MAS signs up minute-by-minute plane tracking system

webfact

MAS signs up minute-by-minute plane tracking system

248_MAS.jpg

KUALA LUMPUR: -- Malaysia Airlines has signed up to a new system which will track its planes minute-by-minute – three years after the unexplained disappearance of Flight MH370 with 239 crews and passengers on its way from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing in March 2014, according to New Straits Times Online on Thursday.

The new space-based tracking system due to become operational from 2018 was developed by US-0based Aireon which is working with FlightAware on plane tracking. It will be delivered to Malaysian Airlines by Sitaonair which provides connectivity products to airlines and works with FlightAware on tracking.

Instead of sending tracking signals to ground stations – which means planes’ locations can be lost over oceans or remote areas – the new system will beam them to satellites providing global coverage. It uses existing data from planes and does not require any modifications to aircraft.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/mas-signs-minute-minute-plane-tracking-system/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-04-20

Actually, both Thailand and Malaysia failed to spot the plane's trajectory, and the plane most likely traversed the peninsula where their two borders meet.  If they can't spot a large passenger jet lumbering by their borders, then what the heck can their radar do?   Perhaps it's just a hollow non-functioning expensive showcase, like the 25,000 security cameras which never work in Bangkok.

8 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

Actually, both Thailand and Malaysia failed to spot the plane's trajectory, and the plane most likely traversed the peninsula where their two borders meet.  If they can't spot a large passenger jet lumbering by their borders, then what the heck can their radar do?   Perhaps it's just a hollow non-functioning expensive showcase, like the 25,000 security cameras which never work in Bangkok.

The AIS tracking stopped when the plane was heading on route towards north.

The only evidence as far as I recall for the plane heading to south-west, was a single or multiple pings to a satellite. There were no other sensory devices involved.

The distance to the plane was estimated by the timedifferaction and the hovering of the  satellite itself (one thing I don't understand how, possibly due gravitation changes). Anyway, the signal delay must have been altered due distance. 

When the satellite company, after various rechecks announced the findings, they were locked to the announcement. Multi million research was ongoing. Even if the findings were later found wrong, there was no way back anymore.

Those are tricky situations for engineers. Specially when strong leader insists everything will be all right in time. 

2 minutes ago, oilinki said:

The only evidence as far as I recall for the plane heading to south-west, was a single or multiple pings to a satellite. There were no other sensory devices involved.

The distance to the plane was estimated by the timedifferaction and the hovering of the  satellite itself (one thing I don't understand how, possibly due gravitation changes). Anyway, the signal delay must have been altered due distance. 

When the satellite company, after various rechecks announced the findings, they were locked to the announcement. Multi million research was ongoing. Even if the findings were later found wrong, there was no way back anymore.

Those are tricky situations for engineers. Specially when strong leader insists everything will be all right in time. 

There is a lot more to this story IMHO. The whole scenario does not add up. It went missing over an area that the US, Thailand and others were conducting military exercises. And firing missiles at drones? Ahh another theory. The one country to benefit from this is Aust, who had a huge area of sea bottom surveyed for them at little cost. In the one place the aircraft did not crash land. And some objects placed in the Indian Ocean had Sth China sea creatures on them. More scallywag? Maybe.

3 hours ago, spiderorchid said:

There is a lot more to this story IMHO. The whole scenario does not add up. It went missing over an area that the US, Thailand and others were conducting military exercises. And firing missiles at drones? Ahh another theory. The one country to benefit from this is Aust, who had a huge area of sea bottom surveyed for them at little cost. In the one place the aircraft did not crash land. And some objects placed in the Indian Ocean had Sth China sea creatures on them. More scallywag? Maybe.

I guess there are two (or three) possibilities

1) The pilot planned the incident way ahead it happened.

He sealed himself to the cockpit. Disabled AIS etc. Flew the plane for some time, set autopilot on and killed himself.

In this scenario, the co-pilot and other crew had many hours to get to the cockpit. Or to send emergency signal in some other way. The timing is from satellite pings.

2) There was an internal or international accident which had to be kept quiet.      Misfire, Murder, Terrorist activity, most likely just pure accident.

The problem is that people want generally tell the truth and are horrible keeping secrets.

58 minutes ago, oilinki said:

I guess there are two (or three) possibilities

He sealed himself to the cockpit. Disabled AIS etc. Flew the plane for some time, set autopilot on and killed himself.

In this scenario, the co-pilot and other crew had many hours to get to the cockpit. Or to send emergency signal in some other way. The timing is from satellite pings.

2) There was an internal or international accident which had to be kept quiet

Misfire, Murder, Terrorist activity, most likely just pure accident.

The problem is that people want generally tell the truth and are horrible keeping secrets.

