Cost of running a small backyard pool

tropo

I'm looking around for a house to rent in Pattaya. I don't really need a pool but some houses have them, so I could end up with one if I like the house.

My question is, roughly how much does a small backyard pool cost to run per month - electricity, water, chemicals and possibly a pool maintenance service?

It  depends very  much  on  the size of the pool. and the quality  of the top-up  water.  The main  cost  is the elecricity  for  the pump. A typical  4 x 10m  pool could cost  up  to  THB 900 - 1,000 for  the electricity, while depending  on  the amount  of regular treatment  to  maintain  the chemical  balance, it  could cost  up to  another  1,000. If the pool  system  is equipped with  an  ioniser or a salt water chlorinator, the cost  for  chemical  could be considerably  less.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a 12.50x5.00x1.60m pool. The cost depends on the season (i.e. hot vs. cold), how efficient your skimmer/pump system is, how good YOU (I've yet to meet a pool service that actually understands even the basics) can balance the chemicals and where you buy them (you can pay triple the price for the same chemical).

I've had small pools (terribly configured) that cost me more than double of my current pool (non-salt water), which is in average 1600 THB/month over the year. incl electricity, refilling with water, annual change of filtration sand, chemicals (minimal usage), small repairs and the gardener that has been taught how to vacuum the pool once a week - all in.

That said, you're question, without clearer info is like asking how long is a string...

I have a 20'x10'x4' in ground pool. Run the pump 4 hours a day. I would bet it costs 500b to run as my total bill for a 3 br house is only 2500. As far a chemicals add another 300b.  The secret is don't let anyone maintain your pool but you.  Thais have no idea how to maintain a clean pool. Add 4oz of pooltrine weekly and get pool test strips from ebay that test more than just Ph and Chlorine and you will wonder why other people fight their pools everyday.  Managing your pool correctly = saving money.

14937099580051224816972.jpg

1 hour ago, sanukjim said:

If you have to ask then you can not afford it.

Your reply, (possibly in jest), does however suggest that of course you can afford it and are a trifle condescending towards those who might not be able to. It may surprise you to know that there are many wealthy people around who still do not want to throw money away unnecessarily, which could be the reason they have got so much in the first place.

Having had the pleasure of enjoying a few houses with pools, I'd say that, unless you have children and the time for supervision at the pool, it is not worth the hassle. 
The money is not the major issue, I would not know how much I spent on it; but daily Vacuum cleaning and chemical testing, adjusting the water quality, regular backwashing of filters (uses a lot of water), regularly cleaning the walls depending on the level of sun-exposure, take considerable time and are enjoyable for a week or two.

Also, I agree, if you do not do it yourself, or control the work others do for you, unless you are in an area with one or two quality pool maintenance firms, hiring a maintenance person will not significantly enhance your privacy, nor your pool experience.

Furthermore, most pools are not fit for swimmers. Once you push off, there is room for a couple of strokes before making a roll to swim back. Great fun!

1 hour ago, csabo said:

I have a 20'x10'x4' in ground pool. Run the pump 4 hours a day. I would bet it costs 500b to run as my total bill for a 3 br house is only 2500. As far a chemicals add another 300b.  The secret is don't let anyone maintain your pool but you.  Thais have no idea how to maintain a clean pool. Add 4oz of pooltrine weekly and get pool test strips from ebay that test more than just Ph and Chlorine and you will wonder why other people fight their pools everyday.  Managing your pool correctly = saving money.

14937099580051224816972.jpg

Hello,

Your pool seems nice, the minimum size acceptable and useful to exercise.

How much did you spend to build it ? 

Thanks.

11 minutes ago, KKr said:

Having had the pleasure of enjoying a few houses with pools, I'd say that, unless you have children and the time for supervision at the pool, it is not worth the hassle. 
The money is not the major issue, I would not know how much I spent on it; but daily Vacuum cleaning and chemical testing, adjusting the water quality, regular backwashing of filters (uses a lot of water), regularly cleaning the walls depending on the level of sun-exposure, take considerable time and are enjoyable for a week or two.

Also, I agree, if you do not do it yourself, or control the work others do for you, unless you are in an area with one or two quality pool maintenance firms, hiring a maintenance person will not significantly enhance your privacy, nor your pool experience.

Furthermore, most pools are not fit for swimmers. Once you push off, there is room for a couple of strokes before making a roll to swim back. Great fun!

The majority of the houses in our village are owned by Westerners and have pools which are cleaned by a maintenance firm twice a week, even when the owners only occupy the house for a few weeks a year.  Even the owners of the houses which are permanently occupied rarely seem to use their pools once the novelty has worn off, unless they have visitors, but of course with the pool taking up a large part of each plot and normally in a commanding position, the owners really have no option to keep them clean and looking good, as otherwise they can be an eyesore.

11 hours ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

The majority of the houses in our village are owned by Westerners and have pools which are cleaned by a maintenance firm twice a week, even when the owners only occupy the house for a few weeks a year.  Even the owners of the houses which are permanently occupied rarely seem to use their pools once the novelty has worn off, unless they have visitors, but of course with the pool taking up a large part of each plot and normally in a commanding position, the owners really have no option to keep them clean and looking good, as otherwise they can be an eyesore.

This is what so many people do not understand. A pool is not for fun and to be used once a month. A pool is made to swim everyday to exercise. But I agree that most people with pool are just ridiculous.

We have a 5m x 12m overflow style salt water pool. 

