Tourists’ spending during Songkran 14% higher than last year

snoop1130

Tourists’ spending during Songkran 14% higher than last year

By The Nation

b488ab8c8d8c7344ae0eb962b5df8c38.jpeg

Overall spending by Thai and foreign travellers during the Songkran holiday period from April 11 to 17 topped an estimated Bt45 billion, 14.4 per cent higher than in last year’s festive season, Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said on Tues.

Of total, Bt36.9 billion were spent by foreign tourists, up 16.4 per cent year on year, while Thai tourists spent the rest Bt8.490 billion, up 6.45 per cent. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/EconomyAndTourism/30312617

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-4-18

OOOOOHH   first POST!!!!

Money #1 after all.....

My question is DONT thais KEEP the damn water guns

ponchos--plastic waterproof wallets--esp the SHIRTS

and if no where the hell do they all go----i certianly buy NONE

of it and hate songkran but tons of tourist buy them and then

leave here..is there a secret recycling place for all this JUNK

Cleaned up and resold back to the same suckers year after year!

Maybe i should get into the junky hello kitty water gun business!!! :sleep:

Given that Songkran finished at midnight, 18 hours to collate, compute, verify and publish such accurate statistics is pretty darned impressive!

The TAT statisticians must have been number crunching through the night

Unless...

Such rubbish.......As Thais we are to believe that within 24 hours of Songkran the Dept of Tourism & Sports has received turnover figures from various hotels, shopping malls & entertainment outlets showing a jump in Songkran spending. This announcement will come as a surprise to the Finance Ministry which collects data from outlets each month-end and then takes up to 3 months to release a summary - which even then is often incorrect.

Fast & feel good announcements like this do nothing for credibility.

Sadly some in govt. continue making grand announcements with no cold data to back it up.

The extra spending is down to fewer road deaths.

Spending up 14%

Road deaths down 12%.

So keep more people alive next year and you will see an even bigger increase in spending.

Or I might have done what TAT have done and made it up.

And how do you know spending is 14% higher than last year so quick ? Do you check what they bring in and out. Has somebody actually bought a computer at last instead of paper work ? Wishfull thinking just keep on talking thailand up. Keep the exchange rate down. 

9 hours ago, JAG said:

Given that Songkran finished at midnight, 18 hours to collate, compute, verify and publish such accurate statistics is pretty darned impressive!

Unless...

nothing was calculated. it was estimated. cant have bad news so the estimation has to bring happiness to the people. i suspect the road toll is not calculated either.

10 hours ago, JAG said:

Unless...

How do they do it so quickly and Songkran hasn't even finish in Pattaya.

Yeah...and pigs can fly!

Road carnage 12% down (although more accidents happen) and tourist revenue is 14% up!

That means, next year, we hear more BS about "alcohol free zones" and we get more regulations!

Because the whole water crisis is not due to farmers, who try to plant off season- rice, but due to 3 days in April!

11 hours ago, SparklingCascades said:

Such rubbish.......As Thais we are to believe that within 24 hours of Songkran the Dept of Tourism & Sports has received turnover figures from various hotels, shopping malls & entertainment outlets showing a jump in Songkran spending. This announcement will come as a surprise to the Finance Ministry which collects data from outlets each month-end and then takes up to 3 months to release a summary - which even then is often incorrect.

Fast & feel good announcements like this do nothing for credibility.

Sadly some in govt. continue making grand announcements with no cold data to back it up.

How could anybody possible know how much tourists spent after just a day or two (or ever for that matter)? Mr Trump would call these 'alternative facts'.

14 hours ago, JAG said:

Unless...

I think he was wrong. I think by my calculation it was 14.5529349%

On 4/18/2017 at 10:45 PM, JAG said:

Unless...

Not only that, but they also know how much was spent by Thais as compared to foreigners !  The percentage increases quoted complete with decimal points are quite impressive but are surely a complete nonsense.