‘Buddha’s footprint’ found on Surat Thani mountain

webfact

Just now, onthesoi said:

What we do know for sure is that an Indian philosopher left his footprint on the entire country of Thailand.

Euhhhh... the alleged sayings of that Indian hiso (or prince, warrior, war lord, your choice) were recorded in writing by his followers about 400 years after he sat under a tree some time after deserting his wife.

Of course all that does not make those thoughts / their later interpretation invalid.

But unfortunately these thoughts  are clearly flawed.

PS Does "onthesoi" stand for Jack Kerouac?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Euhhhh... the alleged sayings of that Indian hiso (or prince, warrior, war lord, your choice) were recorded in writing by his followers about 400 years after he sat under a tree some time after deserting his wife.

Of course all that does not make those thoughts / their later interpretation invalid.

But unfortunately these thoughts  are clearly flawed.

Thai Buddhism is a heady mix of Siddartha, Animism and superstition, I don't think it claims to be pure Buddhism?  It actually very similar to the Dalai Lamas version or Tibetan Buddhism in a lot of ways.

If you ask a hundred Thais what Buddhism means to them you'll probably get a hundred different answers, not to mention all the various sects promoted by the temples themselves.

So not sure how much play you will get from sweeping statements on it's validity ....compared to say, Catholicism which is heavily regulated & standardised.

However, it does appear to bring comfort to a lot of people and does a lot of good particularly in the small, poor villages.

...and Buddhist countries, like Thailand, tend to produce a laid back populace. ..compared say to the Judaeo-Christian or even Secular equivalents.

As for your Sal Paradise query I'll leave you to make up your own mind on that!

20 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Do the Thais have any books or reading matter concerning life here 2000 years ago?

modern Thai as a written language is quite recent historically speaking, whether they had a written language of sorts 2000 years ago i couldn't say but if so it would be mostly ghost stories written on the backs  of slaves,a walking library so to speak. 

On 21/04/2017 at 0:47 AM, oldhippy said:

Last December wife and I went to Nepal - and had the same experience as you.

Monks that walk around with their smartphone in hand and eat "biff" (kwai beef, in a majority hindu country......

As for Sri Lanka, the buddhists there recently  won a bloody civil war against the hindus.

As long as the believers do not bother the non believers, there is no harm done. But taking them seriously? No Way!

PS. Currently travelling in  Portugal. Visited a church where you can insert coins in an automat to make electric candles burn.

Modern times!

P1250517.JPG

Sort of 'we will now take the solemn oath'

'Open your wallets and repeat after me'

Help yourself.

Gullible stupid people in some parts of the world comes from lack of education and being surrounded by liars, scammers and thieves

You're right, what chance do the rest of us have when the leader of the strongest nation in earth normally chooses to place his hand on the Bible when making his oath. :blink: (If you're not aware the Bible is a good book that contains some marvelous tales that 2.2 Billion people believe are the truth stemming from an invisible sky god who "works in mysterious ways" - it's out for when he lets some really effed up shit happen) [emoji6]

Or it could be Thailand's version of Bigfoot.

I thought I was Thailand's version of big foot since I can't buy shoes that I want. :mellow: Don't you just hate going into a shop and then just saying, "Bring me anything in the biggest size you have'' Then you're presented with 2 shitty pairs of shoes, inevitably buy one pair and then spend the rest of the week looking down at your fake yellow crocodile skin boots thinking, "Why didn't I just buy that extra pair of dress shoes when I was home last month" But that's for another topic :)

On 4/20/2017 at 3:06 PM, thequietman said:

No, they said its the Buddah's foot print in their province. He clearly wasn't there. I don't think anyone is claiming the same for Jesus' foot print, although I could be wrong.

You are wrong! Have you ever looked into the idea of actually reading the article before posting?

No. OK this is from the article: < Asia has thousands of “natural” Buddha footprints imbedded in rock, chiefly in Japan and Sri Lanka, usually appreciated for their symbolic value rather than as literal relics.>

1 hour ago, hEaDy said:

You are wrong! Have you ever looked into the idea of actually reading the article before posting?

No. OK this is from the article: < Asia has thousands of “natural” Buddha footprints imbedded in rock, chiefly in Japan and Sri Lanka, usually appreciated for their symbolic value rather than as literal relics.>

I think it's important to keep everything in context. All of this is nonsense, should it be the Buddha's feet or Jesus' feet in any natural made phenomena. Why can't the markings be of Tony Wilson's feet or my grannies feet or what about, Jesus' face in a piece of toast. Where do we draw the line? 

On a secondary note, there is a man made ball sack in stone in my province. Do you think it belongs to ....... ?

Jesus toast might sell in America.  Could be the next big  thing.  Just have to figure out how to get his face on the toast.

7 minutes ago, thequietman said:

I think it's important to keep everything in context. All of this is nonsense, should it be the Buddha's feet or Jesus' feet in any natural made phenomena. Why can't the markings be of Tony Wilson's feet or my grannies feet or what about, Jesus' face in a piece of toast. Where do we draw the line? 

