Carer needed

Thailion

Hello all....Looking for nurses/carers for my brother.

Based in CM close to the Promenada I am in need for carers to help take care of my brother.

He had an accident 10 years ago and needs 24 hour care (TBI).

Looking for Thai carers that can speak reasonable English...any recommendations would be appreciated.

13 hours ago, NancyL said:

Thanks for this.  Do you have experience with this organization?

No Nancy, not personally. But a friend of mine was recommended to them by one of the hospitals when his mother was ill and discharged from the hospital. My friend said he was impressed with the care that they gave his mother.

I am getting on in years and was thinking; what if my health begins to deteriorate, who is going to take care of me? I don`t want to be a burden to my family, so where can I find suitable care facilities and still be independent of those close to me?

Then I found The McKean Care Centre in Chiang Mai. I went to visit and was very impressed by the facilities there.

http://www.mckean.or.th/service/dok-kaew/

It`s not cheap, about 50000 baht +, for those who need 24/7 dependant care. Still cheap compared to the equivalent western care homes and probably where I`ll maybe end up one day. How much can the OP`s brother pay or is willing to pay towards his care in Thailand? Considering, you only get what you pay for.

The OP is looking for caregivers who would come into the home, but since we're on the topic of residential care facilities, there are some resources on the website of www.LannaCareNet.org

http://www.lannacarenet.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/LCN-Care-Facilities-Survey-December-2015-Document-1.pdf

http://www.lannacarenet.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Care-survey-grid-1.pdf

53 minutes ago, NancyL said:

The OP is looking for caregivers who would come into the home, but since we're on the topic of residential care facilities, there are some resources on the website of www.LannaCareNet.org

http://www.lannacarenet.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/LCN-Care-Facilities-Survey-December-2015-Document-1.pdf

http://www.lannacarenet.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Care-survey-grid-1.pdf

Chiang Mai is second to none where care facilities for the infirm and elderly are concerned. There are many choices, some better then others depending on affordability. I think the OP should visit as many of these care institutions as possible and then decide what he considers is the best options for his brother and what is best to suit all those involved most viable options.

4 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Chiang Mai is second to none where care facilities for the infirm and elderly are concerned. There are many choices, some better then others depending on affordability. I think the OP should visit as many of these care institutions as possible and then decide what he considers is the best options for his brother and what is best to suit all those involved most viable options.

I think you misunderstand the original post.  Or perhaps he wasn't specific enough and I have some additional information because I have some limited information about the situation.  The OP's brother is in a home on a compound with his elderly parents and the OP has a business here in Chiang Mai.  The brother's house is already well fitted to take care of the brother who needs care.  The family has no desire to place him in one of the excellent care facilities here in Chiang Mai.  They've been able to hire caregivers for 10 years but because of illness of one of the current caregivers they are in need of a new hire.  The man in need of care is 50 years old and suffered a traumatic brain injury due to an accident 10 years ago.  His mother, who lives in a house on the compound with her husband is a retired nurse and very good at training new caregivers, but she is elderly and cannot do the work herself.  They seem like very nice people.

There was someone looking for a job as a carer this last Saturday in the "job forum"

She came recommended by another long-time ThaiVisa member, and although located in Sriracha seems willing to relocate. Could be an option.

Sophon

10 hours ago, NancyL said:

I think you misunderstand the original post.  Or perhaps he wasn't specific enough and I have some additional information because I have some limited information about the situation.  The OP's brother is in a home on a compound with his elderly parents and the OP has a business here in Chiang Mai.  The brother's house is already well fitted to take care of the brother who needs care.  The family has no desire to place him in one of the excellent care facilities here in Chiang Mai.  They've been able to hire caregivers for 10 years but because of illness of one of the current caregivers they are in need of a new hire.  The man in need of care is 50 years old and suffered a traumatic brain injury due to an accident 10 years ago.  His mother, who lives in a house on the compound with her husband is a retired nurse and very good at training new caregivers, but she is elderly and cannot do the work herself.  They seem like very nice people.

Very helpful information Nancy, without it I would have thought one of the facilities would be best.

What, if any would the relevant licenses/certifications be for this type of person in CM?  The OP stated "carer," and that likely means not a BNS, but there are a number of different levels, all with different pay requirements.  Room and board can play into a lot of these jobs.

13 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

What, if any would the relevant licenses/certifications be for this type of person in CM?  The OP stated "carer," and that likely means not a BNS, but there are a number of different levels, all with different pay requirements.  Room and board can play into a lot of these jobs.

That's an interesting question.  Certainly someone with a BNS isn't needed for this type of job, nor is it going to be possible to hire someone with this degree.  People with this qualification typically can find work for an employer who offers good benefits that are difficult for a someone looking for a in-home carer to offer.

There are CNA -- certified nursing assistants in Thailand, who have a year or so of post secondary school education.  Again, people with this certification can often find employment in one of the care facilities discussed in this thread where they will receive employee benefits.  Sometimes someone with CNA certification will work in a private residence if the pay if good enough or if they've been placed though an agency that provides benefits from them, but it is unusual.

In reality, the people who work as carers in private residents are often simply caring people who have had experience in caring for relatives or previous employers.  They may have started as domestic employees, perhaps maids or gardeners and found themselves moving into being caregivers as their employers developed health problems or aged.  There are short courses available to train members of the general public in taking care of the elderly and sometimes employers will ask their domestic staff to enroll in these courses to improve their skills.

This is an area where there is real need for more skilled people.  Not just for us foreigners but for the Thai people themselves.  Thailand is an ageing society with rapidly changing family dynamics and the country is ill-prepared to deal with it.

Archived