Pattaya and probably Thailand in general. I have no idea how much remonstrating you can get away with in your home country, but judging by your comments, probably quite a bit.

This is not about what is justified, moral, right or wrong. It's about what will likely happen in the real world. We're not preaching here, but giving sensible advice of how to behave in Thailand.

What you should do when someone does something you don't like here is suck it up, take a deep breath, remember where you are, bite your tongue and be on your way. That takes quite a bit of self-control for foreigners with inflated egos. It's a shame the victim in this incident had to learn his lesson the hard way. As stated many times, he's fortunate the driver wasn't Thai.

When I first came here and people cut me off I too remonstrated. I soon learned that it was not a good idea. I could bore you with some stories about how I remonstrated and what happened as a consequence, but surely you get the point now. 

I have been in LOS collectively for over 20 years. I am still an avid remonstrator replete with blinding LED lights, deafening air horns, the oh so inappropriate middle finger.... and 80% window tint.

Just now, NanLaew said:

The idiot who got thumped, not the idiot that did the thumping.

i see,   The aggressive old guy.

He made his choice,   wonder what he said through the window of the car

to the guys wife and children,  bet it was not hello.

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I have been in LOS collectively for over 20 years. I am still an avid remonstrator replete with blinding LED lights, deafening air horns, the oh so inappropriate middle finger.... and 80% window tint.

LOL> I would be so lucky on my motorcycle. I've been riding around in Pattaya for over 11 years. I learnt the hard way early on that nothing good will come from remonstrating... now I swallow my pride, maintain a poker face, and keep on riding.:smile:

7 hours ago, rogeroc said:

Tropo read your previous Post again and you will see that the above is not what you were saying. You said the small guy was 'squaring up' for a fight and he clearly was not. It looked to me like he was walking away before he was attacked. As such your Post comes across as supportive of a completely unnecessary act of aggression. Just because it maybe more dangerous to confront someone who has done wrong in Thailand it does necessarily mean that it is right or wrong for the confrontation. 

If that's what you think, I failed to make my point clear enough. Even if you think he wasn't squaring up for a fight, he certainly was asking for one by getting in someone's face like that. If he was backing off it was probably because he realised too late that he was picking on someone "bigger" than himself. In actual fact, he probably outweighed the other guy.

Your idea that we should stand up to bad people to teach them how to behave is ridiculous. If you want to go around teaching all the nasty people in Pattaya a lesson, be my guest, and good luck.

Your point is not clear because it changes when you are challenged (and not by me). There is not a shred  of evidence in the video  that the guy was squaring up for a fight, that is you finding nonsense to support the argument you want to make. The older guy was remonstrating, he was not asking to be thumped, surely you can see that distinction !!. 

My other point was that sometimes we all have to consider to stand up for ourselves (and possibly others) against what is wrong, the Police are not on every street corner. That is what the moto cycle taxi guys did and good for them. 

Your wording 'stand up to bad people to teach them how to behave' is out of context and extreme language designed to attempt to support your argument that you have already lost. You are using language like this to detract from the reasonable  point i am making which is really poor form. 

19 hours ago, tropo said:

Stop digging my friend. It only becomes more difficult to extricate yourself in the end.

Suggesting that most people will tend to act like that violent ape is just nonsense.

Then you dig an even bigger hole for yourself in suggesting that Thai people are likely to react in an even more violent manner.

Racist nonsense.

Believe me, I have remonstrated with quite a few idiots in Pattaya and beyond. Not a single one of them has attempted to launch into an attack.....and that is the way it should be. 

The big guy was in no danger. He just couldn't control himself and decided to launch into an attack. Which is why the majority here have little objection to the locals dispensing instant justice.

Don't be another who assumes that everyone else is a newbie and that you are the voice of reason. You are not.

The man was likely rightly defending his family. There was no reason for violence and anyone who suggests that it is normal perhaps needs to rethink the way that they live their life..

The big guy could have simply warned him off. But he acted like a violent thug. 

1 hour ago, JamJar said:

The big guy was in no danger. He just couldn't control himself and decided to launch into an attack.

Absolutely 101% spot-on assessment.

The article should be renamed "... farang vs farang roid rage assault..."