Poolman - 3 visits a week - 1500 baht a Month.

Salt - Between two and four bags a Month depending on season - 110 baht a bag

Electricity - Less than a 1000 baht ( I reduced the pump times by half one Month and found little change in our bill )

Water from our deep bore so no real cost.

So worst case scenario is less than 3000 baht a Montb. But you would need to add ongoing replacement and maintenance over a year. In four years I have replaced the pool pump electric motor due to a worn shaft seal. Was less than 3000 baht fitted.

Wondering if anyone might have any ideas...

I live in a compound with a pool.

We switched over from well water to city water...

The pool started getting a lot of brown colored sediment and some days were really bad.

Recently the pool has a lot of green sediment that looks like a form of algae.

The pool gets vacuumed every day and the woman who does the vacuuming also puts some sort of meter in the pool that I assume measures ph at the very least.

Any idea where the problem stems from?

Is the brown sediment sand? if so it could be coming from the filter, cracked under drain.If it is worse some days and not others then that may well be the case, especially after backwashing.

The green algae  is a sign there is not enough free chlorine in the pool caused by not putting enough in, insufficient stabilizer to prevent the chlorine being destroyed by sunlight.

If your pool needs to be faced every day then you either have a big problem with external debris or you filtration is not working properly.

7 hours ago, abab said:

This is what so many people do not understand. A pool is not for fun and to be used once a month. A pool is made to swim everyday to exercise. But I agree that most people with pool are just ridiculous.

Really?

So why is there such a massive market in pool games, slides, floats / loungers etc etc?

A pool is for whatever you want it for.  Ours gets used every weekend by the grandkids = fun, and my wife swims every other day = exercise.

In many parts of Thailand municipal water supplies are of very low quality both of a high level of turbidity and micro-organic pollution. In  some cases, a sand filter, particlulary if the sand has reached its useful  life and needs changing (full of clumps and worm holes), may not  cope with this.

It  is important to carry out a fairly  accurate, comprehensive water analysis, but the best solutions are:

Just beware: there are some very "Bad Suppliers" acting...with nice stories and promises but terrible outcome...We suffered this: ordered a new modular pool, it took more than 6 weeks to install...and has been leaking ever since.  We paid a lot of money for a "nightmare".  Finally the seller wouldn't pay 1 Baht back...We had to empty the pool 8 times without result.  When leaking they always have stories about "evaporation" etc....So we took the misery out and ordered a new one,

installment took 4 days and we enjoy this ever since.  Beware also for Farang sellers...they promise heaven but give hell...because they don't know more than you or me can read on internet.

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

Really?

So why is there such a massive market in pool games, slides, floats / loungers etc etc?

A pool is for whatever you want it for.  Ours gets used every weekend by the grandkids = fun, and my wife swims every other day = exercise.

I just mean that most people have one and NEVER swim, they are the ones that I call stupid.

6 minutes ago, abab said:

I just mean that most people have one and NEVER swim, they are the ones that I call stupid.

It seems that you never had the opportunity to enjoy  a private pool...I wish you had , than you would react different...and there are people, indeed, who enjoy the use of their pool every day...

8 hours ago, Crossy said:

Really?

Exactly..... I grew up in the US in Florida and we had a pool which my brothers and I, along with our friends used it just about everyday.  

No need to use it everyday to enjoy a pool. I have a myriad of things that I enjoy on occaision but don't feel I have to use on a daily basis to justify their purchase.

From a food processor to a bicycle pump. It's the convenience and pleasure of having it available when needed. I certainly don't lay awake at night worrying about the cost and thinking, " I must swim more often to get money's worth " :whistling:

Life is too short...Enjoy while you can.

On 5/2/2017 at 4:19 PM, abab said:

Hello,

Your pool seems nice, the minimum size acceptable and useful to exercise.

How much did you spend to build it ? 

Thanks.

Sorry. It came with the house so can't help with that. Agreed that you could just barely use it for short laps.

On 4/24/2017 at 8:32 AM, SwimmingPoolsThailand said:

It  depends very  much  on  the size of the pool. and the quality  of the top-up  water.  The main  cost  is the elecricity  for  the pump. A typical  4 x 10m  pool could cost  up  to  THB 900 - 1,000 for  the electricity, while depending  on  the amount  of regular treatment  to  maintain  the chemical  balance, it  could cost  up to  another  1,000. If the pool  system  is equipped with  an  ioniser or a salt water chlorinator, the cost  for  chemical  could be considerably  less.

.... but manual chlorination is cheaper, when you factor in the cost of a chlorinator and its replacement cells. 

The former would not be an issue for you if you acquire a good one with life in the cell thru' the house purchase of course. In any event I find salt water chlorination a more convenient and reliable option than manual chlorination, but don't let any pool pros convince anyone that it is overall cheaper; they invariably and conveniently overlook depreciated equipment cost! 

On 5/3/2017 at 6:03 PM, abab said:

unless you have, like a person I know, a dog that enjoys a swim when it is hot.

3 hours ago, Beats56 said:

I had two pools in the home county and I can tell you they are big pain in the arse. Would never have one again.

if you think a pool is bad, try owning a boat.

If you have to ask then you can not afford it.

Nonsense! It just influences my decision when looking for a good rental house. For example, a 30k rental with a pool could be 35k when adding pool expenses. Without a pool I can get more house for my money.

I went for a non-pool rental. Thanks to all for your input here.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived