Honda PCX 150 Dashboard Lights Replacement

GaryB1263

Gary, I am glad you posted this as I have the same problem.   The speedometer bar itself is visible, but not the numbers.   I brought it to Mityon Honda in Pattaya, and was told it needed a NEW SPEEDOMETER assembly.  The "bulbs" are small LED lights on a printed circuit board.  Yes, papa al, an experienced scooter tech might be able to fix, but I think it would require soldering bulbs on a board.   Anyway, I was told I needed a new speedometer.   The cost from Honda:    5,000 baht!!!!    I hope someone has a more reasonable solution.

• Like 2

Fixing the lights in the dashboard is not that difficult. When I was younger I did it myself, but now-a-day, if a dashboard of a modern motorcycle/scooter go’s dark I disassemble the complete meter assembly and bring the electric board to my local television repair shop… 2 day later pick it up and fixed cost 300 THB… hardly worth the money to do it yourself…

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Richard-BKK said:

Fixing the lights in the dashboard is not that difficult. When I was younger I did it myself, but now-a-day, if a dashboard of a modern motorcycle/scooter go’s dark I disassemble the complete meter assembly and bring the electric board to my local television repair shop… 2 day later pick it up and fixed cost 300 THB… hardly worth the money to do it yourself…

That's interesting. Can you use the bike while the board is being repaired?

8 minutes ago, GaryB1263 said:

That's interesting. Can you use the bike while the board is being repaired?

To be honest, I never tried it – on some modern motorcycles/scooters the dashboard is also houses some essential electronics for the operation of the motorcycle. In the case of a Honda PCX150 you probably can use the scoot, but I would not recommend it….

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PC800 said:

Gary, I am glad you posted this as I have the same problem.   The speedometer bar itself is visible, but not the numbers.   I brought it to Mityon Honda in Pattaya, and was told it needed a NEW SPEEDOMETER assembly.  The "bulbs" are small LED lights on a printed circuit board.  Yes, papa al, an experienced scooter tech might be able to fix, but I think it would require soldering bulbs on a board.   Anyway, I was told I needed a new speedometer.   The cost from Honda:    5,000 baht!!!!    I hope someone has a more reasonable solution.

i stand corrected.

good idea R-BKK ++

&

papa goes weeks without ever looking down at speedo.

whats the point of it?

dunno.

Back in the world,

different story.

speeding tick very expensive.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PC800 said:

1) Find and download the honda part manual for your PCX (download for the correct year).

2) Search for the bulb's part number, write it down, go to any Honda shop and ask to buy the bulb, it's gona cost you 10-20 baht max and any honda shop will have the part.

3) Change it yourself

The part number to fix this is 37210-K36-A01, it's basically the whole electronic back (printboard) plate of the dashboard. It's also one of the most expensive part of the Honda PCX150 which is not engine related...

You can un-solder and solder new LED light on the print board pretty easy, but as I'm getting older I prefer to let somebody else do it... For fun you can change the LED light colors, most people who un-solder and solder new LED lights are modifiers that want more exotic color in the dashboard...

• Like 1

Most of the time when the light in the dashboard of a modern motorcycle/scooter is failing, it has a problem that moister has got into the dashboard. The most common problem doesn't even involve the LEDs, most of the time the lense has moved a millimeter or 2 and the light of the LED is not direct into the lense anymore... Both the moister and dislocated lense can happen when the motorcycle or scoot falls or is involved in an accident... The dashboard can look on the outside perfect but internal it had a blow, or a seal has been broken...

By the way the problem is not only related to Honda, other manufacturers like Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki also use soldered on LED lights in the dashboard. If you really don't like LEDs soldered on the printboard, you should buy a Lifan, Zongshen, GPX or another Chinese motorcycle, as they often still use the good old light bulbs in the dashboard....

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, GaryB1263 said:

It sickens me. Honda was suppose to be better.

Tbh I am very happy with my cbr250r. 45k km's in 5 years and the backlight has been the only problem.

Unless I win the lotto my next bike will be a Honda in which case an MV Augusta will be on order before wifey gets a chance to spend it.

Edited by edwinchester
  • Like 1

If the LEDs are not damaged, a complete Honda PCX150 LENS assembly (part number 37211-K45-305) will set you back a few hundred THB... If in a serious bump the gasket has got damaged, a new gasket will also cost you a few hundred THB (Honda part number 37205-K35-V01). But often disassembling the dashboard and reassembling with the gasket in the correct way will be enough... If by some stupidity the dashboard case got damaged and has cracked, a new complete case assembly will cost you around 1000 THB (Honda part number 37212-K35-V01).

Time to repair, 15 to 20 minutes... not rushing it...

Edited by Richard-BKK
  • Like 1

I thought hondas have a 3 or   5 yr warranty 

if the speedo lights  stopped working id argue this should be covered before paying a few K to fix it 

(providing it failed inside the warranty period )

although ,bear in mind TIT and the customer is not even right ,hes a nuisance ;)

12 hours ago, speedtripler said:

I thought hondas have a 3 or   5 yr warranty 

if the speedo lights  stopped working id argue this should be covered before paying a few K to fix it 

(providing it failed inside the warranty period )

although ,bear in mind TIT and the customer is not even right ,hes a nuisance ;)

99.9 percent of lights in the dashboard not working is the result of a crash or the motorcycle falling. Anything that stops working as a result of a crash or the motorcycle / scoot falling is not covered by the warranty of the motorcycle/scoot.

8 minutes ago, Richard-BKK said:

99.9 percent of lights in the dashboard not working is the result of a crash or the motorcycle falling. Anything that stops working as a result of a crash or the motorcycle / scoot falling is not covered by the warranty of the motorcycle/scoot.

Except that 2 mechanics have now told me Honda have a known problem in their LCD displays with the backlights failing.

If Honda has a known problem with the dashboard, would not more people complain? I remember the few days before Honda confirmed that they would recall the Honda CBR300R and CB300F for an engine problem, you could not open a motorcycle or automotive forum or you were confronted with people complaining about have issues...

20 hours ago, Richard-BKK said:

If Honda has a known problem with the dashboard, would not more people complain? I remember the few days before Honda confirmed that they would recall the Honda CBR300R and CB300F for an engine problem, you could not open a motorcycle or automotive forum or you were confronted with people complaining about have issues...

Complaints on the cbr250r.net forum going back a few years too.