Thai exports expected to grow 4 per cent

webfact

Thai exports expected to grow 4 per cent
By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thailand’s exports are expected to grow by 4 per cent year on year in 2017, higher than the central bank’s forecast of 2.2 per cent, according to Kim Eng Securities. 

"We believe the key macro theme this year is that a synchronised global recovery appears to be underway and Asia has seen a robust recovery in exports. Agricultural exports have recovered and global oil prices are off their low base,” Kim Eng Securities said. 

“We highlight that shrimp exports have recovered. That was after a fall due to flooding temporarily lowering production, and allegations of shrimps from Thailand being contaminated by antibiotics, which were investigated by the US,” said Tim Lelahaphan, Thailand economist at Kim Eng.

“In addition, Thai poultry exports may benefit due to many countries’ restrictions on US’ poultry exports after an outbreak of bird flu and the fallout from Brazil’s meat scandal,” he said. “According to our discussion with a company, global chicken consumption will not be disrupted. And based on the experience during China’s food safety scandal, the current restrictions on poultry exports from some countries could last for at least six months,” Tim added. 

“Until the event reverses, and depending on Thailand’s capability to supply the markets, the additional export volumes together with the expected 10-per-cent price increase should benefit Thailand’s agricultural sector and exports. Chicken exports account for 1 per cent of Thailand’s total exports,” Tim said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/30312897

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-04-21

34 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I expect the £ to be around 65 baht within the next 5 or 6 months but I have no experience in international finance or global trends.

My fortune teller said 60, but after I gave him a 25% tip, he upped his prediction to 80.

I predict positive predictions will increase 50% this coming year and each lottery will be won by a lucky number that will match a number plate, a bark formation found on a lucky 200 year old tree or provided by a monk after handing over vast amounts of cash....after the draw.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

allegations of shrimps from Thailand being contaminated by antibiotics, which were investigated by the US

Overlooking the other allegations investigated such as use of child labor in shrimp peeling and slavery conditions of shrimp laborers - none of which has been resolved.

Thai poultry exports may benefit due to many countries’ restrictions on US’ poultry exports after an outbreak of bird flu and the fallout from Brazil’s meat scandal,

Which  Tim Lelahaphan seems to discount:

Chicken exports account for 1 per cent of Thailand’s total exports

That's not going to contribute much to a 4% export growth rate.

Meanwhile Trump may want more quid pro quo in trade balance with Thailand and the seafood sector is an obvious target for more favorable US trade terms.