Scottish Conservatives open up lead over Scottish Labour - poll

webfact

Scottish Conservatives open up lead over Scottish Labour - poll

REUTERS

r3.jpg

The Union flag, Scotland's Saltire and the European Union flag all fly from Scotland's Parliament building at Holyrood in Edinburgh, December 20, 2016. REUTERS/Russell Cheyne/Files

LONDON (Reuters) - The Scottish Conservative Party has opened up a 10 percentage point lead over the Scottish Labour Party in an opinion poll, reaching 28 percent, while the Scottish National Party remains in front on 43 percent, pollster Survation said on Sunday.

"Survation's latest poll in Scotland on behalf of the Sunday Post shows the Scottish Conservatives at their highest level in either a Survation Westminster or a Holyrood (the devolved parliament) voting intention ever," Survation said in a statement.

The pollster said it had interviewed 1,018 Scots between April 18-21 for the survey.

(Reporting by Elizabeth Piper; editing by Jason Neely)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-04-24

Well we all know that polls mean very little at this stage but it is no surprise that Conservatives are set to take Labour seats in the upcoming election.  I suspect that they will take seats from the SNP too although I know some posters are sceptical of that.   This is going to be a long seven weeks but at least we have Trump for some light relief.

3 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Well we all know that polls mean very little at this stage but it is no surprise that Conservatives are set to take Labour seats in the upcoming election.  I suspect that they will take seats from the SNP too although I know some posters are sceptical of that.   This is going to be a long seven weeks but at least we have Trump for some light relief.

I think it is inevitable that they will take a couple of seats at least from the SNP. Hopefully, in return the SNP will take the seat of Mundell, although I hope the police will still pursue their investigation into his alleged fraud in relation to the 2015 GE.

I think what we are seeing are the hardcore BritNats throwing their weight behind the Tories, not necessarily because they are aligned to their political ideology, but because they see Labour as a lost cause in terms of saving the union - and. it would seem, increasingly authoritarian, right-wing isolationism, austerity for the poor and tax breaks for the rich, and the privatisation of the NHS are prices worth paying for the sake of God, Queen and Country. 

For the SNP to lose more than 6 seats, however, would require a swing away from them of about 20% - I am confident that this is not going to happen. 

2 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I think what we are seeing are the hardcore BritNats throwing their weight behind the Tories, not necessarily because they are aligned to their political ideology, but because they see Labour as a lost cause in terms of saving the union - and. it would seem, increasingly authoritarian, right-wing isolationism, austerity for the poor and tax breaks for the rich, and the privatisation of the NHS are prices worth paying for the sake of God, Queen and Country. 

I think that is fair comment.  Back in the day I was a Conservative voter  but now I just cannot endorse what May is doing to our country.  It is not just Brexit but also the domestic issues that are in a dire mess.  But where do I put my cross?  I live in an area that is seriously Tory heartland and I fear that my vote won't change anything locally.  So do I sit on my hands or vote for the Liberal Democrats? 

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

I think that is fair comment.  Back in the day I was a Conservative voter  but now I just cannot endorse what May is doing to our country.  It is not just Brexit but also the domestic issues that are in a dire mess.  But where do I put my cross?  I live in an area that is seriously Tory heartland and I fear that my vote won't change anything locally.  So do I sit on my hands or vote for the Liberal Democrats? 

The answer to your dilemma, the same dilemma we all have, is do you agree with the policies the LibDems are putting forward and do you believe them capable of leading the country?

Are they going to fight the election based on rescinding Article 50 in some way? (Juncke and Tusk have hinted that would be received very favorably). 

I'm not sure I like the way the current Convservative Party is going. Labor is a joke and LibDebs really lost their way. It's an effort to vote from overseas but I do worry too many people won't bother which can let the nutters like UKIP in.

5 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

The answer to your dilemma, the same dilemma we all have, is do you agree with the policies the LibDems are putting forward and do you believe them capable of leading the country?

Are they going to fight the election based on rescinding Article 50 in some way? (Juncke and Tusk have hinted that would be received very favorably). 

I'm not sure I like the way the current Convservative Party is going. Labor is a joke and LibDebs really lost their way. It's an effort to vote from overseas but I do worry too many people won't bother which can let the nutters like UKIP in.

I don't believe that the LibDems can win the election outright and I don't agree with all their policies but I am reluctantly looking for an option that I feel may not be just a wasted vote.  There may be an alliance deal out there but if that involves Labour/Lib Dem and SNP then that would be a complete disaster.  I cannot image that mix agreeing on anything.

I really am struggling here.  I am not worried about UKIP as I think they really are a spent force now and I am sure that the Conservatives will win comfortably.  That in itself is a dangerous thing as we have seen in the past in British politics.  I do believe that we should continue with Brexit but without it being the hard kind that May favours.