It is all maybe isn't it. In Ukraine, there is enough general media reports to indict Russia for the BOK missile attacks. Including the missile launch vehicle re locating to Russia, and radio intercepts. All available on media at that time. US did nothing even though they had a satellite over the area. The same is true of this mishap. It is you keep quiet, we keep quiet. QED or almost 

7 minutes ago, spiderorchid said:

It is all maybe isn't it. In Ukraine, there is enough general media reports to indict Russia for the BOK missile attacks. Including the missile launch vehicle re locating to Russia, and radio intercepts. All available on media at that time. US did nothing even though they had a satellite over the area. The same is true of this mishap. It is you keep quiet, we keep quiet. QED or almost 

MAS 17 was shot down by Russia / Russian baby forces with Russian missile.

There is no doubt about it. 

Russian enabled forces murdered a lot of civilians / innocent people with that stupid shot.

Russia showed it was just a chicken bully, not to bear responsibility, like a man. Instead Russia acted like weasel it really is.

6 hours ago, oilinki said:

Military radar, which countries use for defense, doesn't rely on AIS or pings.  It should work for any large airborne object.  Both Malaysia's and Thailand's radar didn't work for the MAS jet.  Either that, or they're withholding data.  Why would those countries' defense apparatus' withhold data?  I think it's the former reason:  Both Malaysia and Thailand have faulty defense radar facilities and/or personnel who should be minding it, aren't.  It's just one facet of the compound screw-ups of the missing jet.

My beliefs, on what happened, in this, in a nutshell:   The pilot was a big fan of Anwar.  The day before the flight, Anwar was convicted of trumped-up charges by a Malaysian kangaroo court.  The pilot was angry and depressed (he had been preparing for that eventuallity - several proofs of that).  I also think (sorry if this sounds like a conspiracy theory) that the pilot made a threat to the airport conning tower as he was preparing to take off.   Something like, "Get a message to the president to set Anwar free, or I'm going to crash this plane with everyone on board."   There was no recording released from the conning tower, from that day, that I've heard about.

Note:  Anwar had a longtime friend who was an elder lawyer.   Late at night, 2 or 3 days after the plane-loss incident, the lawyer was driving across town (KL?) to an important meeting (I believe it was to meet a journalist).  Along the way, with streets nearly empty, his car was T-boned smashed by a truck at full speed.  The lawyer died.  The trucker was never found or pursued.

Edited by boomerangutang

27 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

Military radar, which countries use for defense, doesn't rely on AIS or pings.  It should work for any large airborne object.  Both Malaysia's and Thailand's radar didn't work for the MAS jet.  Either that, or they're withholding data.  Why would those countries' defense apparatus' withhold data?  I think it's the former reason:  Both Malaysia and Thailand have faulty defense radar facilities and/or personnel who should be minding it, aren't.  It's just one facet of the compound screw-ups of the missing jet.

I dont think its a case of didnt see it, its more a case of at the time they were not looking for it. There are a couple of reputable documentaries  out there that mention, in hindsight after pulling out the old tapes, that it is there. And given that the pilot navigated on the borders of the Flight Information Regions (FIR), anyone who saw it presumed it was under control of the other region. I think there is reluctant acknowledgement that, when they look back at recordings,  it appeared on military radar, but no great acknowledgement that nothing was done about it. Most of the flight path was in the boundaries of geographical, ATC and military radar borders, at the time no one was looking for it, if they saw it "someone elses problem.

Australia has military radar that tracks parts of the region and not much information is forthcoming. In theory, Australian military radar was capable of tracking a flight that spent up to 6 hours in monitored airspace..

47721_900.jpg

7 hours ago, oilinki said:

That appears to be the case, isnt there now proof that the flight path was found on the pilots home computer and had been deleted. The flight path deliberatly flies around ATC boundaries etc. You would have to presume either the co-pilot was in on it or tied up drugged etc, the rest of the crew would be unaware of any change.

Wow only took 3 posts and we have some one bashing bangkok. Only on TV can a story about an aeroplane in Malaysia turn into a story about failed cameras in bangkok

4 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

As I recall, both Thai and (eventually) Malaysian military radar eventually confirmed the original course change from a northeast heading, a dog-legged turn across the peninsula near the common border before heading off southeast. The big deal was the military of both countries not readily admitting that the 'lights were on but nobody was home' when it came to having someone watching their defense radar screens. A bit like the 'CCTV cameras weren't working' sort of excuse.

Either way, the odds are against MAS having another aircraft 'lost' this way and it would be more interesting to see how many other airlines, particularly ones that traverse hostile areas or vast tracts of open land and water subscribe to this service.

Edited by NanLaew