On a secondary note, there is a man made ball sack in stone in my province. Do you think it belongs to ....... ?

Ya right!

These kinds of reports tend to make me laugh. What REAL evidence is there to base such a comment?

Typical! It must have been a monks foot imprint...

In a rural village, I once lived within, a very small face of a so called monk was suddenly and amazingly noticed, protruding out of a stone wall within the grounds of a local and very old temple!

As you can imagine, the reported story, went over the top.

The so called monks head, was simply a folly. It was an obvious attempt at stimulating interest and subsequently stirring up emotions, especially amongst devout followers who sadly would part with all their worldly goods, in the name of religion. Or should it be termed, corruption!?

Candid camera comes to mind.

Or more like, yet an other attempt at extorting funds from mainly the weak and elderly and no doubt,
Ike wise, with the reported so called, monks foot.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, survivalblue said:

Jesus toast might sell in America.  Could be the next big  thing.  Just have to figure out how to get his face on the toast.

Yossoul Ben Yosef,thought he was the son of God. He told the masses that the meek would inherit the earth(i hope he was wrong on that score)He Upset the San Hedrin Purposely, and caused people to follow him because he was charismatic.Most of the people that did follow him ended up dying i excruciating agony, Peter and Andrew to name two.John was held captive in some Mediterranean country for the rest of his life until he was poisoned.And it is said that he performed miracles, I put this down to hysteria on the part of the witnesses.

This was obviously a confused and delusional man, who believed that he was born to die a vile, painful and degrading death, after he had been almost flayed alive.To me this man was an enemy of the people, not the Messiah.

Who on earth would want to claim to have his footprint on any mountain, sacred or not? Two thousand years later, he is still causing wars. And the tales, which are kept alive by the Catholic church, and any church that follows him, come to that, is making fortunes out of him.

When Caiaphas was told that the tomb stone had been removed and there was no corpse inside, Caiaphas, is meant to have said "well that's the end of that".

It was Zerah, the forward seeing, scribe , who said "this is just the beginning"

16 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Yossoul Ben Yosef,thought he was the son of God. He told the masses that the meek would inherit the earth(i hope he was wrong on that score)He Upset the San Hedrin Purposely, and caused people to follow him because he was charismatic.Most of the people that did follow him ended up dying i excruciating agony, Peter and Andrew to name two.John was held captive in some Mediterranean country for the rest of his life until he was poisoned.And it is said that he performed miracles, I put this down to hysteria on the part of the witnesses.

This was obviously a confused and delusional man, who believed that he was born to die a vile, painful and degrading death, after he had been almost flayed alive.To me this man was an enemy of the people, not the Messiah.

Who on earth would want to claim to have his footprint on any mountain, sacred or not? Two thousand years later, he is still causing wars. And the tales, which are kept alive by the Catholic church, and any church that follows him, come to that, is making fortunes out of him.

When Caiaphas was told that the tomb stone had been removed and there was no corpse inside, Caiaphas, is meant to have said "well that's the end of that".

It was Zerah, the forward seeing, scribe , who said "this is just the beginning"

Wasn't this about Buddha's foot print ?

1 hour ago, pentap said:

Ya right!

These kinds of reports tend to make me laugh. What REAL evidence is there to base such a comment?

Typical! It must have been a monks foot imprint...

In a rural village, I once lived within, a very small face of a so called monk was suddenly and amazingly noticed, protruding out of a stone wall within the grounds of a local and very old temple!

As you can imagine, the reported story, went over the top.

The so called monks head, was simply a folly. It was an obvious attempt at stimulating interest and subsequently stirring up emotions, especially amongst devout followers who sadly would part with all their worldly goods, in the name of religion. Or should it be termed, corruption!?

Candid camera comes to mind.

Or more like, yet an other attempt at extorting funds from mainly the weak and elderly and no doubt,
Ike wise, with the reported so called, monks foot.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I am quite surprised that my village hasn't hit the news, over a year ago the abbot died and his body didn't decay,it turned a little dark but that was it,he has been placed in a glass coffin and resides sometimes in the temple and sometimes in the house built for him on the temple grounds. I knew him quite well, a nice venerable old man who used to be an alcoholic in his younger days.

On 4/20/2017 at 1:34 PM, thequietman said:

Siddhartha is said to have spent 29 years as a prince in Kapilavastu, not Thailand. For the remaining 45 years of his life, the Buddha is said to have traveled in the Gangetic Plain, in what is now Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, and southern Nepal, not Thailand.

Anyone wanna tell them he was never in Thailand.

You beat me to it.

It's unbelievable that "Buddha land" knows squat about the Buddha. 

There are fundamentally 2 buddhisms:

European buddhism (the original buddhism?) - a trendy philosophy with good and bad to it.

Asian buddhism - a mix of religion (including a god) and superstition (including monks, lucky numbers, magical footprints).

11 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

There are fundamentally 2 buddhisms:

European buddhism (the original buddhism?) - a trendy philosophy with good and bad to it.

Asian buddhism - a mix of religion (including a god) and superstition (including monks, lucky numbers, magical footprints).

Did he leave any footprints in Europe ?