The big bugger wears a wifebeater, has tatts and being identified as a Russian, pretty much assures he wasn't bloody teetotal either.

(That's for the tatt and roid defenders waiting in the wings).

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The big bugger wears a wifebeater, has tatts and being identified as a Russian, pretty much assures he wasn't bloody teetotal either.

Another forum has the 'big bugger' as being English with a Thai lady as the driver (wife?).

Of course, none of this has been verified and, given the silence from both local plod and press, it has likely been resolved in the time honoured way. We may never know the outcome, although, as the car plates were clearly seen, an ID of the big guy may happen at some stage. Although I would rather not be the one associated with giving out that info........... 

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The old aggressor guy has tatts as well. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 hours ago, JamJar said:

Stop digging my friend. It only becomes more difficult to extricate yourself in the end.

Suggesting that most people will tend to act like that violent ape is just nonsense.

Then you dig an even bigger hole for yourself in suggesting that Thai people are likely to react in an even more violent manner.

Racist nonsense.

You're doing all the digging, my friend. You're even playing the racist card now. Seriously? Have you never seen packs of Thai people attack foreigners? Where have you been?

I was trying to be as polite as possible in reply to your previous offerings, but now that you've decided to be obnoxious, I'll just have to come out and say it straight...

I asked you earlier if you think the victim was stupid, naive or overconfident. You easily tick all 3 boxes.

Perhaps you are the victim. I can't see any other reason for your stubborn disability to understand basic common sense.  

2 hours ago, tropo said:

You're doing all the digging, my friend. You're even playing the racist card now. Seriously? Have you never seen packs of Thai people attack foreigners? Where have you been?

I was trying to be as polite as possible in reply to your previous offerings, but now that you've decided to be obnoxious, I'll just have to come out and say it straight...

I asked you earlier if you think the victim was stupid, naive or overconfident. You easily tick all 3 boxes.

Perhaps you are the victim. I can't see any other reason for your stubborn disability to understand basic common sense.  

You just can't help yourself, can you? 

It was you who played the racist card, suggesting that Thais have a propensity for violence.

I have remonstrated with taxi drivers, motorbike and songthaew, over the years and nothing more than words exchanged.

Only an idiot pushes it into violence. Most people prefer to walk away. That is common sense. So your suggestion is that most everyone is a violent thug, especially Thai is just....not really thought through...but yet you continue to dig. Why? A face saving measure?

Perhaps there is good reason as to why you have had different experience to me.

As an aside, many years ago, a steroid fuelled freak and two friends attacked me from behind. They took umbrage that a girl to whom I was talking to had ignored them(they were making some unacceptable comments and the main protagonist must have assumed that his even larger friend would ensure his protection. In fact I told his larger friend to take him away. His larger friend pretended to not hear me.) and I told them to go away. Motorbike taxi drivers quickly evened up the odds and I finished the job.

Motorbike taxi drivers networked and traced where they all lived .I sent the attackers a basket a fruit and advised them to keep out of trouble in the future.

One didn't take the hint and went back to the scene and kicked off, when I wasn't there. I was told he was taken away. I never saw nor heard from them again. I'll say no more than that.

I am neither stupid, naive or overconfident. But what about you?

Perhaps now emasculated and covering it up with body building? I know others like that. Big bodies, but oh so scared inside.

As I told you before...do not assume that you are the arbiter because you have seen or experienced a few violent episodes in Thailand. That is simply your biased opinion.

No one is suggesting that you remonstrate over every transgression. You learn to go with the flow. Doesn't excuse the thug behaviour. A thug is a thug. Not because he is Thai, Russian or British....

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 1:20 PM, rogeroc said:

I agree  with rogeroc.  if we are gonna have all out fist fights to settle things. then I'm gonna start carrying numchucks

6 hours ago, JamJar said:

You just can't help yourself, can you? 

It was you who played the racist card, suggesting that Thais have a propensity for violence.

I have remonstrated with taxi drivers, motorbike and songthaew, over the years and nothing more than words exchanged.

Only an idiot pushes it into violence. Most people prefer to walk away. That is common sense. So your suggestion is that most everyone is a violent thug, especially Thai is just....not really thought through...but yet you continue to dig. Why? A face saving measure?

