Songkran road deaths down 12%

webfact

Songkran road deaths down 12% 
By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A total of 390 people were killed in road accidents during the seven-day monitoring period for the Songkran holiday, an 11.76 per cent drop on the same period last year, Interior Ministry permanent secretary Kritsada Boonraj said on Tuesday.

Kritsada said there were 3,690 road accidents from April 11-17, 7.05 per cent higher than the same monitored period last year.

The number of people killed was 52 fewer than last year.

But the number of people injured increased 152, or 4.16 per cent, to 3,808.

Drink driving was again the biggest cause of accidents, accounting for 43.06 per cent of all road accidents.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30312574

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-18

Road Safety Center’s accident report on seven dangerous days of Songkran 2017

BANGKOK, 18th April 2017, (NNT) - The Road Safety Directing Center has recently released a road accident report on the seven dangerous days of this year’s Songkran holiday which started on April 11th and ended yesterday, April 17th. 

The report indicates that being under the influence of alcohol and speeding were the two main causes of accidents during the celebration period this year, followed by cutting in front of other vehicles. Most of these accidents involved motorcycles, followed by pickup trucks. 

According to the report, the top five dangers that put lives at risk during the long holiday were refusing to wear safety helmets, being under the influence of alcohol, speeding, cutting off other vehicles and operating vehicles recklessly. 

The center pointed out that refusing to wear safety helmets, speeding, being under the influence of alcohol and poor visibility are the top four causes of death during Songkran 2017.

Motorcycle and pickup truck accidents are still the cause of most deaths. 

The center’s data shows that the top five reasons for motorists and riders being prosecuted in the seven-day period included refusing to wear a safety helmet, driving without a driver's license, refusing to wear safety belt, operating vehicles recklessly and speeding.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-04-18

So now that Songkran is over, maybe the cops can stay out there and enforce ALL the road rules everywhere, everyday.

80% of the deaths were from bikes with most down to no helmet. A 500 Baht fine is not a deterrent. Confiscate the bike for 30 days each time too and you will see helmet usage increase very quickly.

Odd that no mention of drink driving which was apparently the cause of 45% of the accidents.

Edited by darksidedog

22 minutes ago, webfact said:

....the top five dangers that put lives at risk during the long holiday were refusing to wear safety helmets, being under the influence of alcohol, speeding, cutting off other vehicles and operating vehicles recklessly.....

Rest of the 358 days, it's just brake failure....:coffee1:

Why do TV posters demand the license are taken away..... If your read the stats for how many are on the road with no paperwork at all for the vehicle it is pointless. No insurance, no owner docs, never sat a proper test and all controlled and monitored by a totally ineffective bunch of brainless 8 year olds with whistles..... 

I am now certain the locals live in their own bubble of Keystone Cop / Harold Lloyd movie world where everyone whizzes around pranging in to one another. Then get up and stagger around cross eyed, waiting for the next Grand Piano to fall on their heads.....

Songkran festival celebrations kill 390 people, injure 3,808 others 

180409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Songkran festival celebrations from April 11 -17 have claimed 390 lives and 3,808 injuries, the Road Safety Centre said today.

It said that the final day of the celebration yesterday alone 40 people were killed and 323 were injured in a total of 307 road accidents.

In conclusion, there were altogether 3,690 road accidents from April 11-17 and 390 people have died and 3,808 injured.

Main causes of the fatal road accidents are drink driving (1,589 cases), speeding (1,028 cases), and reckless cutting in front of other car (547 cases).

Motorcycles are the vehicles that involved in most fatal accidents with 284 deaths, followed by pickup trucks, 49 deaths, and cars, 27 deaths.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/songkran-festival-celebrations-kill-390-people-injure-3808-others/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-04-18

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Motorcycles are the vehicles that involved in most fatal accidents with 284 deaths

Interesting stat. I wonder how many of these are hit and killed by drunken, speeding car drivers. And, I'll keep saying this, road fatality stats are only those who die within a 24 hr. period. There have probably been people who were in an accident Sat. for example, who have died today and will not be included in road fatality stats. 

Like most surveys, how true are the results? I'm very sceptical with regards to the numbers announced.

Never judge a book by its cover. It's what is inside that really counts. Meaning, it all looks good from the outside, to help give a positive effect but what really is the truth?

My feeling is, that there were many more deaths, than officially reported?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Well... it's better than an increase!
The stats on higher number of accidents as well as higher number of injuries go hand in hand. But with fewer fatalities... makes me wonder if maybe a bit more people were wearing helmets than last year. A helmet could keep them from dying, but still be injured. This could create such a stat. So could seat belt usage. But motorcycle fatalities are a huge part of the equation.
Keep increasing helmet usage and decreasing other various stupidity and the next thing you know, there'll be significant change! Oh.... hmmm... I almost forgot where I am! There's always hoping! Isn't there? maybe...? please....

5 hours ago, rodney earl said:

Wow. Only 390 in seven days. 12% down. That is really something to be proud of. The sooner they stop this lunacy the better.!!!

No pleasing some people. 12% still 12% not perfect but not bad. If you got a 12% reduction in your salary tomorrow would that be nothing or significant to you?

5 hours ago, rodney earl said:

Wow. Only 390 in seven days. 12% down. That is really something to be proud of. The sooner they stop this lunacy the bet

Edited by starky

What about the wounded people that made it to the hospital and are dying in the hospital, where are those statistics. The real numbers need to be a part of equation. Ain't you all agree?. The math has to be trustworthy . Regards to everyone affected and specially those family and friends that are affected. I'm so sorry

for all of them...