New Baby's Nickname

MartinL

I never liked my ex wife's nickname and called her by her proper name for 20 years, all her family and friends used her nickname but nobody questioned it.
My mother, father and brother use my full name ( Andrew ) but everyone else I know calls me Andy .
It's just accepted.

You can call your granddaughter what you want, whether her real name or a nickname of your choice.
You can use it as your own " special " name for your granddaughter, not sure if that will be acceptable to your family but it certainly seems like an acceptable compromise to me !!

As suggested by Andy (Andrew) above, simply give your grandaughter your own special nickname, possibly also used by your wife. 

I seriously doubt your Stepson will be offended, and if anything it'll create a special bond between the girl and her grandparent/s. 

Trust me, I've met Thais with more than one nickname and it really isn't a big deal to them.

Don't think too much :wink:

On 4/18/2017 at 10:59 PM, saakura said:

You come across as a really sweet grandad. One thing that comes to my mind is something i read a long time ago : A rose by any other name will smell just as sweet. 

Whatever her nickname, i think you will love her just the same. Lucky girl!

Whilst I totally agree with your comments I do have some sympathy with the original poster although as the grandfather unfortunately his call is limited

On a broader scale and although I accept it is the custom to give a nick name to a child a I cannot understand why you would give a beautiful name to a child then for the rest of their life they are called frog prawn chicken etc etc

We have a baby girl who we have called Sumalee ( beautiful flower) which as far as I am concerned she is and as long as I breathe air and despite Thai custom that will be her name

When I am asked what is her nick name I say she is Thai, a Buddhist and called Sumalee that is enough custom and tradition

On 4/18/2017 at 3:59 PM, saakura said:

You come across as a really sweet grandad. One thing that comes to my mind is something i read a long time ago : A rose by any other name will smell just as sweet. 

Whatever her nickname, i think you will love her just the same. Lucky girl!

This.

:wai:

Ive run into more than my fair share of Ois, Nois, Aes, Bees, Poos, Moos and so on….but the most delightful thai nickname Ive heard is Poppy.

Haven't yet come across a thai who can mis-pronounce that.

5 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

cos its street talk for meth…yaba…shabu etc

Said that nearly 2 weeks ago mate in my first post on the topic but anyhow still no reason to hate it

Edited by starky