Honda PCX 150 Dashboard Lights Replacement

GaryB1263

On 01/05/2017 at 0:33 PM, Richard-BKK said:

If Honda has a known problem with the dashboard, would not more people complain? I remember the few days before Honda confirmed that they would recall the Honda CBR300R and CB300F for an engine problem, you could not open a motorcycle or automotive forum or you were confronted with people complaining about have issues...

Just Because it's a fairly common problem doesn't mean they will bother doing a recall.... 

Engine issues are one thing but a speedo lightbulb might not be serious enough to warrant a total recall 

You can get a cheap batch of nearly anything from China thesedays and sometimes most of them. Work but you have a few duds in the box... 

Edited by speedtripler

The LED lights in a Honda CBR250R dashboard are even easier to replace than with the Honda PCX150. I spoke with a few mechanics from a prominent Honda dealer in Bangkok, and all of the mechanics agreed that problems with the dashboard lights was a known issue but almost always the result of a small crash or dashboard damage by which moisture was able to enter the dashboard.

The LED lights in the Honda CBR250R dashboard are bigger and produce much more light, so lenses are not needed. Downside of this setup is that because of the larger printboard mounted LEDs, more heat is produced which with the right amount of moisture can cause problems.

Now should Honda have made the dashboard of the Honda CBR250R stronger or the sealing more rigid so it could withstand some more bumps? Maybe...

3 hours ago, Richard-BKK said:

The LED lights in a Honda CBR250R dashboard are even easier to replace than with the Honda PCX150. I spoke with a few mechanics from a prominent Honda dealer in Bangkok, and all of the mechanics agreed that problems with the dashboard lights was a known issue but almost always the result of a small crash or dashboard damage by which moisture was able to enter the dashboard.

The LED lights in the Honda CBR250R dashboard are bigger and produce much more light, so lenses are not needed. Downside of this setup is that because of the larger printboard mounted LEDs, more heat is produced which with the right amount of moisture can cause problems.

Now should Honda have made the dashboard of the Honda CBR250R stronger or the sealing more rigid so it could withstand some more bumps? Maybe...

Well my cbr250r has never been crashed, not even dropped on it's side and the lights failed and I know 2 other owners the same.

I think the crash excuse for the failures is just that....an excuse to cover up a failure of the leds.

I too suspect a moisture problem but to try and blame the owners non existent crashes as the cause is just wrong.

• Like 1

If the dashboard LEDs failure happened because of moisture, and you didn’t fix it right away, the moisture will probably speed-up oxidization of more electronic components and electronic pathway on printboard.

Honda has a 3-year warranty on the electronics of your motorcycle, but with corrosion of the electronic printboard you will likely lose all warranty claims because of neglect maintenance…

1 hour ago, Richard-BKK said:

If the dashboard LEDs failure happened because of moisture, and you didn’t fix it right away, the moisture will probably speed-up oxidization of more electronic components and electronic pathway on printboard.

Honda has a 3-year warranty on the electronics of your motorcycle, but with corrosion of the electronic printboard you will likely lose all warranty claims because of neglect maintenance…

My problem started just out of warranty. Bike was serviced as per schedule. I can live without a backlight as I hardly do any riding at night.

• 1 year later...

Sorry for necroposting guys, just saw this post and I don't read much about motorcycles. Anyway, all generations of PCS tend to leak water into the dashboard which kills LEDs. I have repaired few dosens of them, replacing LEDs, restoring PCBs etc. The only thing I couldn't find so far is replacement LCD screen. Photo below is taken today, look what I found inside the dashboard (apart from moisture) , no idea how he managed to get inside ????

Roach on Honda PCX PCB.jpg