Perhaps there is good reason as to why you have had different experience to me.

As an aside, many years ago, a steroid fuelled freak and two friends attacked me from behind. They took umbrage that a girl to whom I was talking to had ignored them(they were making some unacceptable comments and the main protagonist must have assumed that his even larger friend would ensure his protection. In fact I told his larger friend to take him away. His larger friend pretended to not hear me.) and I told them to go away. Motorbike taxi drivers quickly evened up the odds and I finished the job.

Motorbike taxi drivers networked and traced where they all lived .I sent the attackers a basket a fruit and advised them to keep out of trouble in the future.

One didn't take the hint and went back to the scene and kicked off, when I wasn't there. I was told he was taken away. I never saw nor heard from them again. I'll say no more than that.

I am neither stupid, naive or overconfident. But what about you?

Perhaps now emasculated and covering it up with body building? I know others like that. Big bodies, but oh so scared inside.

As I told you before...do not assume that you are the arbiter because you have seen or experienced a few violent episodes in Thailand. That is simply your biased opinion.

No one is suggesting that you remonstrate over every transgression. You learn to go with the flow. Doesn't excuse the thug behaviour. A thug is a thug. Not because he is Thai, Russian or British....

OK, let's take this point by point so you don't get too confused: (your comments are in parentheses and numbered):

1: "You just can't help yourself, can you?"

It takes two to tango. You're not exactly holding anything back, are you?

2: "It was you who played the racist card, suggesting that Thais have a propensity for violence."

No, you played that card. I made a comment and YOU called it racist. That doesn't make it so. It's no secret that Thai people side with Thai people in most confrontations with foreigners and can get very nasty about it too. They fight in packs. If anyone is showing racial hatred, it's them, not me.

3. "I have remonstrated with taxi drivers, motorbike and songthaew, over the years and nothing more than words exchanged. Only an idiot pushes it into violence. Most people prefer to walk away. That is common sense.

I agree with the 2nd part of this comment, but the first part suggests you have been lucky, with a heavy dose of overconfidence. You will have no idea how far you can push a remonstration as different people have different tolerance levels.

4. "So your suggestion is that most everyone is a violent thug, especially Thai is just....not really thought through...but yet you continue to dig."

Please indicate where I suggest "most everyone is a violent thug". That's fabricated nonsense as it was never suggested by me. It was suggested that if you get into someone's face, as the victim in this incident did, you are RISKING a nasty confrontation (read: it's not a certainty). The only one not thinking things through here is you, as evidenced by this nonsensical rant.

5. "Why? A face saving measure? Perhaps there is good reason as to why you have had different experience to me".

You are saying you have never had any trouble. I think you're lying, but on an internet forum, you can say anything you like. You can be a hero for a day...

I never have trouble here. I don't remonstrate because it's pointless. I follow my own advice given earlier. Suck it in, take a deep breath, and walk away. You will never get into trouble with that approach. As for your comment: "a face saving measure". What do you mean by that? Why would I lose face by some ridiculous rant from an anonymous forum member. Get real!

6. "As an aside, many years ago, a steroid fuelled freak and two friends attacked me from behind. They took umbrage that a girl to whom I was talking to had ignored them(they were making some unacceptable comments and the main protagonist must have assumed that his even larger friend would ensure his protection. In fact I told his larger friend to take him away. His larger friend pretended to not hear me.) and I told them to go away. Motorbike taxi drivers quickly evened up the odds and I finished the job"

You're a regular hero...  The thing is you said you never had trouble. That seemed like trouble, or was it not trouble because you won the battle? You come across as a hot-head with little self-control, which makes it more probable that you're lying (that you've never had trouble).

7. "I am neither stupid, naive or overconfident"

I wholeheartedly disagree, but I didn't expect you to admit it, but you prove it with each successive rant.

8. "But what about you? Perhaps now emasculated and covering it up with body building? I know others like that. Big bodies, but oh so scared inside."

