Songkran hit by violence

webfact

We went to the wife's village for songkran. Each area has their day for playing there. We play 14th and 14th only.

Normally no issues but this year one of the neighbouring village's turned up to cause trouble and one started waving a gun around.

My crazy sister in law told him to grow up and piss off. And surprisingly he did. I told my sister in law never do something so stupid again. They have already lost a brother to a gun we don't want to lose another i told her.

Before that we went to the neighbouring village to play because our niece was in the Miss Songkran competition. A couple started drinking and playing water with me. We had a good laugh on Sang Som and spraying each other.

I later found out the male of the 2 went on his bike after came off and now his face is disfigured.

Just 2 incidents this year in a normally small trouble free area.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Young boys with weapons and big egos, boys in adult skins pampered by their mothers who have become entitled, low EQ, low IQ, incapable of dealing with loss, rejection, or that terrible plague 'loss of face'. What a pathetic generation we are now seeing. Are these Thailan's future leaders?

Young boys with weapons and big egos, boys in adult skins pampered by their mothers who have become entitled, low EQ, low IQ, incapable of dealing with loss, rejection, or that terrible plague 'loss of face'. What a pathetic generation we are now seeing. Are these Thailan's future leaders?

Fortunately i also know some very well educated modern thinking young Thais.

There is hope for the country but a drastic change in the country based mindset needs to change for it too really prosper.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, englishinsiam said:

We went to the wife's village for songkran. Each area has their day for playing there. We play 14th and 14th only.

Normally no issues but this year one of the neighbouring village's turned up to cause trouble and one started waving a gun around.

My crazy sister in law told him to grow up and piss off. And surprisingly he did. I told my sister in law never do something so stupid again. They have already lost a brother to a gun we don't want to lose another i told her.

Before that we went to the neighbouring village to play because our niece was in the Miss Songkran competition. A couple started drinking and playing water with me. We had a good laugh on Sang Som and spraying each other.

I later found out the male of the 2 went on his bike after came off and now his face is disfigured.

Just 2 incidents this year in a normally small trouble free area.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

What is the multiplier factor???

I used to like Songkran in Samui a few years back.  It was all quite light hearted, and people mainly only used buckets. It was about mixing with the locals and joining in with their celebrations.  Boozy still of course, but respectful.

More recently Songkran in Samui seems to have been taken over by hyperactive, farang white vested gym bunnies with beards and huge sophisticated water guns; the bigger the better it seems. It's become more of a mass water fight for macho egos rather than 'playing' with water. I avoid Songkran these days for those reasons.   

God I sound old...

5 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Well sir 2 serious incidents in a small area one would have to wonder the consequences and the number there of in the whole country just supposin.

I agree with what you are saying, but my understanding of the multiplier effect comes from economics, where it refers to a chain of events, so a factory closes down and not only does it result in the workers being unemployed, but also ancilliary workers, in turn the local shopkeeper, and then the paperboy. Hence it goes 1000- 400- 200-100, etc.

I guess you could say that witnessing scenes of violence in Bkk, or elsewhere, leads to some incidents in villages. That would be a sort of multiplier effect.

12 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I think the stupid Farangs are mainly responsible for being aggressive and drunk in Pattaya at Songcran.

lol.

this is a very ignorant statement. 99% of that violence occurs without any foreigner around.

12 hours ago, mercman24 said:

and there was a headline post on here recently saying, "why cant us farangs be like thais and enjoy ourselves more" i did comment on the rest of the year they are killing each other now it would seem they are doing it 365 days of the year lol !!

it's really easy to understand. there is a relation between enjoyment, freedom and violence, deaths.

try to get some good & cheap fun in the world's safest countries and report back...

20 hours ago, edwinchester said:

This is what happens when a respectful Buddhist holiday gets turned into a money making week long piss up.

Perhaps all alcohol sales should be stopped for the Songkran holiday? Return it to a celebration rather than drunken mayhem.

6 hours ago, manarak said:

lol.

this is a very ignorant statement. 99% of that violence occurs without any foreigner around.

Absolute garbage, don't you read the reports see the videos about the Farang scum in Pattaya, and you say it is only 1%.

and don't use the word ignorant when referring to me.

13 hours ago, mommysboy said:

I agree with what you are saying, but my understanding of the multiplier effect comes from economics, where it refers to a chain of events, so a factory closes down and not only does it result in the workers being unemployed, but also ancilliary workers, in turn the local shopkeeper, and then the paperboy. Hence it goes 1000- 400- 200-100, etc.

I guess you could say that witnessing scenes of violence in Bkk, or elsewhere, leads to some incidents in villages. That would be a sort of multiplier effect.

Good comeback but it goes well beyond monkey see monkey do. Catch you later I am  out of bananas. 

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

Good comeback but it goes well beyond monkey see monkey do. Catch you later I am  out of bananas. 

Well, in case offence was taken, I was just explaining the multiplier effect as opposed to the 'copycat effect'.

I think I made the point very politely.  Personally, I am always happy to be informed like this.

1 minute ago, mommysboy said:

Well, in case offence was taken, I was just explaining the multiplier effect as opposed to the 'copycat effect'.

I think I made the point very politely.  Personally, I am always happy to be informed like this.

Yes indeedee you did make it politely for which I thank you. If you have any spare time I think you should open a politeness class well maybe just a refresher course. Some here are in need. They are diamonds in the rough in need of a bit of polishing. 

1 minute ago, elgordo38 said:

Yes indeedee you did make it politely for which I thank you. If you have any spare time I think you should open a politeness class well maybe just a refresher course. Some here are in need. They are diamonds in the rough in need of a bit of polishing. 

I do agree with you, the violence at Songkran is symptomatic of a deeper malaise in society imo. 

As regards TV forum, well I still like a good shin kick contest from time to time, but for many it is default mode:smile:

1 minute ago, mommysboy said:

I do agree with you, the violence at Songkran is symptomatic of a deeper malaise in society imo. 

As regards TV forum, well I still like a good shin kick contest from time to time, but for many it is default mode:smile:

I like a good shin kick contest (must be the crusader gene in all of us) myself but some come on like a buzz saw especially the ones that try to sound intelligent by opening up with comments like "Hey stupid" Some of my fellow man may be stupid but it is not in my position to tell them let them figure it out. Well carry on. 

On 20/04/2017 at 9:17 AM, Kabula said:

After 11 years living here I dread Songkron more each year.

One has to wonder with all the deaths, injuries, and complains why they continue it each year.

Yes but you don't enter the Spirit of the idiotic water throwers. You must repeat after me. I am an old fuddy duddy. Bet you use to like Songkran. 

5 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

Yes but you don't enter the Spirit of the idiotic water throwers. You must repeat after me. I am an old fuddy duddy. Bet you use to like Songkran. 

Never liked it and the agenda behind it.