Black screen of death ?

NE1

My iphone 6 has died I think . I have been using it this morning , set it down and when I returned , it had turned itself off.

Know matter what I do I cannot get it to come on .

I have plugged it into Itunes , but it does not appear , I have pressed the home and power buttons in that many configurations my fingers hurt.

I have tried charging it , I have used 3 different cables , I cannot even get the apple logo to appear .

Any suggestions / ideas /comments.

Call Apple in Singapore, don't go into any unofficial repair shops until you have spoken to Apple and they have given you advice/job number.

If you live near one of the official 'icare' shops then go and see them, but I would call Apple first anyway.

I have noticed with iPhones that when they die and you charge them it takes a while before you actually get enough juice in it to get anything on the screen !
Probably sounds a bit obvious but have you plugged it in and left it 15 minutes before trying to turn it on ?

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

No can do with an iPhone !, cannot take the battery out.

I thought I'd read that, which is why I qualified what I said. A good reason not to buy an iPhone I guess, as they deliberately prevent you making an easy fix. I wonder why they do that - so they can charge you to fix it?

7 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I have noticed with iPhones that when they die and you charge them it takes a while before you actually get enough juice in it to get anything on the screen !
Probably sounds a bit obvious but have you plugged it in and left it 15 minutes before trying to turn it on ?

Had it plugged into Itunes for an hour , then into a wall socket for an hour with a different charging cable.

Even with a low battery , it should have shown up as a connection in Itunes.

9 minutes ago, NE1 said:

Had it plugged into Itunes for an hour , then into a wall socket for an hour with a different charging cable.

Even with a low battery , it should have shown up as a connection in Itunes.

I know you said you already did this but when you held down the power and home buttons how long did you hold for? This happened to a friends phone recently and when I researched it they said to hold for up to 20 seconds. I also kept it plugged in to the mains when doing this and eventually it worked. Best of luck.

I thought I'd read that, which is why I qualified what I said. A good reason not to buy an iPhone I guess, as they deliberately prevent you making an easy fix. I wonder why they do that - so they can charge you to fix it?

He we go.....Some flagship Samsung phones are also sealed units due to being waterproof. Sounds like your Samsung has a battery connection problem due to it coming loose from the contacts due to it being a removable type, not the same design as iPhone batteries or other phones with sealed units.

Sounds like you have covered all the options in trying to start it.

It does, unfortunately, sound like it has lost the will to live.

Still worth investigation though, may be just an issue with the lightning socket and all information is not lost.

Anyway, wish you luck !!

( let us know the outcome please)

Could just be a faulty battery or a lose connection inside. Ask any cheapo shop to test with a replacement battery. People saying you can't change the battery don't know what they are talking about. It's two tiny screws at the bottom and then you can pivot the screen up. The battery is there connected with a connector to the side. Just pop of the cap with a knife and you can undo the connector. 

Ps a new battery will set you back 800 - 1200 Baht depending on the location and quality of the battery I guess. You can also opt for an original battery at something like 3000 Baht. 

So what they are saying is , if you drop your phone and break the screen , and you have the choice to get it fixed immediately by a third party , or wait 2 weeks for it to get sent away to an authorised apple repair shop , you are going to lose your phone.

Do apple think that everybody lives in a town with an authorised dealer ?

If that is the case then sod'em.

I know it will not make any difference to the apple machine , but I think the next phone will not be one of theirs.

So what they are saying is , if you drop your phone and break the screen , and you have the choice to get it fixed immediately by a third party , or wait 2 weeks for it to get sent away to an authorised apple repair shop , you are going to lose your phone.

I know it will not make any difference to the apple machine , but I think the next phone will not be one of theirs.

You have to judge it by how many Apple devices you have and how often they need repairs. In my case I've had multiple Apple devices for the past 8 years and only one repair, which cost me nothing apart from having to wait 3 weeks.

If you opt for Samsung you will get the same or poorer service. Apple will actually replace your device in many cases if the damage isn't caused by you. My mate took his MB Air in for repair and they just gave him a new one which was actually a better model!

If you don't need a high end smart phone then try a cheaper Android, locally made. This might work out better but be prepared for possibly more faults and shorter life span of the device.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

14 minutes ago, NE1 said:

This policy has long been ended. Now you can have your phone fixed and at next update won't brick it. The exception is the fingerprint reader for security reasons. 

It surprises me how many people break their screens though. I've had all iPhones from model 4 up and 3 different iPads. So far I only encountered one little crack in the corner of one iPad. None of the devices have bumpers or protection, and they get dropped all the time. Last week was the first real damage, when an iPhone 6 slid if the desk while charging and playing a video and it landed on its side on the tiles. It wouldn't turn on at all afterwards, but el cheapo shop assessed that the battery somehow was damaged. I paid 1000 Baht for a new battery and all is well again. 

The only phone I had issues with was an iPhone 5s which bricked during over the air updating. I spend a week trying to fix it and went though dozens of iTunes errors. All to no avail. Apple service center tried and also couldn't fix it so they offered a new one for cheap. In stead I went to a local shop and they managed to get it to work again after two weeks of trying. Cost 300 Baht. 

Gulfsailor , where do I need to send my phone to be fixed , Singapore or can it be done here ?

Check the pinned thread in the top of the Apple forum. Like I said earlier if you phone Apple Singapore they will tell you exactly the closest place to you and issue you with a job number.

2 minutes ago, NE1 said:

Gulfsailor , where do I need to send my phone to be fixed , Singapore or can it be done here ?

Any phone shop that shows replacement screens in the window or counter can open the phone and check for common problems like the battery. 

You HAVE left the phone plugged into a charger.that you KNOW works for at LEAST a couple of hours, right?  Chargers do go bad (as do cables), and sometimes owners get their hands on 3rd party chargers & cables that stop working after awhile..  Sorry if I'm restating the obvious.

Sometimes the fuse in the Apple charger packs up and the charger does not work, have you checked it??

sorry but I chucked away two chargers before i noticed the fuse holder .

also if the battery goes totally flat less than 1% it will not necessarily show up on iTunes.

hope that helps but if not then there are two things that need checking, screen and battery, did you have any flashing or lines on the screen before you put it down?

On 19/04/2017 at 11:34 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Sounds like you have covered all the options in trying to start it.

It does, unfortunately, sound like it has lost the will to live.

Still worth investigation though, may be just an issue with the lightning socket and all information is not lost.

Anyway, wish you luck !!

( let us know the outcome please)

Took it to a third party in a mall , he checked the mainboard it had died and the screen was warped .

He replaced both for 4,500 baht.

• 3 weeks later...
On April 19, 2017 at 11:19 AM, NE1 said:

I have done the power/sleep buttons ranging from 10 seconds to over a minute.

What makes me think it is fatal , is that it does not show up on itunes.

Coincidentially, I was in an iCare store in Passione's Mall in Ban Chang yesterday for  a Black Screen of death on a Macbook Air.       As I was going over the  issue  with the fellow at the desk I noticed  a listing of exchange prices for iPhones next to the register.        I didn't ask any details about the program but it may be worthwhile to look into for an iPhone in a condition such as yours.   Apple does take phones back and refurbish them.

My Air is covered by Applecare which unfortunately isn't available in Thailand for iPhones. 

Good luck

Archived