Have you met me? You've seen me? I don't push my weight around, so what's all this nonsense about bodybuilding? I suspect you're probably talking about yourself. I exercise and stay in shape for health reasons, nothing more. If I look better than you, that's the point, but if I want to train to take on all comers, I'll start Muay Thai training. I know the score. I'm well aware that big muscles don't make people better fighters, but you're the one who likes to risk fighting, so that's your hobby, not mine.

9. "As I told you before...do not assume that you are the arbiter because you have seen or experienced a few violent episodes in Thailand. That is simply your biased opinion."

My opinions are biased and yours are not? Listen to yourself. I've got news for you buddy, everything posted here is opinion. 

10. "No one is suggesting that you remonstrate over every transgression. You learn to go with the flow. Doesn't excuse the thug behaviour. A thug is a thug. Not because he is Thai, Russian or British...."

How do you choose when to remonstrate and when to shut up? Do you choose your marks carefully? I think you do. I think you're an emasculated coward who only remonstrates to people who are unlikely to retaliate or ones you think you can best in battle. Maybe you need to do some more bodybuilding. At least if you look bigger you'll intimidate your marks and scare some off.

Look forward to hearing from you soon....

19 minutes ago, tropo said:

OK, let's take this point by point so you don't get too confused: (your comments are in parentheses and numbered):

<snip>

Sorry...too long for me to bother to read and too late for your attempt at damage control.

I made my point. Yours was already clear.

3 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Sorry...too long for me to bother to read and too late for your attempt at damage control.

I made my point. Yours was already clear.

I apologise for making it so long for you, but your offerings had been ever increasing in length, making it ever harder to extract fact from fiction.

Your points were as clear as mud, which was probably your intention unless that's how your brain works... You made it quite clear that you think everything you offer is correct, while everything I offered was merely biased opinion.

32 minutes ago, tropo said:

I apologise for making it so long for you, but your offerings had been ever increasing in length, making it ever harder to extract fact from fiction.

Your points were as clear as mud, which was probably your intention unless that's how your brain works... You made it quite clear that you think everything you offer is correct, while everything I offered was merely biased opinion.

My opinion was that the violence was uncalled for. Yours the opposite. That it is to be expected, especially from Thais.

No need for back pedalling. You stated your opinion and I stated mine. Let's move on.

See? No violence.

We made our points and we moved right along. 

25 minutes ago, JamJar said:

My opinion was that the violence was uncalled for. Yours the opposite. That it is to be expected, especially from Thais.

No need for back pedalling. You stated your opinion and I stated mine. Let's move on.

See? No violence.

We made our points and we moved right along. 

You're twisting it again. My opinion is that violence is a possible outcome for anyone who remonstrates as the victim did.  

Never did I make a comment on whether it is justified or not. I'll leave that to the judge and preachers. Some people may think that verbal abuse deserves a physical response, some may not. I'm not interested (here) in discussing that and I haven't offered an opinion on it. What is certain is that verbal abuse OFTEN results in physical violence.  

That's about the size of it. 

You spent most of your time pontificating on how you are right and I am wrong, not understanding that we were actually discussing different things.

I was discussing reality. You were discussing morality.

I'm quite happy to leave it at that if you are.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

6. "As an aside, many years ago, a steroid fuelled freak and two friends attacked me from behind. They took umbrage that a girl to whom I was talking to had ignored them(they were making some unacceptable comments and the main protagonist must have assumed that his even larger friend would ensure his protection. In fact I told his larger friend to take him away. His larger friend pretended to not hear me.) and I told them to go away. Motorbike taxi drivers quickly evened up the odds and I finished the job"

You're a regular hero...  The thing is you said you never had trouble. That seemed like trouble, or was it not trouble because you won the battle? You come across as a hot-head with little self-control, which makes it more probable that you're lying (that you've never had trouble).

Perhaps you have problems with your comprehension. One man making unpleasant comments to a girl to whom I was talking. I was not remonstrating with anyone.

I asked his steroid fuelled friend to take him away, but instead of doing so, he pretended that he could not hear me. Whilst this was going on, the protagonist came up behind me to attack me. 

So not a situation were I was remonstrating with anyone.

As to hothead...I don't think anyone reading our posts would describe ME as the hothead.

Whereas you keep banging on trying to convince us that violence is the normal way. Give it a rest my friend, we've made our opinions clear.

Archived